mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Race bike rental in Philly area?

As noted in my previous post, my bike is out of commision. Is there any local shop that would rent a race quality XC bike for French Creek?

mtbr member
    I have never heard of a shop that would rent a bike knowing it was going to be raced. If you want to be a jerk you could go and pretend to be shopping and ask to demo a bike for the day, but I'd be pretty pissed if some one did that to my shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have rented bikes from Richardson Bike Mart in Dallas, Trailhead Mountain Bikes in Tahoe, and a shop I can't remember in Atlanta all with the explicit stated intent that the bikes would be raced. In all cases the bike shop employees were extremely helpful with preride advice and setup info.

It certainly isn't unheard of. Why would the fact that the bike is being raced make any difference? I ride 95% of race speed everytime I go out. Bike racing provides only marginally more stress on a bike than a normal ride. It isn't like car racing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bikeline in Newark Delaware has daily and weekly rentals of race quality bikes. Link and rental info is below.

Dan

http://www.bikeline.com/locations/location.html

Bike Line of Newark
    212 East Main Street
    Newark, DE 19711
    302-368-8779
    Manager - Howard Brown

E-Mail us @ newark@bikeline.com

Directions: From I-95: Take Rt. 273 W 4 miles on right just past Newark Shopping Center.

HOURS
    Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 10-7
    Wednesday, Friday 10-8
    Saturday 9-5
    Sunday 11-4

We have a great fleet of rental mountain bikes available. Check out the trails at Fair Hill or Iron Hill on one of our full suspension rides. We offer daily, weekend or full week rental rates.

Non Suspension
    Daily $15
    Weekend $25
    Weekly $40

Front Suspension
    Daily $25
    Weekend $45
    Weekly $75

Full Suspension
    Daily $35
    Weekend $60
    Weekly $95

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks. You're a lifesaver. I've got a Fuel 98 reserved, and yes I did mention that I was racing it at French Creek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    good god; i wouldn't want to rent bikes to race @ FC. that said, glad you got one!

should be a bargain compared to what you'd do to your bike on a rainy day race. i bet you use at least half a set of brake pads and pack mud into just about every orifice of that sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah. I should probably offer to buy a new set of pads for the bike and spot them a few to cover the labor of breaking it down and relubing everything.

Is it going to be a mudfest or just a little sloppy? I guess we'll wait and see.