mtbr member

Question for the hardcore Wiss riders

My question is: Now that we have all the reworked trail and added trail, what is a fast time for completing the entire loop? [By entire loop, I mean starting at VG and riding c-clock to Bells Mills, to Forbidden Drive/Lincoln Drive trail head parking, to VG.]

For a few years now, I mostly been riding Wiss solo due to my schedule - I get out when I can and it doesn't make it easy to plan rides with others. Don't usually keep track, but know about how long it takes. It seems to take longer now that STI has been implemented or I'm just getting old and slow, maybe both.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Thanks. Right after I posted I thought "Strava." I'm need to get some technology; I don't have a computer on my mountain bike, much less a gps. 1:17 is smoking for a full loop.

mtbr member
    I'd consider 1:45 blazing fast, and that's a half hour slower. Guess that's why I'm not an XC racer.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post
    Thanks. Right after I posted I thought "Strava." I'm need to get some technology; I don't have a computer on my mountain bike, much less a gps. 1:17 is smoking for a full loop.
    Do you have a smartphone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Fastest I've done the loop is a little over 2 hours clockwise, starting at hermit lane.

I normally ride ccw starting at bells mills, I like to be humbled by that ridiculous climb in the beginning, makes every other climb during the ride seem short.

mtbr member
    no. Been meaning to get one, but I have a crappy blackberry that refuses to die. my did dunked it in a glass of water. Thought it was done for sure. I pulled out the battery and let it dry out. It flickered back to life and keeps working.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    BlackBerry World - Endomondo Sports Tracker

I use the android version of this app...could work for you. The data is also downloadable, for upload to Strava.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    LOL. I followed Patty W for a while on a ride one day last summer. Only managed to keep up with her for about 2 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    for me a full loop in under 2.5 seems pretty good. can't say i ride the full standard loop often though so honestly i have no idea how fast i could do it these days.

but i can totally imagine the type of d@uchebaggery involved in trying to set a strava record in a crowded place like the wiss. other trail users be damned i am racin the entire interwebzzzzz!!!!!! if your deadset on comparing yourself to everyone else, how bout setting records on the climbs and just trying not to run other folks down the rest of the time you are out there OKAY? or get some lights; after dark the place is your own personal racetrack.

even if your not chasing strava glory, please be nice out there! it goes a long way and won't slow you down much. i make it a point to try my best to at least say hi to everyone i pass on the trail and don't see why everyone can't try to do the same.

finally, i don't mean to to infer anyone here does this but it is a general trend i see amongst some of the "serious" racer types i encounter sometimes. if you can't be bothered to say hi maybe you need a roadbike where being unfriendly to fellow riders is considered cool in my experience.

sorry strava/racing ranting over.

mtbr member
    Man, you have a hard on for Strava/racers. I like your use of "d@chebaggery" though.

I was posting out of a general curiosity based on the evolution of the trails - seems like there is more trail than there used to be and to kind of gauge where I'm at compared to how long it takes a hammer to ride the loop. But now that I know about Strava, I can get my spandex kit on, put a scowl on my face and run down some old ladies with fu-fu dogs and/or little kids while yelling "Stava Leader" (similar to the d-bags that yell "age group leader" while coming through the pack at an xc-race).

I don't know if I ever see that many guys really hammering. Once and a while, I run into a couple guys who are clearly racers and getting after it, but they always seem in control and give trail - they don't say hi, but I can understand, if you're working hard its tough to speak. I've tried to say hi before and it doesn't come out b/c I'm gasping for breath - mostly a fitness issue and not a hammering the trails issue though. Even when you run into the group ride from Guy's, they are usually hammering but pretty courteous.

Over the years I can't really think of any riders who are as bad as some of the runners/hikers/horsey folk/unleashed dog owners who give you the stink-eye because you dare to ride a bike on the trail.