Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Project Poconos

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trails in the Poconos

I am new to the forums and want to contribute. I don't see any trail information for my area so I will post the trails I ride.

Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA

View the Map

The trails here will excite you and punish you..

Double Track - Single Track - White Knuckle 100ft drops.(Not for me)
    I took 2 trips to the top and I believe I may have mapped out 1/4 of what's here.

Not for beginners!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buzzards Point - Jim Thorpe PA

View the Map

Dirt road till you get to the 2nd parking lot, then double track to the point.
    Bring your camera and enough energy to climb back.

Most of the time a closed gate will prevent you from parking in lot 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drakes Creek - Jim Thorpe PA

View the Map

Drakes Creek is not a trail but a dirt road that follows the creek to the Lehigh River.
    Good for beginners with extra energy.

You cat park at the top 7mi, or lower for a 3 mi ride.

dirt road starts at parking lot 2.

Mt. Pisgah Loop - Jim Thorpe PA

Ride from Mauch Chunk Lake Park to Mt Pisgah, Down a rocky road of death to Jim Thorpe and up the Switch Back Gravity Railroad to get back to the park.

The decent in to Jim Thorpe is a bit tricky due to the condition of the road. The road is mostly made of football and baseball sized loose rocks, Fun ride if you can hang on.

View the Map

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weiser Forest (The Back Yard) - Jim Thorpe PA

This is my backyard. It is a loop that is 5.9 miles and some single track / double track mixed in. the elevation is small and the single track is twisty but fun and easy.

This is a good place for beginners who want to try single track fro the first time.

There are many fire roads and power lines that branch off from this area.

View the Map

Last edited by ltfubar; 07-28-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: New Info

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

ltfubar:

Subscribed...

...Glen has been a fav of mine for many years!

Thanks for sharing...

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden buzzards point in a long time. I believe if you time this correctly you can see the sun set twice on one ride. Ltfubar, where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I live in Jim Thorpe, about 5 minutes from the parking lot at Buzzards Point.

mtbr member
    Hazleton here. Ride JT area trails weekly.

mtbr member
    Nice job! Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow I have been searching everywhere for Poconos trails. I live down near West Chester and I want to find more downhill riding. Thanks for this info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have about 10 places I want to map out, check back for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Subscribed.
    Thank you for the information.

David

eci
    Hey Fubar, let me know when your hitting some rides. im in the area and down for some exercise

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Hey Fubar, let me know when your hitting some rides. im in the area and down for some exercise
    Sure Thing... Exercise is good, I am a bit on the heavy / slow side, just a warning.

I am camping at Machunk Lake Park this week so I will atempt to map out the switchback trail, Mt Pisgah, fireline trail and the one around the lake.

I found some 4 wheeler trails on top the mountain, hopfully i will have time to explore them.

Anyone out there want to give me a tour of Broad Mountain?

I have heard of the Broad Mountain Loop, Deer Path, American Standard, Uranium Road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfubar View Post
    Sure Thing... Exercise is good, I am a bit on the heavy / slow side, just a warning.

I am camping at Machunk Lake Park this week so I will atempt to map out the switchback trail, Mt Pisgah, fireline trail and the one around the lake.

I found some 4 wheeler trails on top the mountain, hopfully i will have time to explore them.

Anyone out there want to give me a tour of Broad Mountain?

I have heard of the Broad Mountain Loop, Deer Path, American Standard, Uranium Road.
    Four wheeler trails sound like what might be known as "green blaze" try climbing up lung buster to get there. I PMd you, these are some of the trails we ride weekly on Tuesday nights. We typically don't announce them as group rides since at times we can be unreliable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

project poconos

Deer path on the broad is a bit iffy. Technically it is illegal to ride it. Same goes for the American Standard. Closed by our friends the dcnr. I know they are still being ridden but watch for snakes on both. The loop is a bit over 13 miles and basically a figure 8 ride. A couple of stream crossings but basically fire roads. Depending on which way you go there are a few good climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If anyone wants GPS data let me know.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Riding up the Wagon Road in JT...

...is pretty difficult, hips to the handlebars and crank, and at the top before the right turn, the ledges are just brutal just ask Tony. I showed him this for the first time this year and he vowed to come backand climb it all the way to the top non stop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Poconos-jim-thorpe-4-7-12-013_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good Info...I live in Jim Thorpe. I've done most of these, but have not heard of Glen Park. Thanks
    I just read about the Coal Cracker Race in Tamaqua. Has any body gone there? The trails start by the city's Howard D. Buehler Pool, on Catawissa St. Tamaqua, PA

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Riding up the Wagon Road in JT...

.... climb it all the way to the top non stop!

Down is more my style I am too big to be climbing up that hill. looking to drop 50-60 lbs, then maybe I will try going up.

You are like superman.... then again I saw athe topo of moon lake and that must get you in good shape.
    Last edited by ltfubar; 07-27-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Drunk on morning dew

mtbr member
    bdub is the man up there in tamaqua, i'm sure he'd be down with giving you a tour of the bungalow
    without hops the world stops

trail addict
    I am new to the forums and want to contribute. I don't see any trail information for my area so I will post the trails I ride.

This is Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA
    Awesome. I've heard good things about glen park but never made it out there.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bladdo View Post
    Good Info...I live in Jim Thorpe. I've done most of these, but have not heard of Glen Park. Thanks
    I just read about the Coal Cracker Race in Tamaqua. Has any body gone there? The trails start by the city's Howard D. Buehler Pool, on Catawissa St. Tamaqua, PA
    I have done the race many times! You should try it, lots of great people and fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just posted a new map (See Post 1) this is my back yard so come and visit.
    This is map # 5 so I am half way to my goal of 10 maps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had some people ask about the Weiser map and if bikes where really allowed on the trails.

This is a scan of a map you can find at the main parking lot.

Complete with names for the trails, if you're in to that sort of thing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info, great maps.

mtbr member
    Awesome post!!!

trail addict
    Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA
    Can you give any indication for where the more freeride oriented trails are in glen park? Or do you know of any other maps online with more detail?

THANKS!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast