mtbr member

Quebec Run...Whitetail Trail..

I'm looking at riding the Quebec Run area this weekend. I've never been there but hear the trails are nice. Is there a recommended route? And are the trails marked well? I found a map of the area and have my plans are to start from Quebec Rd and ride Miller Trail, Mill Run, Tebolt then ride Hess back to trail head.
    Looks like that should let me ride most of what's there. With the exception of Brocker & Rankin. Is there any reason I should include those in my ride? I'm just looking to get the best ride since I've never been there.
    Would it be better to start that loop from Quebec Run or Skyline Dr?

Also what is Whitetail like. Can't make a loop out of it but and out and back is an option. Would that be a better ride than Quebec?
    ¡uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ¡¡¡pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I think your route is good, but I would make a couple of small changes. I've only ridden this place once, so take it for what it's worth:

1. Take your above route to Tebolt.
    2. Take Tebolt to Quebec Rd and turn around there. {Tebolt pretty much stops being a singletrack at this point and you do pretty much an endless climb on rather big and loose rocks (not the good kind of rocks)}.
    3. Take Tebolt to Brocker and take Brocker to Hess.
    4. Climb Hess to Skyline Drive.
    5. Turn around and take Hess all the way to the end.
    6. If that's not enough, you can take Whitetail and connect it to Long Run Trail to make a loop back to the car. Honestly, these are the two weakest (and least used) trails and you might be better off skipping them.

When I went, I did the loop counterclockwise, but more people seem to do it the in the clockwise fashion. Trails seem to have relatively equal value in both directions, but we missed out on the Miller Trail descent by going CCW. Good luck. You'll have a blast. Curious to hear your thoughts about it afterwards; especially in relation to other WV trails.
    Last edited by steelhmr; 10-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply.
    We (4 of us) made it up there yesterday. Did the loop as planned. When we were climbing out of Quebec Run on the section that gets pretty steep, I missed the Tebolt trail that turned off to the left. Ended up at the intersection of Tebolt Rd & West Rd. Followed it down to Tebolt trail and we were back on track. We chose to climb Tebolt instead of what you suggested. Everyone in our group would rather do a loop instead of a out and back on Hess trail. I was expecting a worse climb. But it really wasn't that bad. I'm glad we took that route. Besides I'm not sure going up some of those sections on Hess would have been much more enjoyable.

To compare it to "other WV" trails. Is kind of hard. As I find it a mix of a lot of different WV trails. My best comparison would have to be a mix of Coopers Rock & Big Bear Lake with a little bit if Mountwood Park thrown in.

I really enjoyed the decent on Miller Trail. That was pretty sweet! Small parts of Hess trail reminded me of a tame version of dropping off North Fork Mtn trail.

Bottom line....All in all we had fun and I'm surprised how long it took us to ride the 12 miles that we did. Of course we weren't out for a hammer the ride, it was a "fun" ride. Won't make it back this year. But looking forward to hitting it again next summer.

Still can't believe after over 12 years of riding and I'm only an hour from this trail system that this was the 1st time I've ridden there.
    ¡uʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ¡¡¡pəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb View Post
    Bottom line....All in all we had fun and I'm surprised how long it took us to ride the 12 miles that we did.
    Yeah, I had to same experience. Too my misfortune, I started the ride on the Whitetail trail, so imagine riding the loop (in any direction) after a 500' climb "warm-up".

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    We normally do a different route. My buddy swears it's the best way to ride Quebec....I cannot disagree.
    We park at the Mill run lot, by the hoopty camp. We do a clockwise loop starting on Gristmill. Cross the bridge and left onto mill run trail along the creek to Tebolt trail. Take Tebolt to Hess then right onto Brocker. Brocker back to Beginning of Tebolt then Mill Run and left on Rankin. Back to Hess and to parking lot where you do the DH on Miller and mill run back to lot. Doing this route you will miss a short portion of Hess and ride mill run and a short piece of Tebolt twice. Total distance of about 17 miles(feels like 30).

I rode long Run and White tail for the first time last weekend, and it was pretty awesome, though some hellacious climbs. I would recommend a shuttle from the Lick hollow picnic area, as it is a long road ride back to Quebec .