formerly Giantxc

Question on Michaux when wet

All,

I'm heading up to Michaux for the Maximus on Sunday and with all the rain in the forcast am looking for advise on tires. I've heard the course typically drains well and that the big issue is wet rocks.

I typically run Hutchinson Python 2.0 UST tires, but they are pretty poor in muddy conditions. Anybody have any experience with these tires at Michaux after 2 days of rain? I also have the option of runing WTB Weirwolf 2.1 UST's which are a bit better in mud, but still have a tendency to pack up. I could also use a set of Geax Blade 2.0, but while they are great in mud I only have the non-UST version and would prefer to stick to UST's for the rocky trails in Michaux.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't worry about mud at Michaux. The wet rocks are what you will need to deal with. The only place that would be any concern for your tires packing with mud would be the last 2 miles of the course. They finish on an ATV dirt road that can get tacky but not typically a big problem. I'll be there on Sunday racing the sport class. I am using WTB Motoraptors that seem to work well at Michaux for me.

mtbr member
    Just use your most rugged tires, the rocks out there will eat your sidewalls for breakfast.

formerly Giantxc
    Thanks both, maybe I'll risk it and stick with my Pythons. If you find me in the bushes, please just send somebody for me!

PaMtbRider, did we ride together a few weeks ago on the Sunday morning YAMBA ride at Michaux? I was one of the 3 guys from DC and was riding a red and white Haro.

See you Sunday. I'll be in the men's sport race as well.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    PaMtbRider, did we ride together a few weeks ago on the Sunday morning YAMBA ride at Michaux? I was one of the 3 guys from DC and was riding a red and white Haro.

See you Sunday. I'll be in the men's sport race as well.

Mike
    Yea, I was riding a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro. I was at Michaux on Monday of this week to ride the course one more time before the race. Three miles out I managed to snag my rear derailleur on a rock or something and broke the hanger. It ruined the ride but fortunately I got it fixed and should be ready for Sunday. Good Luck and maybe I'll see you Sunday.