mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quick help on race class tomorrow please!

I know, nothing like last minute. It has been years since I raced MTB. When I did it was in beginner class, where I was middle of the pack. I am going to race Cylce Mania at Blue Marsh tomorrow, up near Reading.
    I just moved here from Massachusetts and don't know the course. I am in decent shape, race cyclocross (C) and usually get smoked. I am trying to decide on racing begginer or sport. The reason to do sport is that it is a 90 minute ride to get there, so would rather race 90 minutes or so in sport instead of 45 in beginner. While I don't mind getting dropped, if I don't belong with sport riders and it will be a joke, I should do beginner.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

sport

I would recommend sport, for the reasons you mentioned regarding race vs. drive time. Plus its a fast course and you should do well with the 'cross background. As I understand there are only 2 or 3 climbs about 800 total elevation gain per lap.

-matt

mtbr member
    IDK your riding style or anything about you so I can't REALLY judge you personally, but it sounds like you're a beginner. If you don't care about your time and want to justify the drive then "race" Sport class. If you really want to RACE, then do Beginner class and see how you do back down here. The course I know at Blue Marsh was flat and fast with one killer climb on the back sied of the hill. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Thank you both - I am still torn

Pro's and con's, I guess. Maybe leaning a bit toward beginner, as assuming it is 45 minutes or so in duration, good 'cross practice as that is how long races in my class last. And I say I don't mind being dropped, but coming in last by huge amount vs. maybe being in the hunt..........ack

mtbr member
    I think if choose beginner you'll regret not choosing sport whereas if you choose sport - even if you come in dead last - you'll never regret not choosing beginner. Plus, you obviously have some experience under your belt so you can't really call yourself a beginner anyway.....and you're paying your money and making the effort to get there so you're gonna want to get your money's worth mileage-wise.
    The last time I raced I entered expert only because there were only two other experts in my age group and I was pretty much guaranteed third place. Sure, I came in last out of everyone but still got a medal out of it and never regretted that decision once.
    Remember to have fun and not take things too seriously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

I was going to race sport but changed my mind at 5:30 AM

I woke up early and the mind started racing - how racing sport would infringe a bit on afternoon family obligations, how last time I raced MTB 7 years ago I was middle of pack in beginner, how sport would be twice the pain, etc., etc. So I decided to head out early and race beginner. I won.
    I not only won my age group (I am 49), I won overall! WTF?!?!
    Major caveats: tiny race with about 33 people overall, about 7 people were REAL beginners (think sneakers and sweat pants, which while I felt funny lining up against this, glad to see it), etc., etc. Of course, next time I race, it will be in sport, but again my last experience gave me no clue I would do this well. I guess this is what 'cross training and losing tons of weight can do!
    So yes, I felt a bit like a sandbagger, but again had no concrete reason to think this ahead of time, and I did race a smart race and was dead at the end. But I have to tell you - it was cool winning!! I will likely never win a bike race again.
    Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Congrats. I really wanted to race today but my knee is still messed up. I really like Blue Marsh. My plan was to come in last in sport.

I am not surprised you did well in beginner after you said you have raced before and ride cross.

Again, nice work.