Gunga galunga

New question here. Pumping Station Rd trails

Anyone want to throw in their 0.02 on trails in this area?

Second year in a row I'm attending a conference in Hershey, and wisely bringing the RM Blizzard this time. Figured on spending a few hours there Sunday afternoon en route to my hotel. I have the Mtn. Biking Greater Philly book, not totally in the dark, just looking for tips/recommended routes. Thanks!

smartass
    Camp Mack is closed to riding this weekend (4/20-4/22) due to an archery shoot.

You can still ride what's legal in the Gamelands, but the Camp is off limits.

Best bet is to check out Gretna.

Maps here: www.sambabiker.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt

Matt is correct, the Camp is closed this weekend. Check out Swatara on the site, it may be a good alternative, and IMOP is better then Gretna.

Matt

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt

Matt - are you Chris's friend I rode with last saturday? He hasn't gotten back to me about riding tomorrow - Saturday - I'm planning on hitting Gretna.
    Let me know,
    Brad

smartass
    Yes. Replied to your PM.

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LititzDude
    Matt is correct, the Camp is closed this weekend. Check out Swatara on the site, it may be a good alternative, and IMOP is better then Gretna.

Matt

Better meaning what exactly. I was never there but I ride Gretna all the time. I think it has a great mix of climbing, technical singletrack and just all around different terrain to ride. Id like to hear what Swatara is like, cant tell by the SAMBA map.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by siv
    Better meaning what exactly. I was never there but I ride Gretna all the time. I think it has a great mix of climbing, technical singletrack and just all around different terrain to ride. Id like to hear what Swatara is like, cant tell by the SAMBA map.
    Is Swatara better? well thats a matter of personal opinion. Different? YES!

Swatara has about 7 miles of handbuilt narrow singletrack, very curvy swoopy zig-zag non-technical trails (except for a few log hops), smooth trails, no big climbs, just constant little ups and downs and turns with no steep grades. Not a rock garden anywhere. I can ride a rigid singlespeed there and its a blast, were as riding Gretna is for my full-sus geared bike.

In my opinion, its nice to have both places because they are so different and I really like the variety.

btw, I live by Cornwall and would be happy to ride with yoou sometime, I frequent pumping station area and Gretna, and I'm sure I could show you some trails around Gretna that you probably haven't been on before.

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    Is Swatara better? well thats a matter of personal opinion. Different? YES!

Swatara has about 7 miles of handbuilt narrow singletrack, very curvy swoopy zig-zag non-technical trails (except for a few log hops), smooth trails, no big climbs, just constant little ups and downs and turns with no steep grades. Not a rock garden anywhere. I can ride a rigid singlespeed there and its a blast, were as riding Gretna is for my full-sus geared bike.

In my opinion, its nice to have both places because they are so different and I really like the variety.

btw, I live by Cornwall and would be happy to ride with yoou sometime, I frequent pumping station area and Gretna, and I'm sure I could show you some trails around Gretna that you probably haven't been on before.

That would be cool with me considering Ive only been riding for two years and their about to shut down a bunch of Gretna trails. Im usually hesitant to ride with "strangers" because Im afraid my skill level woulnt be up to par with others hence slowing down the ride. Ive only been to pumping station twice, found it a little difficult the first time but have another season under my belt so I think I can handle it. I just joined SAMBA and will be getting a Camp Mack permit when I get a chance to get to Green Mountain. Any thoughts on Rocky Ridge? Looks pretty cool and not to far away from the map Ive seen. Also SAMBA is doing a ride at Michaux this Sunday, I hear thats a real bear, any thoughts?

P.S. I know of you I think through a friend, I may not be able to hang technically.

my church is the woods
    That would be cool with me considering Ive only been riding for two years and their about to shut down a bunch of Gretna trails. Im usually hesitant to ride with "strangers" because Im afraid my skill level woulnt be up to par with others hence slowing down the ride. Ive only been to pumping station twice, found it a little difficult the first time but have another season under my belt so I think I can handle it. I just joined SAMBA and will be getting a Camp Mack permit when I get a chance to get to Green Mountain. Any thoughts on Rocky Ridge? Looks pretty cool and not to far away from the map Ive seen. Also SAMBA is doing a ride at Michaux this Sunday, I hear thats a real bear, any thoughts?

P.S. I know of you I think through a friend, I may not be able to hang technically.

I've never been to rocky ridge but I hear it's similar to Gretna. Usually if I'm going to drive an hour to ride I'll head to Rattling Creek or French Creek, or 1.5 hours to JT or Michaux.

Check you PM's

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Rocky Ridge is a lot like Gretna. The descents are just a bit longer. Def worth checking out if you can make it there.

mtbr member
    That would be cool with me considering Ive only been riding for two years and their about to shut down a bunch of Gretna trails. Im usually hesitant to ride with "strangers" because I'm afraid my skill level woulnt be up to par with others hence slowing down the ride. Ive only been to pumping station twice, found it a little difficult the first time but have another season under my belt so I think I can handle it. I just joined SAMBA and will be getting a Camp Mack permit when I get a chance to get to Green Mountain. Any thoughts on Rocky Ridge? Looks pretty cool and not to far away from the map Ive seen. Also SAMBA is doing a ride at Michaux this Sunday, I hear thats a real bear, any thoughts?

My name is Matt, and I am the SAMBA guy at Mack. I have ridden with a lot of people around the area and almost all of them are faster then I am, and none of them give you a hard time about it. Give me a pm of you e-mail, and we'll get hooked up, as I just may slow you down LOL.

siv
    mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses to the thread I didnt mean to highjack. It looks like I have a bunch of invites and options this weekend. I think I'll play it by ear with the weather and try to get a hold of some of you via PM.

Gunga galunga
    No hijacking worries. I should've posted earlier to link up and ride together. Anyway I ended up riding with my pals at French Creek Sunday. Maybe a group ride can be arranged in the future if we're out that way...or at the Rattling Creek bash. (We hail from Chesco or Montco). Good to meet other riders in the area and ride new dirt.