Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

"Race" da Rocks at Hunlocks 2013

21K views 147 replies 25 participants last post by  NEPMTBA 
#1 ·
Yes, I said "Race"

Just a brief overview...

...the gracious guys at HCGA Scott, Jimmy, and Ed have finalized approval for a mt bike race in 2013. This thread will talk about, organize, and consume the opening dialog and planning right up until race day.

Our main goals are: To host a race that "all" can have fun at, and add a mt bike race to our list of expanding races/events that our Moto club has been running since 1962.

As for now HCGA, NEPMTBA and a well known guy(who can chime in whenever he feels like it)... Rich...LOL are all on board for putting on a great race for all to enjoy. Those of you who know Rich from the Coal Cracker Classic know he is a great guy and very determined and we totally support his race and efforts!

The race course located near Wilkes Barre Pa, at the HCGA property is fairly new to the mt biking world, and our ever expanding and improving trails have only been on dirt for 2 years. Many of you have never visited the trails at HCGA, being private property it is not open all the time to ride but better still when invites are offered they always come with lots of good times and in 2013 we will continue to have the HCGA Friday night pasta rides as well as pre race rides open to all who wish to join us.

As far as course design we "will not" run you on the Triple Black Diamond trials type sections, but use a designed "race course" containing: Cross Country MTB type Dirt Roads, Dual Track, and Single Track, so a great mix of all will exist as well as lots of elevation changes and passing zones!

Any bike shop, business, or person(s) interested in sponsoring or supporting this race can post here in this thread, PM NEPMTBA, or cr500 here on MTBR, or call Scott Olex at 574-2832

So, now all we need is racers!

More coming soon, any questions gladly answered, please chime in the conversation!

See less See more
#9 ·
HCGA isn't really a moto club. We are a bunch of guys that ride dirtbikes that acquired a bunch of land for us to ride on and do whatever we want as far as playing goes. That ends up being dirt bikes, mountain bikes, shooting, hunting, camping yadda yadda... A good number of us are members of BMER and if you race in NE PA you most likely know or have have raced one of the hare scrambles we promote each year. You will not see a dirt bike race at HCGA, maybe a moto trials someday but no dirtbike races.

This race will be a Mountain Bike XC race that will be coordinated with the Coal Cracker Classic folks in some way. Some kind of a small pirate series or a flavor of NE PA mount biking kind of thing. It's just a way of returning something to the mountain bike community.

#17 ·
Sliding off topic here a bit and not to confuse anyone...
...another event we are considering is a Super D Enduro format...

cr500, As we have spoke about timing systems here's something to look at:
http://forums.mtbr.com/enduro-super-d-racing/enduro-timing-systems-timing-formats-806959.html

I like the idea of satellite clocks and transponders, but as you know from District 6 Moto harescrambles transponders can be costly and a hassle. I know Ed B could rough out something since he did such a great job with programing the Moto timing system for our BMER club.

#18 · (Edited)
Here's your updates: 1/26/13

Date for the MTB race will be Saturday July 27th 2013

We will be on Bikereg.com soon, I don't know if Scott will limit entries

Over night parking.

We will have all the similar format and regular classes that Rich uses at the Coal Cracker Classic, age groups & skill levels. Laps will be: all beginner classes 1 lap, all intermediate classes 2 laps, all expert classes 3 laps.

We will have "prerides" starting in the spring, hope you can join us for all the fun!

Facebook page, please join:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/400684653354883/#!/groups/400684653354883/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This event will be the unofficial "East Coast~Coaster Brake Challenge" Meaning we will have class where you can race your coaster brake bike, no handbrakes or gears allowed in this class coaster brakes only, and it will be 2 laps of the course. So get build'in your "Coastie" Need info? Here's a great site! "Let's get Coast'in"

Lots of great info here:
Coaster Brake Challenge

Rules for coaster brake bikes:

16 years and older

One class, any skill level welcome, 2 laps of course

The rear hub must be a coaster brake, single speed coaster brake only.

No internal geared hubs(sturmey-archer, bendix two speed kick backs etc.) no derailleur of any kind (A chain tensioner fine). No external gearing. No gears. No fixed gear. A good gear combo at HCGA would be 32/20.

Cranks of any kind may be used as well as pedals.

No hand brakes of any kind. No secondary braking system of any kind. No drum brakes, no cables, rods, levers, etc of any kind. You pedal forward to go forward and back to stop. Nothing else.

Frames,your choice, whatever you can make work safely, but there are no frame restrictions.

If you would like to view or compete in "Moto Trials" competition the next day, hang out and Sunday July 28th Ed Roman will be hosting a round of the Mid Atlantic Vintage Trials(MAVT)

Need more info on this:
Index

"Race the Rocks"

#22 ·
Well done!

Lots of classes and the Coaster brake class ta boot Woo-Hoo!

If you want help in the next few weeks we should clear the parking area of the poles and weeds, now while the ground is hard and the weeds are dead, we can use it for the MAVT trials also!

Thanks
Let me know.

#23 ·
We can use the field for parking. There are plenty flat spots for camping. There are spots up by the well house for the adventurous. Ray is OK with the field. A Sunday morning moon ride and a knobby line for trials on Sunday sounds great to me. I am looking into t-shirts and Jimmy is working on the graphics. I am also looking into moto and bike high-end jerseys with sub-laminated graphics. The jerseys would be special order.

Time to start getting out to the local shops and getting flyers out.

We should clear the side of the turnaround for camping. If we get a thaw we can give Brian's a shot on a Saturday.

#27 ·
PHeller,

There are a bunch of issues that eliminate motocross or harescramble from happening at our place. We have very little open land to provide a start area, we have almost no level land to provide parking for the big rigs that come to our other events and we couldn’t even come close to handling the parking. The only open land we do have is bordered by to many neighbors to put that much activity in such a small place. A bunch of us are very seasoned at promoting moto events and our place isn’t well suited. Being a land use guy I’m sure you understand that not all locations are good for every activity.

Scott

#31 ·
PHeller,
A bunch of us are very seasoned at promoting moto events and our place isn't well suited. Being a land use guy I'm sure you understand that not all locations are good for every activity.
Scott
Thanks Scott. I was just curious, and figured that you guys were making a wise decision. Wish younger riders would understand the idea of "appropriate venues" instead of ripping up someone else's land.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.