mtbr member

Raystown Bike Recommendation?

I feel pretty confident in my skills, but will be riding with my 11 & 15 yo beginners next weekend at Raystown. My goto bike is my good old standby Cannondale, followed by the Scott FS, then due to it's newness the 29er. My first inclination is to take the 29er since I want to get to know it intimately. Then I say that I can do anything (and have) on the C-dale, followed by the Scott FS since we'll be riding 3 days! Suggestions?
    1995 Cannondale M500, Amp F3XC Fork
    1996 Scott Vertigo LSD (FS), Judy XC Fork
    2009 Windsor Cliff 29 Pro, RS Tora Race

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    theres really no bad choice. Theres about 2 rock gardens in the whole place so no need for a big squish bike for technical reasons. Theres plenty of grade reversals that you can, if you want to or are not paying attention, catch alot of air so some people like a bigger bike for that. Any of your bikes will more than fine, so I would go with the 29er and get to know her a little better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The wife and I were there riding Friday,Sat, and Sunday(our first time). She had a Zaskar and I took my Turner Flux,(had the rear shock locked out all weekend).Any bike would be fine,but if I had a 29er I would be interested to see what that feels like.
    Man are you in for a good time !!!! Within 50 feet on our first trail,which was Allie,I was laughing and hollering like a little kid ! We're headed back in October.I can only imagine what that trail would be like if I were a local and knew it really well.
    A big THANK YOU !! to all the people who put in the time and sweat building those trails.Riding those trails really motivates me to get out and help more with trail building and maintenance.How you guys/gals cut some of those trails into the side of the hill and made them so much fun is awesome !!
    Like people have said b4 ,you can really build speed quickly and get yourself in trouble if your not careful,so beware ... Barrel Bay (i think that was the name) stands out in my mind as especially fun, and had some nice views of the lake below.

mtbr member
    NMBA - Thanks for info! The anticipation is killing me.

I was hoping I'd hear from you 73cuda, as I recalled from another thread that you were up there this past weekend. I'll be bringing the new 29er, and also giving her a workout at Boyce Park this weekend as a warm up. By the way, I normally use 70chevelle as my screen name. Here's a pic. Love to see yours if you have it.

Gravity's Gone
    I don't think you can go wrong with any steed at Raystown. I've ridden my everyday FS trailbike both times I was there, but I think you could have a blast riding anything from a fully rigid singlespeed to a big hit bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've only been to Raystown once, but I was thinking and couldn't come up with a really bad bike to ride there. I rode a geared rigid 29er and it was fun and I learned quickly to watch my speed. You really have to fight hard to stay on the ground in sections if you don't want to get airborne. I'd be tempted to try a fixie out there to see how it would go. The flow of the trails would make things a ton of tun, but I really don't to much jumping fixed gear style.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    theres really no bad choice. Theres about 2 rock gardens in the whole place so no need for a big squish bike for technical reasons. Theres plenty of grade reversals that you can, if you want to or are not paying attention, catch alot of air so some people like a bigger bike for that. Any of your bikes will more than fine, so I would go with the 29er and get to know her a little better.

your so wrong.....

26er can handle so much better. I hope Jester replies and relay his experience from going from his stumpy 29er to my Trance. His 29er was impossible to ride fast around the turns for either of us.

The most flickable pumpable bike is what you want. I think a Dirt Jumper with some seat post would be a blast there.

29er cant turn well at all, if you think they do then most likely you suck at cornering yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    your so wrong.....

26er can handle so much better. I hope Jester replies and relay his experience from going from his stumpy 29er to my Trance. His 29er was impossible to ride fast around the turns for either of us.

The most flickable pumpable bike is what you want. I think a Dirt Jumper with some seat post would be a blast there.

29er cant turn well at all, if you think they do then most likely you suck at cornering yourself.

Thanks - very helpful!

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toyman
    Thanks - very helpful!
    take the scott FS

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    your so wrong.....

Doesn't the Trance have a lower bottom bracket than many bikes. I know my Reign does. This at least in theory should make it very good at cornering. I have no clue of geometry of a Stumpjumper. I wouldn't completely rule out all 29ers because of a one bike vs one bike comparison. On the other hand most of the advantages of 29ers show up when there's stuff to run over which there isn't a whole lot of. Overall I think it would be hard to come up with a bad bike to ride at Raystown.

mtbr member
    If I can swing it, I think I'll load up 4 of the bikes on the rack, and then try and stuff one in the back of the Durango. Then I'll have choices (29er or Scott). Thanks again. I don't know if all this talk about "inadvertant" air is getting me excited (for me) or scared (for the wife & kids?). Either way, I can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by toyman
    NMBA - Thanks for info! The anticipation is killing me.

I was hoping I'd hear from you 73cuda, as I recalled from another thread that you were up there this past weekend. I'll be bringing the new 29er, and also giving her a workout at Boyce Park this weekend as a warm up. By the way, I normally use 70chevelle as my screen name. Here's a pic. Love to see yours if you have it.

Nice Chevelle ! I'd love to post a photo of mine,had a 72 Cuda (totalled by a drunk driver hitting me headon) and a 73 Challenger which I sold to buy a Harley back in 90'(dumb.dumb dumb... just as values of Cudas and Challengers started really taking off) been looking for another E body,which are alot harder to find now(unless you have a huge checkbook). Hope you have nice weather to enjoy Raystown
    FYI : Boxer's in Huntington gets 2 thumbs up for food and beverage quality and selection,and OIP Pizza makes a mighty tasty veggie pizza.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I rode my FS trailbike there, but I think a hardtail would be super fun.

Road Bike Review Member

LOL....I guess you dont race much then.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would take my lightest, quickest handling bike there and rip it up.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ridenfish39

LOL....I guess you dont race much then.
    youd be wrong.....

I was 12 outta of 160 this past weekend. 29er cant not corner as well, but for sure kick ass in flat rock gardens.

yes every bike that beat was a 29er, but thats due to more conditioned riders, which my conditioning sucks.

yes a trance has a super low BB which makes it a ripper in smooth twisty trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    your so wrong.....

Just because the geometry of the Stumpy is a little slow doesn't mean all 29ers feel slow and long like the Stumpy.