mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Question for the Mechanics

I'm looking to upgrade my bike, piece by piece. I'd like to start with the frame and am interested in getting the tapered headset. My question - do I need to also get a tapered fork or is there some type of conversion kit that would allow me to use a straight (non-tapered) steerer tube on the fork? If a conversion kit exists, I'd like to hear from folks that are using it - any issues?

I looked at the other forum headings, but didn't see any where this topic would nicely fit. I appreciate any feedback you may have or if this topic has been covered in other forums.

Thanks

my church is the woods
    You can run a non-tapered steerer fork with a tapered frame, you just need the right headset. Cane Creek's website will help you get the right one. Also, King has all kinds of top quality headsets that will fit just about anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Actually, a good first question to ask here is whether your frame has the right headtube to use a tapered fork.

What frame do you have?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Other things to think about when wanting to move existing components onto a new frame...

- is the steerer on the fork long enough for the new frame? Compare current frame head length plus headset stack height vs new frame + new headset. Minor differences can be dealt with via different stem or headset spacer change. Major difference is probably a problem.

- If the new frame effective-top-tube isn't close to the current frame, you probably need a new stem.

- do they use the same width and type of bottom bracket?

- do they use the same mount-type of rear derailleur (if any)?

- do they use the same rear wheel axle width and type? If not, can your current rear hub be converted?

- do they use the same type of rear brake mount (probably)? If not you can probably find adaptor mounts.

- you'll want to just replace the derailleur cables and housings

- you MAY need a new rear brake line. maybe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job! Good answers

I currently have a 2007 Cannondale 29er w/ a lefty. I get the lefty serviced every two years by Mendoncyclesmith (renowned for servicing lefties). The lefty is now starting to wear out, it regularly leaks air - Mendoncyclesmith said you really can't do anything to fix it cheaply.I'm leaning towards a Niner EMD with a Rockshox Reba fork. I get a discount on certain Rockshox forks, and I've only seen the non-tapered versions available to me. Switching from a C-dale to a Niner, I'm hoping only to replace the fork, front wheel, headset, and stem. I think it is cheaper to buy a new fork, front wheel, headset, and stem than a new lefty.

My plan is to first buy the frame first, then get the fork and wheel later. I wish I could do everything at once, but I just can't afford it. I'll do a little at a time, while nursing my C-dale back to life, as needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Gotcha. From the first post, I wondered if you just wanted to put a tapered fork/headset in your current frame.

Yes, you can definitely put a straight steerer in a tapered headtube. There are headsets with special crown races for this. Cane Creek has one for sure. I've used this myself and it was perfectly fine..no issues at all.

Keep an eye out though for deals on Reba's and even SID's for that matter. I've seen them at pretty good prices, with tapered steerers. One thing to as well is the 2012 stuff is going to be Dual Air, while the newer stuff (that you can probably get the deals on) is going to be Solo Air. Dual Air lets you control both the positive and negative pressures separately, while Solo does it for you. I myself prefer the idea of Dual Air, I have it on both my SID and Reba forks, but must be honest in saying that I haven't yet had any experience with the new Solo Air stuff. Probably just fine too, I just like having the ability to control both pressures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Difference between Rebas and SIDs?

I've ridden a lefty for the last 6 years, so I haven't kept up with the traditional forks. jochribs - can you give me your opinion on the Reba and the SID? Is the increased price of the SID realized in the increased quality? Also, what's the difference between the RL and RLT on the Reba? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by lampeterbiker; 12-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Here, let me google that for you : Reba RL vs RLT question

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    You can run a non-tapered steerer fork with a tapered frame, you just need the right headset. Cane Creek's website will help you get the right one. Also, King has all kinds of top quality headsets that will fit just about anything.
    Like your new avatar... while at the same time, missing your old one.
    Sorry... not trying to rob the thread.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!