mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Question: Green Lane Upper Blue trail question...

I rode the Blue Tral (trail work is great). I typically ride the upper trail first and the come back along the lake. As I headed out when I hit the dirt road I banged a right and headed out to the paved road to catch the continuation of the blue by hitting the trailhead by turning left off the paved road. That trailhead is open to a double track but it seems like the blue trail is not accessible due to downed trees. Is that the case or did I miss something?

Thanks!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There were a bunch of downed trees, mostly in the ravine crossings, on the lower blue. I know they were working on getting some of it cleaned up. I think thats what your referring to. TEAMGLP on here was working on getting work days together to clean it up, but he's been silent on here for a bit.

Care to share where the upper blue starts? We've rode the blue numerous times and never located it. Taking a buddy around who's never rode GLP Sunday and we'd like to find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So the trail hits T's into a dirt road if you turn right and head up the hill past the chained, there is a trail head on the left before the stop sign. Now if memory serves me correct, it used to start as a double track (I think the rangers use it for access) and the blue trail continued off this double track on the right. I did not see that trailhead to the right of the double track. I accessed the blue again by following the double track to the lake and catching the white back up to the upper blue. I may have just missed that blue turn-off but I don't think so. There are a lot of downed trees in that area. I live in NJ but typically ride GL in the summer after work. I love this place and will be happy to lend a hand on trail work if I am able...
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I believe you are referring to the section that crosses over the swinging bridge rd. access near the big house with the pillars. Since we have been working with the park we have been focused on getting the main blue trail dialed in, they want one blue trail for mapping purposes. The loops will be cleaned up and hopefully in the near future because I personally like that top section, it is still there however the entrance has a tree across it and it is tough to see right now we rode it 2 weeks ago.

I do have good news for all riders the blue trail from the hill rd. access to the equestrian camp is now open. This section was closed to bikes for the past 15 or 20 years and includes some rocky technical sections which will help complete the loop. We rode on Sunday and the signs are down so have at it! There is a decent amount of overgrowth up there and plenty of loose rocks so take your time and check it out, our next work day may be in this area. Overall the trails were in good shape and the sections we repaired are holding up well. I am hoping to get more days in soon as my schedule slows down!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    I believe you are referring to the section that crosses over the swinging bridge rd. access near the big house with the pillars. Since we have been working with the park we have been focused on getting the main blue trail dialed in, they want one blue trail for mapping purposes. The loops will be cleaned up and hopefully in the near future because I personally like that top section, it is still there however the entrance has a tree across it and it is tough to see right now we rode it 2 weeks ago.

I do have good news for all riders the blue trail from the hill rd. access to the equestrian camp is now open. This section was closed to bikes for the past 15 or 20 years and includes some rocky technical sections which will help complete the loop. We rode on Sunday and the signs are down so have at it! There is a decent amount of overgrowth up there and plenty of loose rocks so take your time and check it out, our next work day may be in this area. Overall the trails were in good shape and the sections we repaired are holding up well. I am hoping to get more days in soon as my schedule slows down!
    That is great news. May try to hit it tonight. How are the trails? Wet?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Trails were in pretty good shape when we rode on Sunday, a few wet spots but mostly dry. We did find the upper blue, or at least some of it Sunday. It was a fun ride, and we explored some areas I'd never seen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    That is great news. May try to hit it tonight. How are the trails? Wet?
    So I went for ride. Was really hot and rode pretty crappy but the ability to connect the red trail with the blue and circle that park has really made Green lane a lot more fun to ride. All the trail work is really appreciated!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am planning on getting out tomorrow at some point and hoping to identify a few more areas that need attention and at least get a plan. Please feel free to let me know of any questionable areas your come across either signage or terrain issues. Glad it's getting used!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    I am planning on getting out tomorrow at some point and hoping to identify a few more areas that need attention and at least get a plan. Please feel free to let me know of any questionable areas your come across either signage or terrain issues. Glad it's getting used!
    Oh yeah. Love I there. Been there 4 times so far and it's my new fav trail system. I used to live near Reading and rode there a lot and I'm really stoked to have found a trail like this one near me. Great work.

Just wish it drained better but really that's my only gripe. Not much to be done about that I guess.

Blue Cdale ht if you guys are ever out.

Went for a ride after I posted this. I'll just edit this one instead of double posting. First I was fully prepared to give up and leave if the trails were too bad. They were actually pretty good! I left tracks not ruts. The blue trail was nice and moist with slick rocks and roots with a few muddy spots that were easy to ride around or walk around. I went right instead of left at the T to avoid the big ass gnarly climb. That section is great! It definitely needs work, but I liked what I rode there. I moved what I could, but there are a number of downed trees. One of them is a pretty nasty spiky one that I tried to move but it was beyond just me. Watch out for it up there it might hurt to hit it. Also up there some of the crossings are extreme at least for me. I'm no bad ass AM guy (yet) and I found myself walking around most of them. At one point it looked like the trail dropped down into a spring that was feeding the creek. (might be just extreme run off) Some old horse back signs up there too with sections of trail that would not be cool to ride a horse up. (for the horse)

I bypassed the section after the Hill RD boating area because of time and weather concerns so I can't comment on that section. The Perk was fine if a bit washed out in places.

The bathrooms at the top of the RED trail are CLOSED for repairs. That means that the water source is OFF. I spoke to a ranger who happened by and he said that it should be done by Tuesday. He was sympathetic about the water situation and said he would bring up putting out some temporary solution like a cooler or something.
    I'm stuck riding with 2 24oz bottles and I always fill one or top the other off there. I'm a thirsty bastard. My camelbak's bladder is shot atm.

The Red trail was nice other than the gnarly jump over a fallen log. I just don't have the g-nads to hit that just yet. (pretty rotten by now too) The gravel sections of the Red trail are torn to SHREDS by the equestrians. It is pock marked, cratered, and completely torn up. Some had ridden today I guess and left divots all over the trail. And they complain that WE tear up trails...

All in all a nice ride. About 2 hours of work give or take.

Notably bad spots were the drive way or whatever right before the Hill rd area, and and about 20 yards or so on the tail end of the Red trail. There was a drowned ground hog laying there...dinner?
    Last edited by Energetik; 06-28-2013 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Energetik View Post
    The Red trail was nice other than the gnarly jump over a fallen log. I just don't have the g-nads to hit that just yet. (pretty rotten by now too) The gravel sections of the Red trail are torn to SHREDS by the equestrians. It is pock marked, cratered, and completely torn up. Some had ridden today I guess and left divots all over the trail. And they complain that WE tear up trails...

All in all a nice ride. About 2 hours of work give or take.

Notably bad spots were the drive way or whatever right before the Hill rd area, and and about 20 yards or so on the tail end of the Red trail. There was a drowned ground hog laying there...dinner?
    I know that log, and don't care for it either. If someone moves the stuff behind it you won't know till it's too late. We have been bypassing that section. If I got permission I'd gladly carry my saw back and remove it from the trail. I think it's more liablilty than obstacle.

A drowned groundhog is the best kind!