mtbr member

Question for Monroeville Locals

Hey all, I am thinking about moving to the Pittsburgh area, specifically, Monroeville. Right now I live about 2 hours away from the city. I currently live about 40 min away from laurel mountain 50 min from 7 springs and less than 20 minutes from many good local trails. I'm wondering what the riding is like near monroeville. I love the area but I am hesitant to move it means I am only able to ride once a week. Are there many good trails 20 minutes or so away from Monroeville that I could ride on weeknights after work? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Boyce Park on the border of Monroeville and Plum offers 20+ miles of singletrack loops. Fast and flowy, and minutes away. Frick park is maybe 15 to 20 minutes away and gives you a few more miles of singletrack. Roaring Run in Apollo is maybe 30 minutes away and just sick. Lots of other options as well.

mtbr member
    haha with traffic in monroeville i'd like to see someone get to frick park in 15 to 20 minutes..and with traffic in murrysville, i'd like to see someone get to apollo in 30 minutes.
    cas im diggin a ditch where madness gives a bit.

mtbr member
    if you go through plum past boyce park entrance and turn on 380 you come out on 286 after all the traffic and lights. it takes 35 min from boyce. i do it all the time. i agree on frick. i can be in apollo faster than frick and if im going local theres plenty at boyce plus your car and valuables will be there when you get back. also you will still be about an hour from springs and a little over that to laurel mtn. plenty of riding options

mtbr member
    funny you should say that...when i was younger and still lived in pittsburgh, we went to the wave pool at boyce park. we came back a few hours later and someone broke into the car and stole the radio, 3 purses, which was like a little over $200 and a few credit cards and a bunch of stuff from the glove box. so yeah, no worries...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave
    haha with traffic in monroeville i'd like to see someone get to frick park in 15 to 20 minutes..and with traffic in murrysville, i'd like to see someone get to apollo in 30 minutes.
    I can do Frick Park in 25 or so minutes from Monroeville and Apollo is definitely and easy 30 minutes and you should not have to go through Murrysville to get to Apollo from Monroeville, I used to drive to IUP from Monroeville and make it in 50 minutes and Apollo is kind of the 1/2 way point going straight down Route 22 in Monroeville to 286 in Plum. I am not sure where the trail head is for Roaring Run but I plan on finding out when I move back to the "ville" this August And as far as security issues go I never worry... Must of been those past 15 years of owning jeeps and never running a top travel light and smart
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    jeeps are so necessary for western pennsylvania. about as necessary as deer hunting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antgrave
    jeeps are so necessary for western pennsylvania. about as necessary as deer hunting.
    Back in the day we used to meet up in the Miracle Mile and run down to Apollo to explore the powers lines ahh those were fun days And really are jeeps necessary any where? Probably not, but, then again niether are Mt Bikes... But they are fun I do miss my jeeps!!! but my Subaru is not a bad little car, shame the top doesn't come off as easy as a jeeps and you know there is nothing wrong with deer hunting if you really enjoy it and you don't just waste a dears life for the sake of a thrill you kill it make sure its not a waste

Back to the original posters question dascro, I am living in Colorado right now and I could in theory ride 3 times a week, but, I usually on get out 1 time for sure and maybe 2, the trails are all pretty close to my house. I am moving back to Monroeville for either a job prospect or maybe school and I am excited to bring my bike with me I heard really good things about Boyce and Roaring run, and I am very curious about Frick. I have searched here a few times to get info on these places and it seems like Roaring run will be the most fun and I am pretty sure I ll take advantage of Boyce alot since I could ride there from where I am staying in Monroeville.

Why are you Moving to the area? Job or school or just a change? Depending on work/school schedules I am pretty sure you could ride more than once a week. But if you are feeling skeptical why not bring you bike down and do a Boyce run? when I was in Monroeville I stopped by the Pgh Pro bike shop on 22 and they told me they meet at Boyce on Sundays for a ride, also I think it might be worth driving to Apollo to check that out too. You are not that far away and a few days of rides in the area willl let you know if a move is worth your while.

I am still on vacation so I need to take advantage of the day and go ride myself, just hopw the altitude doesn't give me a tough time after a week of beer in Pittsburgh

mtbr member
    Well I there is a job there that I would love to take, but I wonder if it is really worth it if I'd have to give up biking. I'm a believer in the philosophy of work to live rather than live to work. But its good to hear there are lots of places to ride nearby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Well I there is a job there that I would love to take, but I wonder if it is really worth it if I'd have to give up biking. I'm a believer in the philosophy of work to live rather than live to work.
    WELL SAID!!! If you don't have to make a hasty decision try to get to the area and hook up with some locals for some rides. Monroeville is not a bad day trip from Johnstown, unless your driving something that gets less than 25 MPG then its bad when I was intown last week and early this week I drove my friends Dodge Ram V8 360 and I ll just say 100$ in gas does not get you real far in that thing. My subaru will go for 600-700 miles easy on 80$ and his truck might go 200 miles on 100$. Enough *****ing about gas prices all I need is some beer or coffee to fuel the Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    WELL SAID!!! If you don't have to make a hasty decision try to get to the area and hook up with some locals for some rides. Monroeville is not a bad day trip from Johnstown, unless your driving something that gets less than 25 MPG then its bad when I was intown last week and early this week I drove my friends Dodge Ram V8 360 and I ll just say 100$ in gas does not get you real far in that thing. My subaru will go for 600-700 miles easy on 80$ and his truck might go 200 miles on 100$. Enough *****ing about gas prices all I need is some beer or coffee to fuel the Heckler

I'll be heading to monroeville this weekend to visit family. I think i'll take the heckler out to boyce park to see how it is. Unfortuatnly i only get about 20mpg on the highway but i guess thats as good as it gets with a fullsize truck.

mtbr member
    keith, if you are cross the bridge in apollo you make an immediate right after it(there is a small red sign that says roaring run trail w an arrow) you continue straight a mile or two and the road splits. go right there(also a small red sign there) and continue to the parking lot. you ride the river trail 1.5 miles till you reach the first bridge on it. make a left immediately and you see the trail head

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bprush
    keith, if you are cross the bridge in apollo you make an immediate right after it(there is a small red sign that says roaring run trail w an arrow) you continue straight a mile or two and the road splits. go right there(also a small red sign there) and continue to the parking lot. you ride the river trail 1.5 miles till you reach the first bridge on it. make a left immediately and you see the trail head
    sweet, I wont be back till mid August but I am definitely going to check it out.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Murrysville is only like 10 minutes from Monroeville so you might want to check out Duff Park and Pleasant Valley Park. Both parks are small but they are fun places to ride. Pleasant Valley is all just nice flowing singletrack, Duff has lots of steep climbs and a lot of off camber stuff with big roots all over the place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    I'll be heading to monroeville this weekend to visit family. I think i'll take the heckler out to boyce park to see how it is. Unfortuatnly i only get about 20mpg on the highway but i guess thats as good as it gets with a fullsize truck.
    Let us know if you had fun with the Heckler at Boyce.

mtbr member
    It was pretty decent. The weather was pretty foul but that trail was better than I expected. Its nice to know that that is so close to my potential employer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Like everyone else said there is definitely some decent riding close to Monroeville. I live about a mile from Roaring Run and ride there every time I'm back from school. Between there and Boyce park you could pretty easily get in 2-3 nights after work each week, plus the weekends.

mtbr member
    Dascro,

Did you ever move to the Monroeville area?

Keith