mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Question about tire selection for Raystown this month

I haven't been there since the summer. I am currently running the Kenda Nevegals that came on my bike when I bought it, but I've been curious about the Small Block 8's, I've noticed at my LBS that Cannondale seems to be equipping many of their bikes this past year with SB8's, and I was curious as to why.

I read that these do best on hardpack, and it seems like for how smooth the Raystown trails are that they might be good, but this month according to this site it seems like there are wet leaves and other slippery things to contend with.

I'm going there on the 24th, think I should run what I have (Nevegals) or give the SB8's a try?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd say give the SB8 a shot, i rode there on the 11th with low-tread tires and was fine with it.

Only watch out for

- excessive speed ( but that's the point, right? )
    - the rocks by the bridge on Sidewinder by the bridge
    - the rocks on the rocky trail, all thirty feet or so ;^)

I just say that to point out that the SB8 has thin sidewalls and at-speed could pinch flat pretty easily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have heard from several people that small blocks are solid during the dry summer season, but they suck nuts when the leaves start falling and it gets slick. I wouldn't recommend using them now with the leaves covering the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking there will be significant leaf covering by the time we get there so maybe I should just run what I am used to and try the SB8's next summer.

mtbr member
    I was just there this weekend. It was so dry that we were kicking up dust. The leaves are getting chewed up from the traffic, so they weren't an issue. If it doesnt' rain this week, you are going to want something for dry/loose hardpack.

It was superfun. Perfect weather, lot of riders, but you hardly saw anybody when you got out into the trails. Post ride at the trail head, cracking beers and everybody who came in had a big **** eating grin.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

ganginwood
    nevegal on the front, sb8 on the rear. that's a common marriage of tire selections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking there will be significant leaf covering by the time we get there so maybe I should just run what I am used to and try the SB8's next summer.
    I was there a couple weeks ago (10-3) and a guy was using a leaf blower blowing leaves from the trails. I heard they do that and now I actully saw it, what a great place to ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    nevegal on the front, sb8 on the rear. that's a common marriage of tire selections.
    This is what I run when it is dry out, 2.35 Nevegal on the front, 2.1 SB8 on the rear. When the rain falls and things start to get slick the SB8 does suck. Current setup is the Neve up front with a 1.95 Komodo on the rear.