Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

"Race" da Rocks at Hunlocks 2013

21K views 147 replies 25 participants last post by  NEPMTBA 
#1 ·
Yes, I said "Race"

Just a brief overview...

...the gracious guys at HCGA Scott, Jimmy, and Ed have finalized approval for a mt bike race in 2013. This thread will talk about, organize, and consume the opening dialog and planning right up until race day.

Our main goals are: To host a race that "all" can have fun at, and add a mt bike race to our list of expanding races/events that our Moto club has been running since 1962.

As for now HCGA, NEPMTBA and a well known guy(who can chime in whenever he feels like it)... Rich...LOL are all on board for putting on a great race for all to enjoy. Those of you who know Rich from the Coal Cracker Classic know he is a great guy and very determined and we totally support his race and efforts!

The race course located near Wilkes Barre Pa, at the HCGA property is fairly new to the mt biking world, and our ever expanding and improving trails have only been on dirt for 2 years. Many of you have never visited the trails at HCGA, being private property it is not open all the time to ride but better still when invites are offered they always come with lots of good times and in 2013 we will continue to have the HCGA Friday night pasta rides as well as pre race rides open to all who wish to join us.

As far as course design we "will not" run you on the Triple Black Diamond trials type sections, but use a designed "race course" containing: Cross Country MTB type Dirt Roads, Dual Track, and Single Track, so a great mix of all will exist as well as lots of elevation changes and passing zones!

Any bike shop, business, or person(s) interested in sponsoring or supporting this race can post here in this thread, PM NEPMTBA, or cr500 here on MTBR, or call Scott Olex at 574-2832

So, now all we need is racers!

More coming soon, any questions gladly answered, please chime in the conversation!

See less See more
#28 ·
bilbo56,

You have already ridden most of what will be the race course. Everyone will be running the same loop, the only difference will be beginners will do 1 lap, sport will do 2 laps and experts will do 3 laps. I anticipate some pretty fast and strong guys in the expert class but if you want to do 3 laps, I'll keep scoring open till Sunday if you want to take that long to finish, I promise. Hell, I'll even hop in my bike and ride the last lap with you if scoring is all settled down and my wife and daughters want to do awards. I’ll bring dinner out to you on the trail with fresh water too.

A bunch of years ago one of the other owners and I did our first mountain bike race at Bear Creek. We figured we weren’t fast but we might as well run the expert class since 27 miles seemed like a great ride even if we were going to come in last. I only did two laps but Ed did all three and they had scoring packed up and were doing the awards as Ed came pedaling up the hill to finish his third and last lap. Everyone just stopped, no one said anything everyone just stopped and went outside and lined the last 50 feet of the loop and cheered him over the finish line. I have raced at all kinds of thing all of my life and will continue to do so till I leave this planet. I have no idea where I finished or what races I’ve done for the most part but I will always remember that race. Ed won that race without question.

I’m pretty sure that at our age the race for me isn’t really with everyone at the event at least in mountain biking, dirt bikes are a bit different. If however you really want shoot for the highest finishing spot in a class that offers level competition, you will need to run your first race to see what a real race pace is like and where you stand. Wow, that was a long non-answer.

I’ll give the short answer that I give every first time harescrambler. Think of the first race you do as a trail ride with a few hundred of your closest friends. Get a last place start and run a pace that you know will let you finish. These kinds of races can be long and you will pass pretty much everyone you would have with a first place start. Race your first race to finish because you can’t finish first if you don’t make it to the end. Ed may have finished last that day a bunch of years ago but he finished and beat me like a drum. Three laps beats two every time

Besides I can change anyone’s class the day of the race if they wish.

#30 ·
Thanks for all your support guys...

...we greatly appreciate it, we always wanted a fun event in the area that we can all gather, race, and share friendships.

Bill,

Hit up a pre-ride if you can as we will have them in the future.

On your opportunity to race, first no undue pressure on yourself. Have everything ready before hand. sign up ride around to warm up. Maybe a couple jaunts up the uphill to get it all flowing. Show up early for the start, listen to the promoters instructions, find your spot.

That's when the fun begins. Pace yourself in the beginning, concentrate on picking good lines. Walk or run areas you don't feel comfortable attacking, no harm in walking, sometimes it's actually faster. Crashing burns up too much time and harm. If you encounter a slower rider give them a "On your left" and pass clean. Watch the course directions.

Remember you are here for fun!

I have no doubt you will do good!
I wish you the best!

Team Fat Dog

#32 ·
I use to be able to ride a dirt bike in the valley for 5 or 6 hours and never even think of being board or having to head up the mountains as little as 10 years ago. Now you have to shoot from place to place and head right up the mountain with all the land being closed up. It is a shame that the world is changing but it's where we are at. It's so much easier to talk with people if we haven't pissed them off before we need to talk about riding areas. A loud exaust is so hard to get past when talking to people living in an area where people ride followed by trash. I was a huge ass when I was a kid so I can't throw any stones from my glass house.

#33 ·
Scott, cant wait for this. I plan on racing but I will also help you guys get ready (trail maintenance, marking the course off or anything else needed to be done as we get closer). I'll also do my best to get others I know that ride to get them to sign up and race....you have been kind enough to let me ride at your land more times than I can remember so helping you guys get ready is the least I can do....

#37 ·
Scott and I added trail up on top of the mountain, it's a combo of smooth Moto trail with a few neat rock outcrops, and green friendly trail with lots of room to pass and flow. Can't wait for the weather to break to have a preride with all of ya! Scott Olex is doing a great job!...LOL

Attachments

#50 ·
Red,

Thanks a ton, and I look forward to seeing you and Rob out this season. We have open rides and we'll have pre-rides so there will be a ton of opportunities. Maybe we can get you out on that KTM. Please put the flyers everywhere you can and we appreciate the help.

This makes me remember Rich's contest from last year for the Coal Cracker Classic. He had a photo contest on their Facebook group for photos posting flyers at local businesses. With that in mind we'll do a similar contest. Whoever posts the most photos of themselves hanging our flyer in local businesses will get a free race shirt. We are still working on the race shirts but if they end up being what I think, you won't be disappointed. They should be modern wicking material with sub-laminated graphics. They should be real nice...

#55 ·
Ds33gt,

We are working on the design as we speak. I need to get to all of the local bike shops to determine all those that want to do some sponsorship and we need to finalize a design. I am hoping to get this worked out soon. If all works out these should be very nice racing jerseys. I would think we will hit the minimum so we should be able to order t-shirts too. These will me modern wicking material with sub-laminated graphics. i am hoping to add them to the merchandising section of the race on bikereg.com. This would allow me to make one order before the race and maybe one after the race for those that decide at the race the want one. We will make a good deal of these but they will be more than cheap cotton T's. I am really hoping these turn out like I am hoping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.