'Tis but a scratch

Promised Land, Delaware State Forest???

Hello Northeast PA riders. I am looking for some good riding out route 84 from Port Jervis. I have been doing some internet searches and not really finding good quality intelligence on best riding in that area. I have read the 1 review on MTBR about Promised Land State Park which suggests that better riding maybe found at Delaware State Forest - no reviews. So, I'm seeking your advice and recommendations.

Ideally, I'd like lots of XC single-track. I don't mind doing some climbing. Rocks, roots, smooth, don't care. I may be solo, so something reasonably well marked would be desirable. A map is a huge plus too.

Thanks in advance!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    How about over the boarder "New Jersey" "Highpoint SP" or up 209 "Minewaska" "Stewart" out RT 84 Middletown NY

A little bit of traveling if that's OK wit ya!

'Tis but a scratch
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    How about over the boarder "New Jersey" "Highpoint SP" or up 209 "Minewaska" "Stewart" out RT 84 Middletown NY

A little bit of traveling if that's OK wit ya!
    Actually all these represent less travel. I live in southern NY. I ride "Stewart" all the time and quite enjoy it.

I've done a bunch of carriageways in Minnewaska with my kids and their friends in the past. That's a little tame for what I was looking for. With all the woods in that area I imagine there is more technical riding, but I just can't seem to find any intelligence. I'll keep digging.

I'll have to dig into High Point a little more and see what I find.

So, no good on Promised Land or Delaware State Forest?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've heard mixed reviews on Promised Land. Some say it's great, others say it's not worth the trip if it's in your back yard. In the Delaware State Forest, I believe the Blooming Grove 4-H trail is open to mountain biking but I'm not 100% sure. I read somewhere that it's a fun ride, but can't find the review here at work. Maybe I'll be able to find it from home later.

I live across the river in Dingmans Ferry, so I'd be willing to explore either with you some time if you want; although I'll be away for the next week.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ok glad to hear you hit the favs...

...how about Big Pocono SP, Dixon Miller(a bit tame) Brady's Lake, Gouldsboro/Tobyhanna SPs

I'd drive a little further and hit Moosic Mt or Prompton. Both are top notch. IIRC, mt biking is not permitted within Promised Land SP unless something has changed.
    Prompton
    Moosic (slightly outdated)

'Tis but a scratch
    All good stuff! Thanks. +rep to all who have responded.

Drive times are approaching 2 hours on some. I think I'm gonna hit Lippman Park in Warwarsing, NY next week, but I'll be keeping these others in mind when I have to travel further into PA for work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    huffster as jonz mtbiking is not permitted there,but there is over 25+ miles of some real sweet single track there to hike.I`am not saying to ride there anyway ,just saying.I know a few years ago I had some meeting with the landmanager at the time about mtbiking there,even had IMBA & other park manager who allow mtbiking at their parks but nothing ever came of it.I know the new manager who is there now & he`s ok with mtbiking ,but someone else needs to get the ball rolling again.I have way too much stuff going on now & I have enough to do just trying to maintain Prompton (my home park) but there is alot of real good places around here to ride. KP

smell my finger
    Here's the low-down -- legal trail riding in both Promised land and adjacent Delaware state forest resides west of route 390. Trail map here: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd2/...cnr_003250.pdf. Pick-up this map at the park office located on 390, the legal trails are clearly marked. A-lot of these trails are "double-track" and old logging roads in the state forest, there is also some technical single track too maybe 60% double, 40% single. I would recommend parking in the Klienhans trail lot off of 390 and riding/exploring there. I've been riding there for 20 yerars and hunting the same woods for 25, I know the place....

Riding is tame by some's standards, but there are some single track gems and the woods are beautiful. Recommend cross-cut trail to bear wallow to lower lake trail check out the millbrook trails, can do a sort of out and back lollypop. the Kleinhans trail loop is a nice work-out but short. could probably make around 10 miles and an afternoon out of the place.

As others have said, the other half of the park is hiking only -- these are, of-course, the best ones

It's worth checking out.

'Tis but a scratch
    I'm not sure where the break in your link was, but it wouldn't work. I managed to get there though by playing around. Hopefully this link works for others if they need it:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/ucmprd1/...cnr_003250.pdf

Great advice. Appreciate the link and the ride recommendation. May not get there real soon, but now I'm ready!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joemamad View Post
    Here's the low-down -- legal trail riding in both Promised land and adjacent Delaware state forest resides west of route 390. Trail map here: http://forums.mtbr.com/pennsylvania/...cnr_003250.pdf. Pick-up this map at the park office located on 390, the legal trails are clearly marked. A-lot of these trails are "double-track" and old logging roads in the state forest, there is also some technical single track too maybe 60% double, 40% single. I would recommend parking in the Klienhans trail lot off of 390 and riding/exploring there. I've been riding there for 20 yerars and hunting the same woods for 25, I know the place....

Riding is tame by some's standards, but there are some single track gems and the woods are beautiful. Recommend cross-cut trail to bear wallow to lower lake trail check out the millbrook trails, can do a sort of out and back lollypop. the Kleinhans trail loop is a nice work-out but short. could probably make around 10 miles and an afternoon out of the place.

As others have said, the other half of the park is hiking only -- these are, of-course, the best ones

It's worth checking out.
    Do you have any current info on Promisedland? I rode there a few years back and I rode down by the bearwallow.. Ok found the link below your post.. But any current info would be appreciated.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

smell my finger
    Been riding there all summer, and just was there this weekend. Things never change up here..... Trails are clear and passable no new terrain has been added to "legal" riding trail designations.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Do you have any current info on Promisedland? I rode there a few years back and I rode down by the bearwallow.. Ok found the link below your post.. But any current info would be appreciated.
    If you haven't ridden there in a few years it might look a little different to you. Within the past 3-4 years they ruined a lot of the forest and trails with logging and their trucks. I was up there in July and I wasn't even sure where I was for a second and I started riding those trails in the early 90s so it's not like I was lost.
    There used to be some super sweet single track, especially on Greentown side of the trails (sawmill rd trail head).

Unless there are hidden trails I did not see last time I was there, there is not any real "single track" except for a over grown trail along the swamp.

I never ride the illegal side but did when I was younger.

Joemamad- Which trails have you been riding ? I saw some tracks going through the wet spots on the lower lake trail but didn't seem like much activity besides that.

smell my finger
    Usually been hitting Bear Wallow, Cross cut, Kleinhan's loop to stretch the legs and put an eye on the hunting grounds. Out to the Lower Lake boat launch. Haven't been down to Millbrook trails or L. Lake trail or Sawmill Rd area in a while.

mtbr member
    Its been years since I was back in there.. I remember a trail that came around the corner of one of those large deer fences they put up to keep the deer from browsing on the trees. Do you know what area that is?
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Its been years since I was back in there.. I remember a trail that came around the corner of one of those large deer fences they put up to keep the deer from browsing on the trees. Do you know what area that is?
    Unfortunately, there are dear fences everywhere now. was it a wide trail or single track?
    I wish there was video or pics at least of how awesome those trails used to be.
    Last edited by xgjokax; 09-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly it turned into a wide trail at the corner..

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    camping at promised land this weekend--this thread has been really helpful. quick question: if mostly double-track, cx bike or mtb?

smell my finger
    I would ride a mtb, pretty large stones at times, leaf litter hides a lot, trails are not really gravel paths, more like logging roads, some very old, some very new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    that's sorted then--mtb it is. thank you kindly, sir.