mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Prompton on an October Saturday?

Is it OK to ride Prompton during hunting season on a Saturday (specifically 10/19/2013)? I've read the rules and regulations on the state park site and checked out friendsofprompton.com, but I am not familiar with the park etiquette and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations. Saturday is the only day we can ride, Sunday is out.

I personally wouldn't think twice about riding Prompton during archery/small game season. I've never had a problem there. As far as etiquette, it's a multi-use Pennsylvania State Park, not a Game Land. The only exception would be during rifle season in December when I would be apt to stay out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That was my assumption, though I'm glad to hear from someone with local knowledge. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Unknowingly I rode there during bear season and ran into some hunters

who were grateful that I was wearing bright color clothing and said they didn't mind me being there as I might help stir up some action
    , regardless I felt weird knowing that they have a short window to bag a bear and I could be getting in the way...or shot!

Wear bright orange or neon yellow and don't blow your nose with a white hanky could be mistaken for a Buck tail. Enjoy your ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone suggest a good route for Promton? Looking to do somewhere in the 20 to 25 mile range.

Prompton on an October Saturday?

Park at the dam or boat launch. Ride the outer-most loop CCW, plus Bone Ridge, skip Blueberry, (unless you feel like adding mileage.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As jonz said do the outer loop ,but you would have to do the new switchback trail (just off the sugarshack trail 1/2 way point) along with blueberry & cliff trail to get 20 miles.Then if you went around again on the inter trail (red ,east & west shore trail ) you can get another 8 1/2 - 9 miles in ,pretty long ride.I don`t know how it is with the leaves coming down,might be hard to follow some trails if you don`t know the trails.I`am going to leave blow the trails but not till all the leaves are down.I might be riding there this saturday afternoon ,working in the am,happy trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Will be there Saturday I would guess some time late morning or around noon in a group of 2-3 guys. We'll keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Trails were great. Really fun ride on Saturday. Great job building and maintaining them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Agreed, we had a great time there. Thanks for the recommendations. We went CCW and hit about as much as we could stand.

Prompton_Route_2013-10-19

P1020670

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode around the lake on Monday and it was great! KP snowman did a great job clearing some leaves and there weren't many other people out there. I saw a lot of deer, but no hunters!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks the trails are in great shape, but I`m not the only one clearing & taking care of the trails .My buddy has been helping out a lot, matter of fact if it wasn`t for him there would be no way I could keep up with all that needs to be done by myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I gotta say I was skeptical about leaf blowing the trails as I am used to leaf covered trails. But those trails were awesome having had the leaves blown off them. And those really rocky sections, which was most of the park seemingly, would have been much much tougher covered in leaves.