Jun 2006

Rally in the Valley-Mountain Bike ride for Wissahickon Park

For immediate release: Contacts: David Haberstroh
    Tel: 610-260-0977
    Email: david.Haberstroh@verizon.net

Philadelphia Mountain Bike Association Host

Rally in the Valley

To Aid Wissahickon Park Trails

Philadelphia, April 28, 2007: - The Philadelphia mountain bike community and the Fairmount Park are coming together to host a mountain bike ride event on April 28, 2007 in the Wissahickon Valley Park to raise money for trail maintenance and trail building. The 1st`Annual Rally in the Valley is not a race, but a fun ride at your own pace through the beautiful and challenging Wissahickon Valley Park on marked trails. Some of the proceeds will be donated to the Friends of the Wissahickon to support their ongoing effort to repair and rebuild trails, as well as to benefit the long-term goal to redesign many existing unsustainable trails and bring them up to IMBA standards.

Event organizers are pleased to have REI onboard, as one of the lead corporate sponsors, in addition to a growing number of sponsors. REI is no stranger to supporting outdoor recreation programs and the Rally in the Valley is another opportunity for REI to exhibit their outstanding support of mountain biking. During the past six decades, REI has grown into a renowned supplier of specialty outdoor gear and clothing. *They serve the needs of outdoors people through 70 retail stores in the U.S. and by direct sales via the Internet (REI.com and REI-OUTLET.com), telephone and mail. *Today, REI is the nationís largest consumer cooperative with more than 2 million members.

Registration for the event will open at 8:00 a.m. and close at 10:00 a.m.

For more information visit http://www.phillymtb.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    This sounds like a really fun event. Definitely gonna be there for it!

mtbr member
    i hope to attend as well
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member
    Never rode on these trails, hope to make it out on the following sat morning. I have a Hard Tail, am I ok with that on this terrain?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Freshly Fujified

You should be fine

Plenty of people ride hardtails and even fully rigid bikes at Wiss. There will be three different courses to ride that day, so you should find one suitable to your needs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Thanks B, I look forward to getting out with all on Sat.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Trail eater
    I've been spreading the love about this event at every opportunity I get. It should be great fun for all ages, types and models

Im bringing the wifey too.

I'll be the one mashing it on my fetish SS
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    besides riding, what is going on? is there food and all?
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    besides riding, what is going on? is there food and all?

As I remember it this event used to be the poker run (anyone correct me if Im wrong) and I dont remember any food being served there.
    Although some beers and a BBQ afterwards would be just unreal. Im guessing that no drinkies are allowed

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    As I remember it this event used to be the poker run (anyone correct me if Im wrong) and I dont remember any food being served there.
    Although some beers and a BBQ afterwards would be just unreal. Im guessing that no drinkies are allowed
    Just to clarify - this is not the (err... a) poker run. There will be no checkpoints, cards to stamp, etc. Assuming the general 'production' is the same (minus 'cards') - the poker run crew usually had coffee and bagels out pre-ride, and a bag o schwag that included some clif bars/blocks. Other than that, the only food for sale is at Valley Green Inn and the snack bar (middle of the park, for any who don't know).

Beer?? Only if you're *very* discrete.

(In a neoprene 'coozy' thing, Sly Fox Royal Weisse or Oskar Blues 'Dale's Pale Ale' might pass as soft drinks. Just sayin...although, IMO, you'd be better off avoiding the potential negative PR associated with getting caught breaking park rules altogether and hitting the General Lafayette afterward)
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Trail eater
    Stick your such a bad boy

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I think I'm trying to bring some food down. If not burgers then we'll try and have some snacks and deli cuts or something. Refreshments will be very low key, but I think we're bringing a cooler of water and stuff. Basically just trying to chill and ride around with the bros all day. Hopefully my new FR bike will be done so I'll be the one wheelying around with a stupid grin on my face!

mtbr member
    Bump to the front!

Reminder, it's getting closer!
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

mtbr member
    will this system drain well from the few days of rain we are expecting?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Ya Wissi always drains pretty quickly...

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14
    will this system drain well from the few days of rain we are expecting?

Isnt this just typical. As soon as we have a cool event taking place out at the wiss, the rain has to come along and potentially screw it all up

Im still coming

mtbr member

Should be awesome!

Just in case you aren't signed up at our website, here is a message I sent out this morning:

Hello everyone!

The Philadelphia Mountain Biking Associationís 1st Rally in the Valley is this SATURDAY, April 28th. The weather gods seem to be smiling on us, but messing with us too. So far Friday is supposed to have showers and T-showers, and Saturday is supposed to be 68 degrees and mostly sunny. PERFECT riding weather in my book! Letís hope it holds to this model, as the trails are in great shape now, but are a little dry. The showers Friday should make them nice and tacky and loamy and just beautifulÖ Can you tell I am excited?!?!?!

With that said, I just want to let you all know a sampling of the swag that we will be raffling off to every paid participant:

CANNONDALE: Mountain Bike!!!!! Yes, a brand new bike!!!!
    Guyís Bikes: Brand new set of Mavic Crossland Wheels
    REI: Five $50 Gift Cards, lots of water bottles and other goodies
    Trophy Bikes: Surly Muy Limited Edition "Jim Brown" 32 hole single speed disc rear hub & gift cert to cover the wheel build, On Guard Mini TC-thinline U-lock, Bell Influx MTB helmet
    Oury USA: 25 pairs of Grips
    Maxxis: 15 pairs of tubeless tires
    Human Zoom: Five Gift Certificates for free tune up and lots of water bottles
    Keswick Cycle: Blackburn System X3 Light
    Cadence: Gift Cert for free Vo2 & Lactate Threshold Test ($250 Value) Racers will love this!
    Performance: Two $25 gift cards and Two free tune up gift certs
    High Road Cycles: Two Gift Certs for free Deluxe tune up and One Jersey
    Starbucks: LOTS OF FUEL!

Additionally, check out the website where we have DETAILED COURSE DESCRIPTIONS AND TOPO MAPS. We went all high-tech on everyone! We will have this information at the registration area blown up and mounted for all participants to read and view.

Another very important item: AFTER PARTY! My brother Paul and I will be holding an after party at our houses in Roxborough/Manayunk: 303 and 307 Ginger Lane, Phila PA 19128. We will have the wooden stunts set up on our hillside (that we were not allowed to set up at the Rally) and we have made them a lot more technical and difficult. Things could get interesting! Just donít try them if youíve had some drinks! Party should start around 3 depending on how long it takes us to clean up after the Rally. (Maybe we can get some people to help us clean up so the party can start earlier! Hint-hint,wink-wink)

Hope to see you there! Thanks for reading.

Lou Harris
    PMBA President
    www.phillymtb.com
    **APRIL 28TH RALLY IN THE VALLEY**
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeas this is only 2 short days away.

don't let the possibility of rain on firday scare you. the trails are in great shape and the phillymtb.com crew has been owrking tirelessly to make this event go off as best we possibly can. (we can't get a weather machine just yet)

off the record 2: years ago i brought some of my own "adult bevvy's" and no one said a damn thing. i also often enjoy an after ride beer in the city parks and so far i have never had a problem. but of course, officially, we can't say it is ok; and no beer will be served by us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Wheel Wright put together a pretty nice pile of swag for Saturday. A bunch of helmets, a jersey or two, and a few other things as well. Everyone is really stoked about this event and glad to be a part of it.

I think I'm going to bring some covert "Coca Cola" cups... Nothin' like a fine brew out of a straw

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeas this is only 2 short days away.

don't let the possibility of rain on firday scare you.
    Not to be the proverbial (or pun-y) stick-in-the-mud, but any other time we receive ~4 inches of rain (and counting) in a 24 hr period, I can't help but think most would tow the line of responsibility and say 'stay off the trails!', much less advocate hitting them by the hundreds a day later. . .

But, what do I know?

See you there!
    Last edited by Stick; 04-27-2007 at 06:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, bad timing on this amount of rain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    stick - yeah, normally i'd agree, but you should see all the trail work done by PMBA to get the trails in shape for saturday...

i can also DEFINITELY say if we do and up rutting up some trails tomorrow we will be sure to go out and fix any problems we create.

plus the money is basically all going into trail maintenance anyway as far as i understand so you'll be paying 20 bucks to ride in conditions you normally shouldn't, and a big part of that 20 will go toward cleaning up the resulting mess and keeping the trails nice all year long.

on a relavent sidenote: starting next month pmba will have a monthly trail mainenance day where we specifically address MTB trail issues. so if you see anything in the park that needs some love let us know. or better yet come on out and put some sweat equity back into the trails.... details to follow @ http://www.phillymtb.com/

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    stick - yeah, normally i'd agree, but you should see all the trail work done by PMBA to get the trails in shape for saturday...

i can also DEFINITELY say if we do and up rutting up some trails tomorrow we will be sure to go out and fix any problems we create.

plus the money is basically all going into trail maintenance anyway as far as i understand so you'll be paying 20 bucks to ride in conditions you normally shouldn't, and a big part of that 20 will go toward cleaning up the resulting mess and keeping the trails nice all year long.
    I don't doubt it Max. I was just being a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I don't doubt it Max. I was just being a pain in the ass.
    and I just want to be sure the people know we ain't a bunch of greedy trail ruining bastiges... tireless efforts on the part of our trail crew have sawed down at least 3 BIG trees that fell in last weeks ridiculous storm. they have been also been trying to improve drainage in some problem areas and generally busting there asses to make the park as nice as we possibly can for tomorrow!

say hi if you see me tomorrow!

hopefully i can pull some on-the-trail "volunteer" duty and don't have to sit at a desk all day... i promise it will be fun; it will be the one day you can feel good about getting muddy on the trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast