mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Race face 30t narrow wide chain ring

I ordered one of these from jenson that was on back order and found one available on bike an.com that I ordered. They both ended up arriving while I was on vacation last week. Before I ship one back I wanted to see if anyone in south eastern pa would be interested in buying the extra one for $50. I'm about 5 minutes from marsh creek and would rather just sell it to someone local than send it back. If you are in the area and are interested let me know.

Here are couple shots of the one I put on my bike. The one I'm getting rid of is the same 30t model but in black.

And a review from pink bike: Race Face Narrow Wide Chainring - Tested - Pinkbike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Race face 30t narrow wide chain ring-image.jpg  

Race face 30t narrow wide chain ring-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Don't want it, but would like an update on how you like it. It looks like your not using any type of chain stay. Im running a 1x9 set up and have frequent chain jumps.
    If you dont mind after a few hard rides post you thoughts
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    What crank?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    What crank?
    What crank am I using with mine? It's the stock Shimano FC-M521 that came on the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkad View Post
    Don't want it, but would like an update on how you like it. It looks like your not using any type of chain stay. Im running a 1x9 set up and have frequent chain jumps.
    If you dont mind after a few hard rides post you thoughts
    That's right, no chain guide. The narrow-wide tooth pattern on the teeth is supposed to hold the chain in place well enough that a guide is not needed. Ideally this would be set up with a clutch derailleur but mine is just a standard non-clutch XT.

I have about 40 miles on it now, all at Marsh Creek which is not super technical but has enough roots and rocks to get things rattling around a bit in spots. I dropped the chain once in that time. Not in a really technical spot but a fast little down hill dip with a quick transition to flat. That created the perfect storm of rapid compression of the rear suspension while pedaling and the derailleur couldn't keep up enough to prevent some slack in the chain. I guess this is where a fancy clutch derailleur would have helped. I've ridden that same spot 3 times and only had an issue once.

Other than the one drop it has been great. It is so much quieter than my 3X set up I can't believe it. I'm still getting used to not having a granny to bail out to on really steep stuff but where I typically ride that's really only an issue for about 30 seconds out of a 2 hour ride and hopefully I'll adapt and get a little stronger.

I'm no expert but I think if you are having issues with dropping the chain this would definitely help. How effective it is without a chain guide is going to depend on your derailleur, how much rear travel you have (if any), and the terrain.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    after doing some calculations, I think I'll pass. I like my granny gear.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram