mtbr member

Raystown GPS Trail Files

Looking for GPS files (.gpx file preferably) for the trails at Raystown Park.

Does anyone have a link to a site that has them, or does anyone have a GPX file they can send me

Thanks
    LeftyMax

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I don't have ALL the trails, but what I have you're welcome to.

download linky

this is what we rode that day...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Geez Bear thats like 29 miles!!!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    Geez Bear thats like 29 miles!!!
    It was a good day.

But it's not complete - the whole other-side wasn't hit - gotta do that next time in addition to the above.

:P

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You only missed a couple of connector trails on this side! There are about 12 miles of trail on the other side that you would have to do a 16 mile ride to hit them all! Are you coming tomorrow? I have never been here but have been studying the map I bought off the website! I will be attending tomorrow with 5 others. We are stoked to ride here! Does anybody know why we can't ride trails on Saturday until 12:00? Our group loves to ride in the AM, that is the most beautiful time of the day(in my opinion) We were planning to go on a rideon Saturday like 8:30 AM till about lunch, then going back out around 3PM, but it seems like we won't be able to!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Alas, no, I can't make it this weekend - other obligations.

No clue about your other questions.

Have a great time.

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Spring turkey season is in, and the trails are on multi-use land. Hunters must stop hunting at noon and be out of the woods by 1 PM. It's a courtesy we like to follow to not ride while hunting may be taking place; especially during a short season with limited hunting hours.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I just don't get the fact that there is going to be about 700 mountain bikers at a scheduled( for months) event and were all gonna be held up because of 2 or 3 (maybe) turkey hunters!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Paul that will give us all more time to snuggle in the morning lol.

mtbr member
    I just don't get the fact that there is going to be about 700 mountain bikers at a scheduled( for months) event and were all gonna be held up because of 2 or 3 (maybe) turkey hunters!
    We have the same problem here at a state park, when hunting season is in it's frownd on that we ride during hunting season, and I can understand that, BUT, they (the hunters) NEVER help with a trail, and NEVER help to maintain them, BUT they do leave field cleanings, and other TRASH on or near the trails.

I am sorry, but they don't deserve to use the trails when they are treated like this. I am also a hunter, and I also fish and I do RESPECT the trails, we build and maintain them. If one MTBer screwed up and pissed off the park bad enough, I am sure it would stop for the MTBing, but the huntiing would go on !....it is B.S. !

mtbr member
    Thanks for the GPX file I will upload it and have a blast !

LeftyMax

The PA Game Commission administers just over 1.4 millions acres of Game Lands in the State that are explicitly closed to mountain biking during spring gobbler. I guess that's not enough.

Edit- BTW, for 2011 the Game Commission has revamped spring gobbler. Hunting will be permitted all day for the last two wks of the season. Think about how this logic not only affects DirtFest but also the Memorial Day Weekend.... "Sorry kids, we can go camping at the local State Park but can't wander outside the designated safezone that surrounds the campground... we have to pay courtesy to the turkey hunters." PA 2010-2011
    Last edited by jonz; 05-20-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    FWIW, the hunting season timings appear to be published a year or more in advance - advance of the event date being set IIRC. DirtRag *could* choose a date not constrained in such a way, but is it really such a huge issue for a 3-day event (with, say, 36 usable hours of daylight) that 5-6 hours of it can't be done in the park?

Believe me, I'm more in the MTBer than hunter side (I've *never* been hunting and have no inclination to change) *but* if it helps keep me having access to state lands I'm all for the sharing.