Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    W.M.A.

Props for your LBS

i didnt see this thread anywhere in here (recently at least)...

anyway - i just picked up my 2nd bike - a Jamis Dakar XC Expert - from LoweRiders in Downingtown, PA.
    http://www.loweridersgobig.com

They have gone over the top in taking care of me...

heres my new ride...

Freshly Fujified

Great Shop!

I just found these guys a month ago while searching for parts a BMX build my son and I are making. The owner was super accomodating and a tremendous help. I picked up a pair of NOS Fly Suelo bars for half price off the clearance table, and hooked up with some decals I needed for the fork.

I went to purchase a saddle last week from the clearance table, but the price was too good to be true. Somebody swapped prices on the thing and I told the guy I didn't have a problem if he couldn't honor the price. He offered a very good price, but I declined, as I had a specific budget to stay within.

All in all, this is a nice, clean shop that has some very good products, especially if you like BMX or skataboarding. I also saw another Jamis Dakar (lower end model with Vanilla R shock) for a great price! I can definitely recommend this shop.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's always nice to hear about good local shops. Your new Jamis looks good too.

I have had really good experience with Gung Ho Bikes, in York, Pa. I broke a derailleur hangar last week and cracked part of an XTR rear derailleur. They replaced the hanger and were able to repair the derailleur by using some parts from a box of used parts. I had them put a new chain on the bike while I was there. After checking and tuning the rest of the bike I was only charged for the chain and hanger without any labor charges. They also offer a good selection of products at competitive prices. The owner and staff are all cycling enthusiasts with a lot of knowledge and experience the are willing to share. Check them out at www.gunghobikes.com

Freshly Fujified

A few more

Beans Bikes in Berwyn is a place that I've done some business with. They did some work on my f/s rig when I did upgrades to the drivetrain and brakes. Good place to go for odds-n-ends you might not find elsewhere, and a nice selection of high ends stems, frames and other components.

I also have had very good experiences with Jeffersonville Bike Shop on Main St. at Egypt Rd in Jeffersonville. This LBS changed hands a few years ago and what used to be a rats nest of new and old bikes and parts has turned into a nice little shop. They sell SE BMX, Fuji and Raleigh (perhaps others??). I've had them do some work on both my f/s and hardtail bikes, and I will have them build up a set of wheels from parts I've purchased off ebay. They really hooked me up big time with a NOS Redline BMX frame and cranks, and as a result I've spend an additional $200 or so there on other components for the build.

Exton Bikes on Rt 30 in the strip mall right next to the Exton Mall is also a good place to do business. I haven't bought a lot from them, but when I had my Giant hardtail, they did a nice job in replacing the shifters without taking me to the cleaners. I had a set of integrated brake/shifter levers, and managed to come up with a creative solution that only required buying a set of shifters. Nice line-up of MTB, BMX and road bikes there.

Just a few of the local shops that I think are worth checking out.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

the unvarnished nonsense

and for western PA...

It's all about Dirty Harry's. Hands down the best bike shop I've ever dealt with.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'll counter that with the goat. i've never been in harry's tho, so i can only say i've never once had a less than pleasant experience with the goat.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Granted Chris at Speedgoat is a heck of a guy. All around good guy. Good shop, too. DH just has more. But yeah, I'm a goat fan, too.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    illadelph's finest (so far for me) is trophy bikes out in university city!

those guys are nice, not trying to sham you into some uberexpensive ride and know their buziness when it somes to singlepseed and fixed gear bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll put in another good word for Andy and Doug at LoweRiders in Downingtown. They've done some work on my bike and my GF's bike. They are super cool guys that know their stuff. They will literally bend over backwards to accomodate you with whatever it is that you need(i've seen it done).

Seriously, if you need some work done or a new ride, this is the place to go. Jamis makes some killer bikes at reasonable prices.

While you're there, you can also chill there and watch the ladies at the bakery.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Local Shops is where it's at... Were blessed in the Lehigh Valley to have a few of them... Two in particular with top notch wrenchs and who really give back to the sports and those who enjoy them are Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown as well as S. Mtn Cycle and Coffee Bar... A definate must see if your in the emmaus area... When these guys aren't fixin bikes or servin us coffee they are out there on there own or running an event to push our sports... Kudos to you guys... Many other shops in the area, these are just two that stand out to me and run a shop as a shop should run !!! Thanks guys for all the help over the years... Bikeline has been there for me as well in the past!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    get your lazy butt up to state college and we at the bicycle shop will take care of you (we'll even let you take care of us, too!) where else can you get that?!?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Some more props for LoweRiders, I'd been frequenting a few shops in the area before checking these guys out and they're just awesome. I'm just mad that I'm moving further away the shop in a month cause I don't want to take my bikes anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Cyclefit of Swarthmore, PA. Greg always gives great advice on parts & setup questions. Have purchased 2 bikes there and been having service work done there for 8 yrs. Can't say enough about them never had an issue that they didn't go above and beyond to resolve.
    http://cyclefitonline.com/map.cfm?StoreID=2

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just found Saucon Valley bikes and so far I can say they're my shop!

I play hard to want
    Competitive Gear in Erie, PA. The only place I'll deal with. When I was shopping for a bike for my girlfriend, they offered to order a particular model and build it up just for a test ride. Every other LBS I shopped at tried to steer me towards what was on the floor. Not to mention, they're a great bunch of guys.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Aye, I wholeheartedly concur. With SVB and SMC you are also supporting riders, not companies. They are shops that support our area as well. There has never been a question that I have asked that they could not answer, and they are always willing to take the time to work with someone to determine their needs for a bike or for parts. That is true whether the customer walks in with a budget for a $200 bike or a $5000 bike.

I've lived in Pittsburgh, Philly, and Allentown. I no longer know much about who is around in Pgh (I miss Heidelberg BMX and Steel City Bikes. And whatever happened to Shadyskates?).

In addition, if they can tolerate Mr. Dirt Devil on a recurring basis, they must also have patience and psychology degrees...

Quote Originally Posted by xxxdirtdevilxxx
    Local Shops is where it's at... Were blessed in the Lehigh Valley to have a few of them... Two in particular with top notch wrenchs and who really give back to the sports and those who enjoy them are Saucon Valley Bikes in Hellertown as well as S. Mtn Cycle and Coffee Bar... A definate must see if your in the emmaus area... When these guys aren't fixin bikes or servin us coffee they are out there on there own or running an event to push our sports... Kudos to you guys... Many other shops in the area, these are just two that stand out to me and run a shop as a shop should run !!! Thanks guys for all the help over the years... Bikeline has been there for me as well in the past!!!

smell my finger
    For those times I need some specialized wrenching, a strong wheel built or some small parts, Alan at Bike Line in Bethlehem Is my first stop. Steve at Saucon Valley Bikes is good too, for those "bigger mountain" parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the guys at Action Wheels in Bethlehem, PA are great!!

mtbr member

Good job! Around Town Bikes in Wilkes Barre...................

is a great local shop. Sponsored rides on Saturday for the roadies, owners ride with the Mtn Bikers on Thursday nights and Sundays, Very good service work(always get it right), Retro Rides, Shop is inviting place to hang out, ATB in WIlkes Barre!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

gls
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Me too for Cyclefit in Swarthmore. I've bought 5 bikes there. Greg is great, awesome deals too. They are riders and have a good attitude. I just wish I lived closer to them.

mtbr member
    Big fan of Indian Valley Bikeworks in Harleysville. Very nice and accomodating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    is a great local shop. Sponsored rides on Saturday for the roadies, owners ride with the Mtn Bikers on Thursday nights and Sundays, Very good service work(always get it right), Retro Rides, Shop is inviting place to hang out, ATB in WIlkes Barre!
    You need to come up with Tom and ride Hubbard on Thursnights! I don't remember names too well. But We already have one or two "Jeff's". C'mon up and ride!
    Do you ski up Elk at all? Fahn

pain don't hurt

Good job! Cycle Fit

Another Cycle Fit fan. Superb service, Greg is the man. Always hooks me up with great prices, and has never steered me wrong when it's time to pick new parts. I only wish they carried more brands (not a Trek fan). Two thumbs up for these guys!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bucks County Bike Company in levittown...used to be a cycle fit until new ownership about a month ago

mtbr member
    I'm in Pit looking for a good shop. So far out of the few I've been to, I've only had a good experience at the gatto in the factory. I've heard great things about Dirty Harry's and need to check them out soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast