mtbr member
    May 2007

Rattling Creek V. Rocky Ridge

Coming from the philly area, I am going to be taking a day off from work soon to explore some new trails. I have settled on one of the above mentioned. Which do you prefer? I will be riding alone, so navigability is a factor. Looking for tech, rocks, miles and scenery. Hoping for some good suggestions from those who may have ridden both. Or should I add a third option from the area? Thanks!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    i'm biased, have only been twice to Rocky Ridge, but I prefer Rattling.

More "remote" feeling to me, the view from the hang glider launch can be great on a nice day, and is a great place for a break. Particularly if you started the ride from the Lykens side, gives you a chance to rest before hitting Rocks Ridge trail. ;^)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    These are two of my favorites. Both are pretty awesome.

On the one hand I would say to give Rattling Creek a shot since there is way more trail there. But it isn't the easiest to navigate. You can do, just pay close attention and use a GOOD map. Or maybe someone on here will be able to show you around.

Rocky Ridge doesn't have as much trail (maybe like 12 miles), but it is very easy to navigate and it's really really fun.

Can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is it easy enough to navigate if I'm out on my own?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'll try to dig up and share the maps I have for either. You can search the net and find them though.

If you search this forum there has also been a couple route suggestions posted these last few months.

Mtbproject.com may also have some.

smartass
    Both are fun places to ride, and both are Rocky and tech, but Rocky Ridge is a much easier place to ride. Rattling Creek feels "epic," Rocky Ridge feels like a cool little county park.

You can ride twice as many miles at Rattling Creek as you can at Rocky Ridge. It's more remote, feels like your really out in the woods, vs just in a little county park. Both aren't hard to navigate with a good map, but there's definitely less risk of getting lost at Rocky Ridge, just because it's small. Rocky has some fun downhills, Rattling is pretty much non stop pedaling.

Rattling Creek always leaves me feeling like I'm used up, Rocky always leaves me feeling like I could ride more (but I don't feel like riding all the same trails again).

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    link to a Rattling Creek map from 2008 => here

link to official park "gps trail map" => here

mtbr member
    I did not like the navigational ability of Rattling at all when my dad and I were there Sunday.

Had I not downloaded the GPX file (IMBA Epic loop) and put it in my Garmin Edge 510 there is NO WAY we would have made it through there at all. Believe it or not, we still made a wrong turn or two, but obviously were able to fix ourselved within 15 seconds as my Garmin cycles through the screens and the Map came back up.

Heck, we started going the wrong way. Could not find the beginning of the trail, until I zoomed in on the Garmin and got myself just looking in the right direction!

Those Garmins are ABSOLUTELY worth the money!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you're looking for more remote riding head to rattling creek. More miles than rocky ridge and a lot more obstacles to ride over or around. Rocky Ridge is easier to navigate. The current maps are pretty well detailed. It's on a smaller scale and civilization is pretty close. Rattling creek gives you that remote feeling. I've ridden most of it and there are a few spots where you need to have some idea of how to hook trails together to get a really great ride in. I'm pretty sure the latest map show the IMBA epic route. But overall Rattling creek is the better ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

As PA state forests go, Rattling Creek is better marked than all the others that I've ridden. Almost every trail head has a 5ft tall 4x4 post with the trail name clearly marked. You just need a good map and decent navigation skills. But it's still a large state forest, so don't go there expecting you're going to follow a yellow brick road.
    Here's the updated map from SAMBA: Weiser State Forest Map

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I actually find navigating at lot of the PA SF and SP trails easier than a bunch of the "look for a rock cairn or paint splat on a rock" style markers out west.

Of course, I haven't been in the western desert area since '12 so things may have changed a lot.

mtbr member
    Anytime someone brings up navigating a new to them trail system I recommend an app called Maprika if you have a smart phone. The Rocky Ridge trail map is already loaded on there. Turn the app on while riding and it traces your route on the trial map using GPS. I've ridden Rocky Ridge and it is not hard to navigate at all and is a lot of fun. Never ridden Rattling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll second the Maprika app... it's pretty awesome if the map is on there. It's also pretty easy to make a map if you have a .gpx file and the trail map is to scale.

mtbr member
    No way for you to get lost at Rocky Ridge. There is plenty of trails there to ride imo and I rode there all the time when I was living in York. I actually preferred riding there to Lake Redman area even though I could get a lot long ride at Redman. Just more technical riding at RR. I can't speak to Rattling Creek since I never rode there. I have spent a few hours riding at RR and felt like I have done a good ride every time I left there.
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..

mtbr member
    I love them both and ride them weekly. If you want a good 2 hr. or more ride, hit Rattlin Creek. If you want to keep it well under 2 hrs. hit Rocky Ridge. They're both easy to navigate with the proper map. If your a tech loving cross country rider, Rattlin Creek is a must do for anyone within a 100 mile radius. Rocky Ridge is beautiful but I wouldn't drive two hours just for that. You're never more then a mile from your car. You could consider Mt Gretna, its closer and similar in size and tech as Rocky Ridge. Or have you been to French Creek?
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Man from Utopia View Post
    I love them both and ride them weekly. If you want a good 2 hr. or more ride, hit Rattlin Creek. If you want to keep it well under 2 hrs. hit Rocky Ridge. They're both easy to navigate with the proper map. If your a tech loving cross country rider, Rattlin Creek is a must do for anyone within a 100 mile radius. Rocky Ridge is beautiful but I wouldn't drive two hours just for that. You're never more then a mile from your car. You could consider Mt Gretna, its closer and similar in size and tech as Rocky Ridge. Or have you been to French Creek?
    French Creek is my favorite ride in the area. Mt. Gretna was in the running, especially trail 15, but I was under the impression that Rocky Ridge was more consistently techy and everyone gushes about how "fun" it is. I like fun. Rattling Creek sounds pretty great, thought at 2.5 hours, I might as well rent a room and hit Gretna on my way home. I really appreciate all the comments. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Its a nice delima to be in. I ride all those places and still have a hard time deciding sometimes. If you love French Creek you'll really love Rattlin Creek. Frenchy has more and steeper climbs and leave me a bit more whipped then Rattlin Creek. I usually do a good 20 miles at each. Rattlin Creek has more rocks!
    Help, I'm a rock!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I live in Lykens, so RC is my back yard. Haven't been back on trails for quite a while. Was deal in with some knee issues and ended up having surgery 6 weeks ago. Rode the road 3 times thus far and little tough going. They did have the Rattling Creek 50 this past weekend, so trails should be in decent shape. Not sure of the loop they ran, as I didn't make it back to help. One thing I do know is they are timbering on Doc Smith. Not sure how much of trail is ridable, so you may want use Hop Back to get to Doc's/Rattling trails near the bridges for creek crossing, or opt to ride Fawn Kill to the west end and ride RC downhill rather than climbing and just finish out to road rather than ride Doc's back to parking area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I live 10 minutes from rocky ridge and have been riding there off and on for 20 years. Rattling Creek all the way. If you run it clockwise I think, you can cool off in the creek near the end of the ride. A little tough to follow but challenging and epic the whole way through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider458 View Post
    I live in Lykens, so RC is my back yard. Haven't been back on trails for quite a while. Was deal in with some knee issues and ended up having surgery 6 weeks ago. Rode the road 3 times thus far and little tough going. They did have the Rattling Creek 50 this past weekend, so trails should be in decent shape. Not sure of the loop they ran, as I didn't make it back to help. One thing I do know is they are timbering on Doc Smith. Not sure how much of trail is ridable, so you may want use Hop Back to get to Doc's/Rattling trails near the bridges for creek crossing, or opt to ride Fawn Kill to the west end and ride RC downhill rather than climbing and just finish out to road rather than ride Doc's back to parking area.
    I rode there this weekend. Doc Smith (and everything else) was in great shape. I heard they were timbering Fawn Kill, which I didn't ride in the race.

I hope your knee gets better soon. Must be torture to have RC in your back yard and not be able to ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I rode there this weekend. Doc Smith (and everything else) was in great shape. I heard they were timbering Fawn Kill, which I didn't ride in the race.

I hope your knee gets better soon. Must be torture to have RC in your back yard and not be able to ride it.
    Anyone ride RC this past week. How are the conditions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I heard they left Doc's in decent shape from timbering, but still haven't been back to ride. Missed the race this year with work, so didn't even know what kind of loop was done. There is a new trail being built but haven't been on it. Heard its really good. Down around Wolf pond area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Heading to RC tomorrow... pretty psyched!