Thread: Rattling Creek

mtbr member

Rattling Creek

Anybody know the conditions out there and would give a report, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    bump, anybody help a brother out?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I would not be surprised if there hasn't been much riding out there yet.

Conditions "at elevation" up here in W-B/Scranton area (think Mtn Top, Dallas, Mt Cobb) still have intermittent snow, going to lightly thawed/mucky depending on tread base.

I'd HOPE that Lykens area had been a little warmer but don't know, at all. If it has been then maybe it's thawed out.

It would be nice if someone knew and shared though. One of my favorite areas around here.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've never been so I don't know anything about it or how long until its ready or not. I have to be out that way next week, so thought I'd ride if it was ready.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The trails are mostly of the nature that SHOULD drain and dry really well, I just don't know how much crud they got.

Your thread has actually given me a minor bug to maybe hit it, but it's a long-ish drive from where I live for what I consider a 50:50 proposition, when I could get to Roaring Creek in about half the time and I feel much more confident in the conditions there.

Of course, if the weather had temps in the 50's I'd be going down to Rattle for sure.

These "tweener" temps are driving me nuts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rode there 2 Sundays ago. Fast , fun, and frozen. Light snow dusting on the ground then. Not much weather since then so I'm guessing it's pretty good.
    Video Production for Energy & The Environment
    www.levelaproductions.com

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I hate the power of suggestion.

Me and a friend just got back from Rattling Creek.

We parked inside the area at the Minnich Hit picnic area (because we didn't want to commit to an epic ride).

We went up Minnich Hit trail, which was mostly snow covered 1-2" but had two narrow open tracks about tire thickness (or snowmobile runner thickness) along with infrequent clear area.

Matter Trail left to Wold Pond Rd, Matter Trail was in similar condition but with a BIT more open area. Wolf Pond Rd was mostly snow covered with some ice patches all the way to the hang glider parking.

We went across the top of the hang glider launch area, which had an irritating level of snow from the gate to the open area (under the trees) but not much in the meadow, and the short trail down to the connection with Deep Hollow Trail had a clear line.

Deep Hollow Trail was snow covered with a narrow track or to mostly clear.

Rocks Ridge from there to the double-track on Rocks Ridge was mostly snow covered, but navigable. There were tracks there where others had ridden, but mostly only had clear stuff when the rocks popped through. We really liked the rocks.

The double-track section of Rocks Ridge was mostly clear, almost all the way back to the crossing of Wolf Pond Rd.

Rocks Ridge continued on to be mostly snow covered but navigable, with infrequent clear spots. The various rock sections were basically the same as normal EXCEPT any time there was "plate" rock there was snow covering it. I got really cautious on the narrow "rock bridges" as the price of slipping off in a couple places would make me unhappy. Still, it was fun as usual.

When we dumped out of Rocks Ridge we hung a left on Wolf Pond Rd and then a quick right onto Shreffler Road. This made for easy rolling (which we appreciated, Rocks Ridge was a lot of work) up to Shreffler Trail.

Shreffler Trail was easy/fun, mostly clear, as was Dry Run, and Rattling Creek trails, all the way to the intersection with Doc Smith.

At this point we were basically pooped and out of time, so we took the short path by heading out to the forest rd (Lykens) and took that back to where the car was parked.

At intersection of Wold Pond (Road vs Trail)

Mark almost falling off the slab on Rocks Ridge

Ride path. Happy to hit the dirt road in the end.

Rolling on 650b
    Thanks for the update Bear. I'm surprised there was still that much snow that far south.

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Re: Rattling Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Clipless in PA View Post
    Thanks for the update Bear. I'm surprised there was still that much snow that far south.
    North faces were all still covered, dense tree cover too.

I think it was still solid on top because of wind.

Shrug.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report. I forget how different the conditions are outside of southeast PA. Its like spring down here - little cool, but the riding has been pretty good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone have an updated trail conditions report for Rattling Creek? Heading up that way. Thx.