Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Pymatuning State Park Area Trails

[SIZE=3]To all:

Any recommendations on trails in the[/SIZE]

Pymatuning State Park

mtbr member

sorry but i wouldnt

far be it from me to squelch a trail proposal right near my house but...
    1. pymatuning really has no hills or exciting areas around the lake. The land is very flat and is quite marshy. I could see loosing a pint of blood an hour to mosquitoes in the summer.
    2. I live 20 minutes from the lake near mercer pa and would not travel that far to ride there b/c Kennerdell and Moraine state park have some of the best biking in western PA with tons of scenery trail options and vertical gain and loss.
    3. This is my honest opinnion of the area, and i dont have any good secondary solutions for you aside from pymatuning. I currently share duties of trail maintenance at moraine state park and am working on Kennerdell. I am not some random loser shooting down this idea. just curious why you picked that lake for a trail idea? If you have a compelling arguement why a trail should go there i would be all ears in hearing it (b/c it is so stinking close) Also, there are obstacles of private property (cover most of the lake front areas) and the wildlife refuge (covers the other areas) that wont be able to be circumvented.

If this is a state venture i would ask that they money be thrown into an existing trail system to broaden the possibilities (pm me if you are interested in moraine or kennerdell) or taken to another park all together where the money can be put to better use.

I cant believe i just told someone to not put a trail in near me....
    Chance favors the prepared mind

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

defcon4:

Well not what I like to hear, but thanks for the heads up. I'm doing some fishing at the Erie ocean......LOL... with a friend and while I'm there I figured we would hit some trails.
    We are staying at Linesville any recommeneds on places to hit? Please remember it's a fishing trip and mt biking is secondary sad to say.

It was good to make a connection with you and keep me on your list as will do with you on mine. if you ever journey to the NE of Pa I can hook you up with lot's of great places to ride.

Thanks
    LC

mtbr member

wow

i completely misread your first post sorry . i thought you were talking about building a trail nto riding one. well if you are coming west and want to ride i might be able to hook you up with a few spots. each is about 1.5 hrs south of erie (give or take a little) Kennerdell and Moraine state Park. I am not a hammer head rider but i do like descending with tech xc. I hate climbing and ride with flats. if you have that kind of time and want to ride let me know the day you want to go and i will try to make it work. Sorry for the first post i must have been drinking!

mtbr member
    again not reading your posts....

if you are staying in linesville you can be at kennerdell in about 45 minutes or so maybe an hour at the max. Honestly anything around linesville will pale in comparison to Kennerdell and it is definitely worth the drive. Luckly for you i know most of the ins and outs of Kennerdell and Moraine. PM me if you are interested in a ride with the day you want to ride, what rig you are bringing, and the time that is available to you.

Later,
    Dan

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    again not reading your posts....

if you are staying in linesville you can be at kennerdell in about 45 minutes or so maybe an hour at the max. Honestly anything around linesville will pale in comparison to Kennerdell and it is definitely worth the drive. Luckly for you i know most of the ins and outs of Kennerdell and Moraine. PM me if you are interested in a ride with the day you want to ride, what rig you are bringing, and the time that is available to you.

Later,
    Dan
    Dan:

Your correct on the trails at Linesville. I was there this weekend and spoke to the ranger at the park. He said they have the rail bed to ride for a few miles. He did show interest in opening somemore if he had someone to help buld and maintain them.

Thanks for your response and we did alot of fishing but in the furture I will be back I hope sometime we can ride at Kennerdell!

Thanks again...

LC

mtbr member
    Hope the fishing went well. Let me know about a ride sometime in the future i am game. (i have a ride there this weekend i will try to get some pics up) That area (pymatuning) is just too flat to spend all the work of building and maintaining a trail. I have two trail projects as it is and like bikes i am not allowed to have anymore or i have to file for divorce! Later
    Dan

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by defcon4
    Hope the fishing went well. Let me know about a ride sometime in the future i am game. (i have a ride there this weekend i will try to get some pics up) That area (pymatuning) is just too flat to spend all the work of building and maintaining a trail. I have two trail projects as it is and like bikes i am not allowed to have anymore or i have to file for divorce! Later
    Dan
    Dan:

Sounds like you have a full plate! Thanks for the help!

Good Luck Ride on!

LC