mtbr member

Rattling Creek...

Beautiful day to be out riding anywhere....we hit Rattling Creek in Lykens PA.....recently designated a IMBA Epic.....excellent conditions today....feel free to post up any Rattling Creek pics you have from your rides their.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattling Creek...-pa210002.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-pa210043.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-pa210007.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-pa210048.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-pa210050.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Hmmm...going to try to ....

..post up the ride profile....that one of the riders sent me.....hope this works....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattling Creek...-profile.png  

Rattling Creek...-topo.jpg  

mtbr member

Here us a feature from....

....IMBA's web site:

Rattling Creek
    Mid-Atlantic
    Backcountry
    IMBA Epic

Photo by Leslie Kehmeier.

Flowy trails punctuated with rock gardens create classic East Coast riding that rewards bike handling as much as fitness. Trails don't get more sustainable than the Rocks Ridge section ó a 3/4-mile boulder field that's featured on the IMBA website under the heading "Toughen Your Trail With Rocks." Unforgiving, yes. But it's rideable if you've got the chops, and even if you have to walk a few spots you'll enjoy the mature hardwood forests and scenic stream valleys. Constant rollers offer fun descents and snappy climbs, with more total elevation change than youíd expect.

The trails are a labor of love of Keith Whitcomb, a life-long resident of the area. Beginning in 1999 with his friend Mike Mace, Keith began building a loop based on the lessons of sustainable trails that were just then being espoused by IMBA, but he aimed to keep the East Coast flavor of the terrain. Itís a testament to his determination that what began with a few short sections of trail connected by miles of snowmobile trails (read: gravel double track) grew into one of the must-do rides in the region.

What to ride: a sure sign of a good trail system is the debates that arise on what direction is best for trail flow. Rattling Creek is no different, as each trail is fun in both directions. If starting from the trail head off of Lykens Rd., riding the system in a counter clockwise direction will give you a chance to see the general order in which the trails were built, as well as giving you several options to cut your ride short if necessary. Highlights and must ride trails include Wolf Pond, Rockís Ridge, the Hop Back trails and the view from the hang glider launch.

Why to ride: Most climbs encountered are quickly rewarded with flowing downhills ó just the way Keith wanted it.

Directions: From I-81, Exit onto route 209 toward Tower City. Follow until the traffic light in Lykens and turn left. Follow this road past the town park and uphill about 3 miles. Trail head will be on the right.

Food: Kevinís Place diner is a great local joint that has always supported the trails. The farmerís breakfast is not to be missed.
    Length:
    53 ....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I only live about 45 minutes away and still have yet to check this place out... not sure I'd be capable of doing a 20-mile loop without taking a bit of a break in the middle, but everything I've heard about the trail has been overwhelmingly positive!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Rc

great day indeed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rattling Creek...-lykens-102112-011.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-lykens-102112-009.jpg  

Rattling Creek...-lykens-102112-013.jpg  

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    'krause - plenty of good (and obvious) break spots.

the only section we didn't hit that would have been good to do was the Rugged trail, that is opposite the parking area - across the road. Suggest doing that first so you don't forget. ;^)

Was great trail "medecine" for me - these work-days of going-to and leaving-from in the dark get to me after a while. I need more solar-provided vitamin-d.

my church is the woods

Bigfoot sighting?

I see you got some shots of a Bear on a bike, but did you happen to see the Rattling Creek Sasquach like this guy?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerkrause View Post
    I only live about 45 minutes away and still have yet to check this place out... not sure I'd be capable of doing a 20-mile loop without taking a bit of a break in the middle, but everything I've heard about the trail has been overwhelmingly positive!
    Nothing wrong in taking a break and enjoying the quiet.... get up there and enjoy!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    'raker: I'd have remember seeing sasquatch, but then again I have a friend who could quality that is moving from Japan next year to NE so he may be around these parts at some point. Who knows, maybe I'll convince him to not ride his SS everywhere.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I past a few bikes on cars yesterday in the morning, but was to busy to get out and ride. Havent been on the trails in a few weeks, but hope to soon, considering they are in my backyard!!