mtbr member

Rattling Creek 8-22-2012

I am pumped to finally be heading to ride Rattling Creek tomorrow. Perfect timing as the new IMBA newsletter has a killer map. Quick question for the locals: is there a better/best place to start and a direction to ride the loop: clockwise or counter?

I will most likely park at the east end main trailhead unless there is a better place to start? Looks like there is the Minnich Hit trailhead and west end.

Thanks very much for any help!
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What time will you be getting there. Sometimes on a Wednesday, there is a small group of guys that do a ride. Usually like 3-5 guys. Some run SS others HT's. I think they meet around 5ish? There are a few good loops on the east end and can a 15-20 mile loop. Rugged is a good start and flows better CCW. A few small rock gardens. Hop back, fawn kill, rattling creek and doc smith all flow better clock wise. I'd be glad to show ya around, but we are doing a ride at Swatty after work about 4:30. I live in Lykens. The west end trails are all mostly rock gardens if you prefer those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Check out that sexy IMBA centerfold a little more closely. Around the edges of the map you'll find their suggested route of travel for the Epic Ride. Parking at the east end lot at the intersection of Lykens Rd and Powells Valley Rd allows you to finish mostly downhill as the ridge gains elevation the further west you go.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Guys thanks a lot for your help. I didn't notice those directions on the map, so thanks for pointing that out! Luckily I saw your post right before I headed out of Lykens up the hill and lost cell service...

The trails are awesome! I started with Stone Cabin but missed the left turn and went down a steep chute, which was awesome, but I had to walk back up it. Doh! Then I hit Rugged and Hopback, but missed the entrance to Fawn Kill? I didnt see any signs so I just kept riding up Lykens Rd and hit Preserve Line to Rattling Creek to Doc Smith. This was good enough for me riding my 40lb 6" travel bike... I will get back and hit the western trails too in the future.

A highlight was while I was blitzing down the beginning of Rattling Creek. I was going pretty fast and I hear some loud noises and I look right and see a black bear coming down a tree very fast, breaking off branches. I was like, "oh ****!" but I must have scared him and he was just getting out of the tree and he took off in the other direction, thankfully! It was surreal, as I was trying to watch him as I was going over 20mph on singletrack, and I wasn't about to stop and my heart was racing. Super cool!!!!!

Saw a cool box turtle and some pheasants too!

Rattling Creek Solo 8-22-2012 - Mountain biking trip | EveryTrail

BTW, who maintains these trails as I would like to make a donation???
    bike = good

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt_merchant View Post
    BTW, who maintains these trails as I would like to make a donation???
    Rattling Creek Singletrackers last I heard.

Of course, their page hasn't been updated since feb, so who knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is all a little up in the air. Mostly there are some locals who get out with the chainsaws and then I put on a race there and we usually do about 5-6 miles of brushing out in the week or two before the race.

The Singletrackers is sort of on hold right now. It is still around but not real active. There will be some things happening on that front soon I hope.

There is a lot more that needs to be done on those trails. Much of the network can use a brushing out. I'm headed to a Friends of Weiser meeting this weekend to chat with them about a trail work day. And we're working to create a plan with the Lykens Boro to enhance the network. More on that will be announced as it develops and if folks are interested in getting involved there will be plenty of opportunity.

We're working on the project through our non-profit - The Outdoor Experience Org. We launched the OEO when we decided to move forward with Trans-Sylvania. We're now at a point with TSE where we can put a little more focus on the mission of the OEO which is basically to create and enhance trails in PA. As often as possible, we want to do so in places where those enhancements can potentially make a significant economic impact in local communities.

Yes, Fawn Kill is not well marked from that end. As you are riding east to west along Lykens Rd you pass the entrance to Doc Smith on your right. I would say it less than 200 yards to the entrance to Fawn Kill on your left from that point.

Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yep, no marker for Fawn Kill on Lykens Rd. There is a second marker for Doc Smith on Lykens Rd. Even that is tough to find because of the weeds being high, but if you find that one, Fawn is about 200yds up the road on the left. If you make the little climb on the Lykens Rd after Doc's, you went to far. Most of the trails are done by riders that trim them up. RCST is kind of dying off, and I believe Valley Bikers are taking over the bash in Sept, but not sure if it will be he same style bash(catered food,beer,music). I'm still waiting to see on that. Mike, the other guy who posted, ran the MASS race up there a few weekends ago, and he did a lot of if not all of the trimming. He said about organizing a group day to do it, so of it happens, we'll get it posted on here. He is also working with forestry and the boro to expand the trail system, so hope that works out for the best also. As far as the bears, I'm more Leary of the rattle snakes...LOL. I've ran across both this year, and even momma with cubs, but sometimes ya just can't see those crawlers on the ground...be careful!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Dang, Mike beat me to this post!!! LOL

mtbr member
    Good stuff guys. I am gonna try and rally a Philly crew to head up there this fall to ride and hopefully camp. I'll give a head's up on here if we nail down a date and maybe we can get a guide. We pay in beer...

Regardless, I get out this way a couple times a year for work and will definitely be back. I would like to contribute some cash to the trail crews for tools/food/drinks/beer because I know it's tough, and mostly thankless, work... Great job to all that contributed to these awesome trails!
    bike = good

smartass
    Fawn Kill might be my favorite trail up there. It's worth looking for and riding next time you go.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Fawn Kill is great.

Rock's Ridge is my favorite bump-n-grind section.

Shreffler -> Dry Run -> Rattling Creek is my favorite "pay me back for climbing" combination. ;^)

mtbr member
    anyone planning on going for the weekend the campground is open?