mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ... Prompton Dam trail attn: Larry (or others?)

Re: Prompton Dam
    I had saved a thread from last year involving Prompton Dam (included a map and trail info). It was mentioned that some people recommend staying away from the trail # 3 (East Shore Trail - Red) which (from the map) appears to follow the lake. Why do some people stay away from it? Are there any dangers to be aware of? My gf and I had planned to hit the Moon but then were considering going to Prompton instead. Would try LSP but we are assuming that it will be mudville this time of year. Speaking of mud, how are Prompton Trails this time of year? We know the Moon drains incredibly well but was trying to make a shorter trip of it. Thanks everyone!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Prompton east shore trail

I've ridden it a million times and never had any issues. There will be some water with the rain and all so be prepared to dismount a couple times but that's it. For the most part it drains well but it's been the rainiest march ever so be prepared. There are a couple small stream crossings but that's part of the fun. I find this time of year to be some of the best riding there because the pricker bushes and undergrowth is minimal. It's supposed to be beautiful by the end of the week which will allow things to dry up a little. good luck.

Wizard of the Trail
    I haven't ridden that trail in 2 years, but the red trail is typically wet and muddy. I am not sure that is why one would say to keep off. There was flooding last year I think, so there maybe other reasons.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    Re: Prompton Dam
    I had saved a thread from last year involving Prompton Dam (included a map and trail info). It was mentioned that some people recommend staying away from the trail # 3 (East Shore Trail - Red) which (from the map) appears to follow the lake. Why do some people stay away from it? Are there any dangers to be aware of? My gf and I had planned to hit the Moon but then were considering going to Prompton instead. Would try LSP but we are assuming that it will be mudville this time of year. Speaking of mud, how are Prompton Trails this time of year? We know the Moon drains incredibly well but was trying to make a shorter trip of it. Thanks everyone!!!
    This comes from the guy who made these trails .Yes it is real wet up here right now .The east shore trail(red on the back side) is muddy in spots & you`ll put BIG RUTS in the trail if ya ride this time of year,I recommend mid april after the plant life starts growing & sucking up the water.I know the picker grow too , but I have been trying to keep ahead of that with help from others as well( ya want to help? ).The 170 side trails west side is wet in spots too.I would say if ya must ride go across the dam up the yellow trail to the right & stay high all the way to the north end.(watch the crosstrail that will be real muddy) drop down sidewinder & ride the white trail on the 170 side to boat landing then road back from there,if things are too muddy don`t ride hope this helps thanks KP

Wizard of the Trail
    KP, I met you last year doing trail work with LarryF. How have ya been?

mtbr member
    Kevin said what I had said in the past. Cross the dam and at the first intersection make a right and follow the Yellow trail. Avoid the Red. Ttyl, Fahn

Ps. KP is the trailmaster of Prompton!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    KP, I met you last year doing trail work with LarryF. How have ya been?
    Hey man things been good I checked the trails today,boy are things real wet up here.I don`t know how they are elsewhere but i would tell people to stay off for awhile.I`ll have to show you guys my new toy a fatback snowbike this thing goes in snow & wet trails like nothing you have ever seen.The tire size is 26 '' by 4'' high volume low psi about 5 to 10 psi & will roll over just about anything,no shocks either.The thing makes a reg mtbike look like a roadbike If ya never seen one before check them out on the forum under fatbikes lots of pics & vids of riding in snow & sand beaches,if ya ride one you`ll be hooked I was.hope we will be riding dry trails soon,later KP

Wizard of the Trail
    I have been looking at those fatbikes for winter riding in light snow. Did you buy the bike complete or was it a build? They really look fun. As far as the trails, most places are wet. I rode LSP two weeks ago, which was a mistake for sure. We didn't stay long and rode the high sections to keep away from the mud. Like you said, big ruts will be left riding in the muck. I will definitely have to ride prompton this year. I didn't ride it at all last year. BTW, just post up if you need help grooming the trails. I am always willing to lend a hand. Last year LarryFahn and I were up there, like I mentioned earlier, and it was like a jungle. Too much rain last year. Like you said, its easier to build a trail than to maintain it. Catch ya later.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    I have been looking at those fatbikes for winter riding in light snow. Did you buy the bike complete or was it a build? They really look fun. As far as the trails, most places are wet. I rode LSP two weeks ago, which was a mistake for sure. We didn't stay long and rode the high sections to keep away from the mud. Like you said, big ruts will be left riding in the muck. I will definitely have to ride prompton this year. I didn't ride it at all last year. BTW, just post up if you need help grooming the trails. I am always willing to lend a hand. Last year LarryFahn and I were up there, like I mentioned earlier, and it was like a jungle. Too much rain last year. Like you said, its easier to build a trail than to maintain it. Catch ya later.
    I bought the frame & wheelset tires tubes off of speedway cycles and put parts that I wanted on it, but you can get it complete from them too.The kool thing is if we get a lot of snow & snowmobile run on it ya can ride rite up on their track even after only one pass its so kool .My buddy & I were riding up at Elk MT last Friday on the trails(they were still open)we were going so fsat on the down hill we passed some skiers We foundout after they weren`t too happy with us ho well we had fun Like I said let me know when you`re around sometime & I`ll show you it & give any info ya may need.later KP

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by KP snowman
    I bought the frame & wheelset tires tubes off of speedway cycles and put parts that I wanted on it, but you can get it complete from them too.The kool thing is if we get a lot of snow & snowmobile run on it ya can ride rite up on their track even after only one pass its so kool .My buddy & I were riding up at Elk MT last Friday on the trails(they were still open)we were going so fsat on the down hill we passed some skiers We foundout after they weren`t too happy with us ho well we had fun Like I said let me know when you`re around sometime & I`ll show you it & give any info ya may need.later KP
    Sweet!!! Next time I plan on coming up that way, I will let you know. TTYL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Late reply but wanted to send out a thanks to all...

we went with the safe choice and went to the Moon on Friday. Great conditions, very few wet areas. Will check out Prompton later in the season (course we said that last year as well) after it has had a chance to dry out. Regarding pickers, yes, very willing to declare war on pickers (trail maintenance) Just post a date/time a week or two ahead of time. Thanks again,