Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rattling Creek Named IMBA Epic

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  jbev88 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Any Good Trail Mpas?

I did a 50 mile race there a few years ago, and was super-impressed with the trails. I've been hesitant to go back there on my own, for fear of getting lost. Nothin worse than spending more time deciding which way to go or back-tracking because the trail doesn't go where you think it does. If anyone has a decent trail map or could provide a link, could you post it here. Rattling Creek is on my to-do list for 2012.

Thanks

#5 ·
I did a 50 mile race there a few years ago, and was super-impressed with the trails. I've been hesitant to go back there on my own, for fear of getting lost. Nothin worse than spending more time deciding which way to go or back-tracking because the trail doesn't go where you think it does. If anyone has a decent trail map or could provide a link, could you post it here. Rattling Creek is on my to-do list for 2012.

Thanks
LINK

#15 ·
My suggestion would be to do a longer loop :lol:

Definitely park that the east lot, and for a shortish loop, do Hopback/FawnKill/Preserve Line/Dry Creek/Rattling Creek/Doc Smith. Then decide whether or not to do Rugged Trail. Then drive to the H2 parking lot and do Rocks Ridge East forward and backwards (it's not to be missed.)

That'll get you everything except Wolf's Pond, Shale Run, and Rock's Ridge East.

The two most directional trails are Rattling Creek and Rugged. Rattling Creek is far better starting from Dry Creek and Ending at Doc Smith. Rugged is best counterclockwise.

#23 ·
Got out to Lykens again last week to meet up with some IMBA folks and Bicycling Mag guys. IMBA is working on a new project - big national effort that will be pretty cool if they can get all the ducks to line up, still working out some details - but Rattling Creek/Lykens is going to be one of 3 or 4 places across the US used as a demonstration project for the effort! How great is that?!?! (And some really cool news about some new central PA mountain bike efforts coming soon from IMBA, but I'm sworn to secrecy for now.)

I can tell you that the borough council is definitely excited and they are understanding the positive impact that even 50 mountain bikers every weekend could make in the town.

On a related note the town is also getting ready to break ground on a rail trail through the valley and "downtown" Lykens will be a trail center to access both the Rattling network and the rail trail.

So now combine mountain bikers and some family and casual cyclists for some positive economic impact!

We're definitely going to be starting and finishing this years Rattling Off Road weekend events in Lykens - mountain bike events of 13, 25, and 50 miles including an "Experience" ride on Sat, 50K running and hiking event on Sunday. August 11-12. Camping, post race food at Kevins Place are included with all entries. First post-race beer on me! I'll get a thread going about just the race stuff too. And check out the Outdoor Experience Organization site - outdoorexperienceorg.com - for periodic Lykens trail updates.

Thanks all!
M

#25 ·
Thanks, but I'm very much just trying to continue the work of a lot of people who have put in years of trail building to make this place what it is right now. Keith Whitcomb and the duo or Rick and Jill, Emory, Withers and a whole lot more have lovingly created one awesome riding area.

I do see tremendous opportunity for the town of Lykens - and the other towns in the valley - to benefit from mountain bikers and other trail users. It is a once prosperous area that suffered as regional resources like coal were used up in the 70s and early 80s. It has gone through years of economic hardship with many business closing up and people moving out. (Keith - who is really the Godfather of the area - was reminiscing about his days growing up in Lykens as we scouted the new trail last week and talked about his hopes that the efforts we're making will bring more business back to the valley. It was pretty cool for me to hear and motivating too.) The whole valley is bordered by thousands of acres of forests and these offer great potential to infuse the region with rec tourism. And I see opportunity to expand the network and create many more miles of trails for us to enjoy. It is a big win-win!

M

#26 ·
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the update. I think IMBA's focus on Central PA is absolutely awesome. Like so many other people, I belong to IMBA, but my involvement stops with my membership dues. I would like to get more involved but am not sure how. I joined a local mtb. bike club, but haven't seen a lot of activity. Do you have any recommendations on how to get more involved with IMBA and continue to keep Central PA as a focal point for them?

Thanks

#29 ·
Rattling Creek in latest IMBA newsletter!

Just wanted to make sure you all saw it - and I'm sure you did since you're all IMBA members and get the mag, right?!?!

Rattling was just featured in the latest IMBA mag right smack in the middle of the edition in an article about the new mapping project. We're pretty pumped about being the feature trail network for the program. Between the IMBA Epic status, this feature and bringing the Rattling Off Road weekend into town for the start/finish this year the borough is getting more and more excited about mountain biking and what it can potentially do for the town.

So, cut out that map and get out there and ride Rattling! (And take a sec to join up with IMBA if you're not a card carrying member yet.)

M

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.