Jun 2006

Rally in the Valley-Mountain Bike ride for Wissahickon Park

For immediate release: Contacts: David Haberstroh
    Tel: 610-260-0977
    Email: david.Haberstroh@verizon.net

Philadelphia Mountain Bike Association Host

Rally in the Valley

To Aid Wissahickon Park Trails

Philadelphia, April 28, 2007: - The Philadelphia mountain bike community and the Fairmount Park are coming together to host a mountain bike ride event on April 28, 2007 in the Wissahickon Valley Park to raise money for trail maintenance and trail building. The 1st`Annual Rally in the Valley is not a race, but a fun ride at your own pace through the beautiful and challenging Wissahickon Valley Park on marked trails. Some of the proceeds will be donated to the Friends of the Wissahickon to support their ongoing effort to repair and rebuild trails, as well as to benefit the long-term goal to redesign many existing unsustainable trails and bring them up to IMBA standards.

Event organizers are pleased to have REI onboard, as one of the lead corporate sponsors, in addition to a growing number of sponsors. REI is no stranger to supporting outdoor recreation programs and the Rally in the Valley is another opportunity for REI to exhibit their outstanding support of mountain biking. During the past six decades, REI has grown into a renowned supplier of specialty outdoor gear and clothing. *They serve the needs of outdoors people through 70 retail stores in the U.S. and by direct sales via the Internet (REI.com and REI-OUTLET.com), telephone and mail. *Today, REI is the nationís largest consumer cooperative with more than 2 million members.

Registration for the event will open at 8:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 a.m.

For more information visit http://www.phillymtb.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This sounds like a really fun event. Definitely gonna be there for it!

mtbr member
    i hope to attend as well
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Never rode on these trails, hope to make it out on the following sat morning. I have a Hard Tail, am I ok with that on this terrain?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Freshly Fujified

You should be fine

Plenty of people ride hardtails and even fully rigid bikes at Wiss. There will be three different courses to ride that day, so you should find one suitable to your needs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Thanks B, I look forward to getting out with all on Sat.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Trail eater
    I've been spreading the love about this event at every opportunity I get. It should be great fun for all ages, types and models

Im bringing the wifey too.

I'll be the one mashing it on my fetish SS
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    besides riding, what is going on? is there food and all?

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    besides riding, what is going on? is there food and all?

As I remember it this event used to be the poker run (anyone correct me if Im wrong) and I dont remember any food being served there.
    Although some beers and a BBQ afterwards would be just unreal. Im guessing that no drinkies are allowed

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    As I remember it this event used to be the poker run (anyone correct me if Im wrong) and I dont remember any food being served there.
    Although some beers and a BBQ afterwards would be just unreal. Im guessing that no drinkies are allowed
    Just to clarify - this is not the (err... a) poker run. There will be no checkpoints, cards to stamp, etc. Assuming the general 'production' is the same (minus 'cards') - the poker run crew usually had coffee and bagels out pre-ride, and a bag o schwag that included some clif bars/blocks. Other than that, the only food for sale is at Valley Green Inn and the snack bar (middle of the park, for any who don't know).

Beer?? Only if you're *very* discrete.

(In a neoprene 'coozy' thing, Sly Fox Royal Weisse or Oskar Blues 'Dale's Pale Ale' might pass as soft drinks. Just sayin...although, IMO, you'd be better off avoiding the potential negative PR associated with getting caught breaking park rules altogether and hitting the General Lafayette afterward)
    "mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Trail eater
    Stick your such a bad boy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think I'm trying to bring some food down. If not burgers then we'll try and have some snacks and deli cuts or something. Refreshments will be very low key, but I think we're bringing a cooler of water and stuff. Basically just trying to chill and ride around with the bros all day. Hopefully my new FR bike will be done so I'll be the one wheelying around with a stupid grin on my face!

mtbr member
    Bump to the front!

Reminder, it's getting closer!
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    will this system drain well from the few days of rain we are expecting?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ya Wissi always drains pretty quickly...

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    will this system drain well from the few days of rain we are expecting?

Isnt this just typical. As soon as we have a cool event taking place out at the wiss, the rain has to come along and potentially screw it all up

Im still coming

mtbr member

Should be awesome!

Just in case you aren't signed up at our website, here is a message I sent out this morning:

Hello everyone!

The Philadelphia Mountain Biking Associationís 1st Rally in the Valley is this SATURDAY, April 28th. The weather gods seem to be smiling on us, but messing with us too. So far Friday is supposed to have showers and T-showers, and Saturday is supposed to be 68 degrees and mostly sunny. PERFECT riding weather in my book! Letís hope it holds to this model, as the trails are in great shape now, but are a little dry. The showers Friday should make them nice and tacky and loamy and just beautifulÖ Can you tell I am excited?!?!?!

With that said, I just want to let you all know a sampling of the swag that we will be raffling off to every paid participant:

CANNONDALE: Mountain Bike!!!!! Yes, a brand new bike!!!!
    Guyís Bikes: Brand new set of Mavic Crossland Wheels
    REI: Five $50 Gift Cards, lots of water bottles and other goodies
    Trophy Bikes: Surly Muy Limited Edition "Jim Brown" 32 hole single speed disc rear hub & gift cert to cover the wheel build, On Guard Mini TC-thinline U-lock, Bell Influx MTB helmet
    Oury USA: 25 pairs of Grips
    Maxxis: 15 pairs of tubeless tires
    Human Zoom: Five Gift Certificates for free tune up and lots of water bottles
    Keswick Cycle: Blackburn System X3 Light
    Cadence: Gift Cert for free Vo2 & Lactate Threshold Test ($250 Value) Racers will love this!
    Performance: Two $25 gift cards and Two free tune up gift certs
    High Road Cycles: Two Gift Certs for free Deluxe tune up and One Jersey
    Starbucks: LOTS OF FUEL!

Additionally, check out the website where we have DETAILED COURSE DESCRIPTIONS AND TOPO MAPS. We went all high-tech on everyone! We will have this information at the registration area blown up and mounted for all participants to read and view.

Another very important item: AFTER PARTY! My brother Paul and I will be holding an after party at our houses in Roxborough/Manayunk: 303 and 307 Ginger Lane, Phila PA 19128. We will have the wooden stunts set up on our hillside (that we were not allowed to set up at the Rally) and we have made them a lot more technical and difficult. Things could get interesting! Just donít try them if youíve had some drinks! Party should start around 3 depending on how long it takes us to clean up after the Rally. (Maybe we can get some people to help us clean up so the party can start earlier! Hint-hint,wink-wink)

Hope to see you there! Thanks for reading.

Lou Harris
    PMBA President
    www.phillymtb.com
    **APRIL 28TH RALLY IN THE VALLEY**
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeas this is only 2 short days away.

don't let the possibility of rain on firday scare you. the trails are in great shape and the phillymtb.com crew has been owrking tirelessly to make this event go off as best we possibly can. (we can't get a weather machine just yet)

off the record 2: years ago i brought some of my own "adult bevvy's" and no one said a damn thing. i also often enjoy an after ride beer in the city parks and so far i have never had a problem. but of course, officially, we can't say it is ok; and no beer will be served by us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Wheel Wright put together a pretty nice pile of swag for Saturday. A bunch of helmets, a jersey or two, and a few other things as well. Everyone is really stoked about this event and glad to be a part of it.

I think I'm going to bring some covert "Coca Cola" cups... Nothin' like a fine brew out of a straw

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeas this is only 2 short days away.

don't let the possibility of rain on firday scare you.
    Not to be the proverbial (or pun-y) stick-in-the-mud, but any other time we receive ~4 inches of rain (and counting) in a 24 hr period, I can't help but think most would tow the line of responsibility and say 'stay off the trails!', much less advocate hitting them by the hundreds a day later. . .

But, what do I know?

See you there!
    Last edited by Stick; 04-27-2007 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, bad timing on this amount of rain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    stick - yeah, normally i'd agree, but you should see all the trail work done by PMBA to get the trails in shape for saturday...

i can also DEFINITELY say if we do and up rutting up some trails tomorrow we will be sure to go out and fix any problems we create.

plus the money is basically all going into trail maintenance anyway as far as i understand so you'll be paying 20 bucks to ride in conditions you normally shouldn't, and a big part of that 20 will go toward cleaning up the resulting mess and keeping the trails nice all year long.

on a relavent sidenote: starting next month pmba will have a monthly trail mainenance day where we specifically address MTB trail issues. so if you see anything in the park that needs some love let us know. or better yet come on out and put some sweat equity back into the trails.... details to follow @ http://www.phillymtb.com/

Inbred Homebrewer
    stick - yeah, normally i'd agree, but you should see all the trail work done by PMBA to get the trails in shape for saturday...

i can also DEFINITELY say if we do and up rutting up some trails tomorrow we will be sure to go out and fix any problems we create.

plus the money is basically all going into trail maintenance anyway as far as i understand so you'll be paying 20 bucks to ride in conditions you normally shouldn't, and a big part of that 20 will go toward cleaning up the resulting mess and keeping the trails nice all year long.
    I don't doubt it Max. I was just being a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I don't doubt it Max. I was just being a pain in the ass.
    and I just want to be sure the people know we ain't a bunch of greedy trail ruining bastiges... tireless efforts on the part of our trail crew have sawed down at least 3 BIG trees that fell in last weeks ridiculous storm. they have been also been trying to improve drainage in some problem areas and generally busting there asses to make the park as nice as we possibly can for tomorrow!

say hi if you see me tomorrow!

hopefully i can pull some on-the-trail "volunteer" duty and don't have to sit at a desk all day... i promise it will be fun; it will be the one day you can feel good about getting muddy on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hmmmmmmmm... I am thinking about it. It rained a lot... Plus, I have to race at Greenbriar on Sunday... to go or not to go...

Trail eater
    just go will ya

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK Then!, Im sold. Ill be there.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Yes! I get to be the first person to post today on the event. Congrats to all those who worked so hard to get this going. It seemed like it went off without a hitch. I had a great time and I look forward to riding with some more PMBA folks in the future. ROck the WIss

DL

Baller/Biker

Rally in the Valley was the BOMB!!

for my first ride of the season..I would have to say this is going to be a great year if the ride today could be used as a measuring stick. Great turnout lots of great people and great bikes. My gang and I will visit again soon...These trails are the best i've ridden!!

mtbr member
    was a lot of fun. i saw someone snap a pic of me on a trials bike, id like to see it!

hopefully ill be back to the WISS during the week.

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Not to be the proverbial (or pun-y) stick-in-the-mud, but any other time we receive ~4 inches of rain (and counting) in a 24 hr period, I can't help but think most would tow the line of responsibility and say 'stay off the trails!', much less advocate hitting them by the hundreds a day later. . .

But, what do I know?

See you there!
    Stick,

Max already covered most of it, but I would also like to add one more thing, there is couple of inches of rain and there is couple of inches of rain.
    Couple of inches of rain in the midle of winter when the ground is already saturated with water, or frozen few inches deep, in either case the new rainfall creates a slush 4-5" deep which gets the trails very soft and easily churned up by the tires.
    On the other hand, couple of inches of rain after a week of dry warm weather in spring or summer when the ground is bone dry several inches deep, and on top of it the trees and grass and all the vegetation is sucking the water like mad. In this scenario, the ground absorbs the water without getting too soft. And as you saw today, with the exception of very few muddy spots (which BTW we will visit next week and fix if they would require it) trails were only damp at the surface, but firm and didn't suffer any damage even after all the riders went thru.

Just my longish $0.02

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

mtbr member

But, what do I know?

See you there!
    Stick,

Max already covered most of it, but I would also like to add one more thing, there is couple of inches of rain and there is couple of inches of rain.
    Couple of inches of rain in the midle of winter when the ground is already saturated with water, or frozen few inches deep, in either case the new rainfall creates a slush 4-5" deep which gets the trails very soft and easily churned up by the tires.
    On the other hand, couple of inches of rain after a week of dry warm weather in spring or summer when the ground is bone dry several inches deep, and on top of it the trees and grass and all the vegetation is sucking the water like mad. In this scenario, the ground absorbs the water without getting too soft. And as you saw today, with the exception of very few muddy spots (which BTW we will visit next week and fix if they would require it) trails were only damp at the surface, but firm and didn't suffer any damage even after all the riders went thru.

Just my longish $0.02

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

Freshly Fujified

So who participated in Rally?

A few people have posted up and had some very positive things to say. I was unable to come as I had commitments with my kids. Anyone else who was there wanna pipe up and give us your thoughts? Sounds like the event was pretty good, I'd be interested in hearing more.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agree with Clyde. How were the trails? Dry or muddy?

mtbr member

my daughter got me a new bike from the rally n the valley

i have such a great little girl. its a nice bike but a too big for her and she just got a new bike recently. so i will be glad to take it off her hands.

it will also serve as an extra when i have friends that want to try out Mountain biking

mtbr member
    The ride on Saturday was really a lot of fun. We came up from DE and none of the guys I was with have ever been to Wissahickon before. We thought the route that was setup was done very well and we canít wait to get back up there.
    You all did a great job with everything, see you on the trails in the near future.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by dzm3
    Stick,

Just my longish $0.02

dz
    Yeah, I know. See my other reply to max about being a smartass. I know the wissahickon's 'magical' draining abilities as well as anybody. I was just poking a little fun at the fact that, very often, there's a sort of reflexive "It rained yesterday, don't ride." attitude on the board - except when it's inconvenient.

But enough of that. It was a great event and, with a few exceptions (The 'Caution: Thick Mud' sign was great, lol, but it would have been nice to see it in front of that section instead of in the middle of said mud. Fortunately, after that mud literally stopped me dead in my tracks, the sign was easy to read. ) the trails were in fine shape.

cheers to all who participated. So, how much cash was raised anyway?

I snagged a set of tires, but I'm not sure wtf I'm going to do w. 1.9" tubeless semislicks...

mtbr member
    The 'Caution: Thick Mud' sign was great, lol, but it would have been nice to see it in front of that section instead of in the middle of said mud. Fortunately, after that mud literally stopped me dead in my tracks, the sign was easy to read.
    Oh NICE! I was teh one who put that sign up... I was told in the morning that there was a thick mud section and we need a sign there and to go out find it and put it up. So I did... Actually, I rode that section twice back and forth and didn't have any problems... So I wasn't even sure why and where to put it up. Sorry to hear that it was a problematic spot and that I put the sign in the wrong spot...

To all who was there and who missed it, go to phillymtb.com and check out the pictures and more info

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i was one of the guys standing around yelling at folks saturday on the climb up after kitchens lane (advanced course).

i was really glad to see lots of smiling faces out there and it seemed like everyone coming by (on the advanced course at least) was having a great time.

i think we ended up getting around 150 riders and while that was good for our first year, we want more next year! please pipe up here and let us know what you thought. if something annoyed you, let us know! most importantly if you enjoyed it this year, next year, tell ALL you friends.

i didn't even make it back for the raffle because we were still out on the trails helping the last of the folks make it back.... (which is fine becasue it meant i was also still out riding trail)

stick - i saw you, but unfortunately didn't quite make the "complete" mental connection until right after you left. so many new/familiar faces that day that my brain was in overload.

kieth - congrats on the bike... a nice day in the park AND a free bike??? good deal

http://www.phillymtb.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    i have such a great little girl. its a nice bike but a too big for her and she just got a new bike recently. so i will be glad to take it off her hands.

it will also serve as an extra when i have friends that want to try out Mountain biking

You're daughter can climb!!! I had a technical on the intermediate coarse and pulled off the side of a climb before Valley Green. She just came along, down shifted and cranked her way to the top. Fixed my problem and followed her line to the top and back down again!!! On a side note, my ticket number for the raffle was off from her's by 3, DOH!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It was a great day and the trail were in ok shape. I did the trail the opposite way (which is the way I usually go) I guess because all the signs were for people coming the other way. I made it all the way down on the advanced course to where you cross over and start to come back but noticed I was going flat in the rear. I run tubeless and in the 4 years I've had I've never had a flat. From my experience trying to put tires on the tubeless rims I decided I didn't want to mess with it on the trail with everything all dirty and muddy so I took forbidden drive back and had to stop 3 or 4 times to pump up my tire so I could make it back.

It was a good time though and I wound up with a Surly shirt and a pair of wool socks.

mtbr member

athletic and competitive

Quote Originally Posted by mtrostle
    You're daughter can climb!!! I had a technical on the intermediate coarse and pulled off the side of a climb before Valley Green. She just came along, down shifted and cranked her way to the top. Fixed my problem and followed her line to the top and back down again!!! On a side note, my ticket number for the raffle was off from her's by 3, DOH!!!
    I agree, she is a strong rider and maybe a natural. this was only her second time on the trails this year. she has been waiting for this event since last year's poker run. she likes cheerleading better (girls!!!!)

Inbred Homebrewer

D'OH! Not such a perfect day in the Valley, after all!!

Just received this e-mail from a friend who came out for the Rally:

I discovered, this morning, that my credit card was not in my wallet.
    Checked my account, online and there's a warning to call in about
    high-risk activity.
    Sure enough, someone charged $3000 to my card at Circuit City, in PA! I
    never took the wallet out of my car, on Saturday, so it really couldn't
    have just fallen out.... but wait there's more!
    Val emails me and tells me that he lost his bank card on Sat and $2500
    was charged to his card at Best Buy, in PA!!!
    I've no idea how they broke into our cars and pulled the cards out, but
    obviously somehow they did. Check your cards, Joe!!
    Maybe post about this on that philly forum, so other attendees check
    their wallets too?

FWIW, both cars were parked right next to mine in the Valley Green Rd. lot, and there was no obvious sign of break-in. Fortunately, I had my wallet with me in my camelbak - or I might be in the same boat.

I stopped parking at Bells Mill Rd years ago due to the frequent break-ins there but, apparently, the VG Rd lot is no better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just received this e-mail from a friend who came out for the Rally:

I discovered, this morning, that my credit card was not in my wallet.
    Checked my account, online and there's a warning to call in about
    high-risk activity.
    Sure enough, someone charged $3000 to my card at Circuit City, in PA! I
    never took the wallet out of my car, on Saturday, so it really couldn't
    have just fallen out.... but wait there's more!
    Val emails me and tells me that he lost his bank card on Sat and $2500
    was charged to his card at Best Buy, in PA!!!
    I've no idea how they broke into our cars and pulled the cards out, but
    obviously somehow they did. Check your cards, Joe!!
    Maybe post about this on that philly forum, so other attendees check
    their wallets too?

FWIW, both cars were parked right next to mine in the Valley Green Rd. lot, and there was no obvious sign of break-in. Fortunately, I had my wallet with me in my camelbak - or I might be in the same boat.

I stopped parking at Bells Mill Rd years ago due to the frequent break-ins there but, apparently, the VG Rd lot is no better.
    That same thing happened to me at the wiss almost 2 years ago.

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    i was one of the guys standing around yelling at folks saturday on the climb up after kitchens lane (advanced course).

i was really glad to see lots of smiling faces out there and it seemed like everyone coming by (on the advanced course at least) was having a great time.

i think we ended up getting around 150 riders and while that was good for our first year, we want more next year! please pipe up here and let us know what you thought. if something annoyed you, let us know! most importantly if you enjoyed it this year, next year, tell ALL you friends.

i didn't even make it back for the raffle because we were still out on the trails helping the last of the folks make it back.... (which is fine becasue it meant i was also still out riding trail)

stick - i saw you, but unfortunately didn't quite make the "complete" mental connection until right after you left. so many new/familiar faces that day that my brain was in overload.

kieth - congrats on the bike... a nice day in the park AND a free bike??? good deal

http://www.phillymtb.com/
    Yo Max,

WordUP on the safety check You and Dan certainly had things under control in your location. Good strategy my friend!

I look forward to hitting some rides up with you guys in the near future

Be good,
    DL

Inbred Homebrewer

No sweat. I kinda suspected as much. Hey, for what it's worth - and despite the grief I gave ya re: rain, etc. - the traction going up the climb away from you guys was better than it's been in quite a while. Almost felt like cheating going up...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It was a good time. I had to do some stuff later, so I did the advanced course and got the hell out of there. Amazingly enough, by the time I got down there on Sunday to do the entire loop, all the signs had been taken down. That is a fine job right there!