mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Prompton Map? Best weapon?

Hello Everyone....

I'm going to be camping at Keen Lake in a few weeks and a quick perusal of the area for mountain biking yielded Prompton.

I've been searching for a trail map online and thus far have come up with zippo. Is there a trail map somewhere online y'all could point me to?

I've also been reading some of the threads here regarding the clobbering the park took from the storm. Which trails should be avoided? I'll be up there the week of July 12th...

I imagine my 9 y.o. will want to go riding with me a time or two; any kid friendly trails up there?

I'm thinking of bringing my SS/29er. The SS thing is new to me; 'would that be a crazy thing to do there given my limited SS time? Or, should I just bring my 5-spot? I guess I'm hoping that I hear "The SS will be fine" as I'm apprehensive about leaving the Spot sitting around a campground (locked up or not!) What SS gearing is generally appropriate for Prompton?

Let's see...umm...any other good riding nearby?

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards.
    Tim

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Tim:

Do a serch here on MTBR there was a map floating around. The general trail circles the lake about a 12 mile ride. For yor 9 year old it would be ride out and head back a some point unless your 9 year old is used to a 12 mile singletrack ride. It is fairly technical.

The trail network is on the other side of the lake as the side bordered by RT 170 it's just a linear trail. You could make a loop by riding from the boat launch either way and using RT 170 as a loop back connector. But, again riding the paved road with a 9 year old is your decision. It's not heavily traveled but high speeds to exist due to it being a straightaway.

You might wanna head to Lackawanna State Park. More user family friendly.
    There's always the D&H/O&W rail trail in Simpson for the family.

Found it:
    http://www.nesportsltd.com/images/maps/Prompton_Map.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Thanks!

Awesome. I'll check out the other parks as well. My 9 y.o. hasn't quite graduated to technical single track yet (sometimes I feel like I should avoid it!)....though Prompton looks like a great run for "daddy only" rides.

It looks like I could just mount up at Keen Lake camp ground (sans kid) and ride 6 and 170 there. Though I don't see it on a regular map, the park map looks like it has a way to hit the trail system off 170 down near the damn. True?

Thanks again for the info.
    Regards.
    Tim

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Tim:

The park is located on RT 170