mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Prompton Ride 8/30/13

Rode Prompton for the first time yesterday morning. Was in the area visiting family at Lake Wallenpaupack and was able to sneak away for a few hours.

I saw the north trailhead has a "closed" sign:

So I parked at the south (main) lot and rode about half the trails on the east and west sides. There were no signs posting the trails closed down there, and I saw a few other cars with empty bike racks, so I hope it was ok to ride from the south lot. Perhaps just the north trailhead is closed?

Anyway - wow, what a trail system! Rocks out the wazoo, and it had rained the night before so many of them were slippery to boot. Was some of the most challenging trail I've ever ridden, and much different from my home trails in Michigan. Very well marked (only got turned around in one spot near Hemlock and Ridge) and generally well maintained. I spent a few days riding Allegrippis at Raystown earlier in the week, and Prompton is about as stark of a contrast as possible from Grippis. Both were super fun, but Prompton was much more challenging and rewarding.

Nice job with the trails! I hope to get back next year to ride the rest of the loops I missed yesterday.

mtbr member
    I've never road this and its really not that far from me..It looks like most of the trails are short so you must have looped around on several trails?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    1st the trails are not closed (even the north end ) its just the bridge is out & that part of the trail is on private land.The land owner is worried someone will get hurt, but he has no say on closing trails at a state park.He can say we can`t use his land , but I won`t get into all of that now.As far as trails go I`am not sure I would call them short, not for this area anyway.Most trails as listed are 1 - 5 miles long & if you know how to ride all the trails on the back side you can get about 20 miles of continuos single track,I don`t know of a lot of places you can do that(with out over laps or crossing roads).And if you ride all the trails up here (going around the lake) you can get almost 30 miles ,you do over lap at the dam & noth end doing it that way.Anyway happy trails from the trail builder

mtbr member
    Thanks KP you answered my question. From the state site it says there are 12 trails totaling 26 miles. I was worried they would be short dead ends that you would have to turn around on. I will have to get out there and check it out. I'm an hour east on RT 6. I read that not many people ride it regularly, do you have a scheduled ride?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    It says "Leave no trace" The Leave no trace sign is littering that sign post!...LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Thanks KP you answered my question. From the state site it says there are 12 trails totaling 26 miles. I was worried they would be short dead ends that you would have to turn around on. I will have to get out there and check it out. I'm an hour east on RT 6. I read that not many people ride it regularly, do you have a scheduled ride?
    No real scheduled rides but I ride most Saturday`s around 12:30-1:00 range after I get out of work. I ride there other day`s too ,but Saturday`s are pretty regular for me.

mtbr member
    I rode there too a couple weeks back had a great time.
    you guys keep it in great shape love the rock work plenty of it and the fat bike ate them up.I plan on returning in a couple of weeks, KP maybe we can ride on a Saturday. give me a tour? counter clockwise from dam is the way I go not sure if that offers the best flow.
    TAKING A BREAK.

TOO BAD ABOUT THE BRIDGE,A CULVERT WOULD WORK BETTER

ANYONE KNOW THE STORY BEHIND THIS MEMORIAL?

A MUSHROOM FROM BOAT LAUNCH

PA.ROCKS!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TORQUE-29er View Post
    I rode there too a couple weeks back had a great time.
    you guys keep it in great shape love the rock work plenty of it and the fat bike ate them up.I plan on returning in a couple of weeks, KP maybe we can ride on a Saturday. give me a tour? counter clockwise from dam is the way I go not sure if that offers the best flow.
    TAKING A BREAK.

TOO BAD ABOUT THE BRIDGE,A CULVERT WOULD WORK BETTER

ANYONE KNOW THE STORY BEHIND THIS MEMORIAL?

A MUSHROOM FROM BOAT LAUNCH

PA.ROCKS!!
    Nice pics!