mtbr member

Prompton trail conditions

....visiting from out of the area tomorrow......how are the current conditions at Prompton?.....heard about storm damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was at Prompton State park about 2 weeks ago. Trail is nice and cleared, but over grown in parts. So if you are riding in shorts and/or short sleeves, expect to get scratches from thorns. I found two ticks on me afterwards. I was told they need be attached to you for 24 hours before you can get Lime disease. So you should take a shower immediately afterwards to knock any ticks off. One of those Bloodsucking black flies followed me for at least two miles, so a can of deat may be recommended.

Otherwise its a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    same as of Saturday. I had read about a lot of storm damage but this was limited to one area up top and it has been cleared (except for one big tree) due to someones hard work. I definitely got scratched up and heard a lot of "Owe's!" and F's! shouted out from sticker encounters during the ride. I did notice that the trails seemed a little choppier than they were the last time I rode there over a year ago. Great trails!

The hot months are usually the time of the larger ticks-the dog ticks. These often have yellow on them and aren't the ones that carry lyme.However they can carry rocky mtn spotted fever and according to some doctors they can carry lyme too. I noticed they can really lock on to you in less than 24 hours.

The peak time for ticks is usually may-june . The deer ticks can be out when there is snow on the ground as well! I have been doing a lot of trailbuilding and have been observing and pulling ticks off of me at times over the last 5 years. Unfortunately I came down with lyme last year

mtbr member
    May 2005

prompton ivy

besides the ticks, watch out for the poison ivy...(if your allergic) prompton is loaded with it right alongside the trails.... (ivy block) works well... get it at drug stores...

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    There's lot's of Jewel weed there also to calm the itch instantly...

http://www.altnature.com/jewelweed.htm