Thread: Project Poconos

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trails in the Poconos

I am new to the forums and want to contribute. I don't see any trail information for my area so I will post the trails I ride.

Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA

View the Map

The trails here will excite you and punish you..

Double Track - Single Track - White Knuckle 100ft drops.(Not for me)
    I took 2 trips to the top and I believe I may have mapped out 1/4 of what's here.

Not for beginners!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buzzards Point - Jim Thorpe PA

View the Map

Dirt road till you get to the 2nd parking lot, then double track to the point.
    Bring your camera and enough energy to climb back.

Most of the time a closed gate will prevent you from parking in lot 2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drakes Creek - Jim Thorpe PA

View the Map

Drakes Creek is not a trail but a dirt road that follows the creek to the Lehigh River.
    Good for beginners with extra energy.

You cat park at the top 7mi, or lower for a 3 mi ride.

dirt road starts at parking lot 2.

Mt. Pisgah Loop - Jim Thorpe PA

Ride from Mauch Chunk Lake Park to Mt Pisgah, Down a rocky road of death to Jim Thorpe and up the Switch Back Gravity Railroad to get back to the park.

The decent in to Jim Thorpe is a bit tricky due to the condition of the road. The road is mostly made of football and baseball sized loose rocks, Fun ride if you can hang on.

View the Map

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weiser Forest (The Back Yard) - Jim Thorpe PA

This is my backyard. It is a loop that is 5.9 miles and some single track / double track mixed in. the elevation is small and the single track is twisty but fun and easy.

This is a good place for beginners who want to try single track fro the first time.

There are many fire roads and power lines that branch off from this area.

View the Map

Last edited by ltfubar; 07-28-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: New Info

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

ltfubar:

Subscribed...

...Glen has been a fav of mine for many years!

Thanks for sharing...

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden buzzards point in a long time. I believe if you time this correctly you can see the sun set twice on one ride. Ltfubar, where do you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I live in Jim Thorpe, about 5 minutes from the parking lot at Buzzards Point.

mtbr member
    Hazleton here. Ride JT area trails weekly.

mtbr member
    Nice job! Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Wow I have been searching everywhere for Poconos trails. I live down near West Chester and I want to find more downhill riding. Thanks for this info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have about 10 places I want to map out, check back for more info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Subscribed.
    Thank you for the information.

David

eci
    Hey Fubar, let me know when your hitting some rides. im in the area and down for some exercise

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Hey Fubar, let me know when your hitting some rides. im in the area and down for some exercise
    Sure Thing... Exercise is good, I am a bit on the heavy / slow side, just a warning.

I am camping at Machunk Lake Park this week so I will atempt to map out the switchback trail, Mt Pisgah, fireline trail and the one around the lake.

I found some 4 wheeler trails on top the mountain, hopfully i will have time to explore them.

Anyone out there want to give me a tour of Broad Mountain?

I have heard of the Broad Mountain Loop, Deer Path, American Standard, Uranium Road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ltfubar View Post
    Sure Thing... Exercise is good, I am a bit on the heavy / slow side, just a warning.

I am camping at Machunk Lake Park this week so I will atempt to map out the switchback trail, Mt Pisgah, fireline trail and the one around the lake.

I found some 4 wheeler trails on top the mountain, hopfully i will have time to explore them.

Anyone out there want to give me a tour of Broad Mountain?

I have heard of the Broad Mountain Loop, Deer Path, American Standard, Uranium Road.
    Four wheeler trails sound like what might be known as "green blaze" try climbing up lung buster to get there. I PMd you, these are some of the trails we ride weekly on Tuesday nights. We typically don't announce them as group rides since at times we can be unreliable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

project poconos

Deer path on the broad is a bit iffy. Technically it is illegal to ride it. Same goes for the American Standard. Closed by our friends the dcnr. I know they are still being ridden but watch for snakes on both. The loop is a bit over 13 miles and basically a figure 8 ride. A couple of stream crossings but basically fire roads. Depending on which way you go there are a few good climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If anyone wants GPS data let me know.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Riding up the Wagon Road in JT...

...is pretty difficult, hips to the handlebars and crank, and at the top before the right turn, the ledges are just brutal just ask Tony. I showed him this for the first time this year and he vowed to come backand climb it all the way to the top non stop!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project Poconos-jim-thorpe-4-7-12-013_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good Info...I live in Jim Thorpe. I've done most of these, but have not heard of Glen Park. Thanks
    I just read about the Coal Cracker Race in Tamaqua. Has any body gone there? The trails start by the city's Howard D. Buehler Pool, on Catawissa St. Tamaqua, PA

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Riding up the Wagon Road in JT...

.... climb it all the way to the top non stop!

Down is more my style I am too big to be climbing up that hill. looking to drop 50-60 lbs, then maybe I will try going up.

You are like superman.... then again I saw athe topo of moon lake and that must get you in good shape.
    Last edited by ltfubar; 07-27-2012 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Drunk on morning dew

mtbr member
    bdub is the man up there in tamaqua, i'm sure he'd be down with giving you a tour of the bungalow
    without hops the world stops

trail addict
    I am new to the forums and want to contribute. I don't see any trail information for my area so I will post the trails I ride.

This is Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA
    Awesome. I've heard good things about glen park but never made it out there.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bladdo View Post
    Good Info...I live in Jim Thorpe. I've done most of these, but have not heard of Glen Park. Thanks
    I just read about the Coal Cracker Race in Tamaqua. Has any body gone there? The trails start by the city's Howard D. Buehler Pool, on Catawissa St. Tamaqua, PA
    I have done the race many times! You should try it, lots of great people and fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just posted a new map (See Post 1) this is my back yard so come and visit.
    This is map # 5 so I am half way to my goal of 10 maps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had some people ask about the Weiser map and if bikes where really allowed on the trails.

This is a scan of a map you can find at the main parking lot.

Complete with names for the trails, if you're in to that sort of thing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the info, great maps.

mtbr member
    Awesome post!!!

trail addict
    Glen Park - Stroudsburg, PA
    Can you give any indication for where the more freeride oriented trails are in glen park? Or do you know of any other maps online with more detail?

THANKS!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No maps anywhere that I found, that is the reason for this posting in the first place.

Now, I do know that I have only mapped out 1/4 of the park. I know if you take 611 up to Godfrey Ridge Road and follow it to the end as I do, but make a left instead of a right you can find some steep trails with jumps and good stuff. it's a bit to short and steep for my liking but it may be your cup of tea.

Glen Park is a real true mix of trails.

trail addict
    No maps anywhere that I found, that is the reason for this posting in the first place.

Now, I do know that I have only mapped out 1/4 of the park. I know if you take 611 up to Godfrey Ridge Road and follow it to the end as I do, but make a left instead of a right you can find some steep trails with jumps and good stuff. it's a bit to short and steep for my liking but it may be your cup of tea.

Glen Park is a real true mix of trails.
    Awesome, that is just what I was expecting (based on a whole bunch of different sketchy things I've tried to wrap my head around).

As for the rest of your ride there, it looks like most of the elevation gain is getting to the top (end of Godfrey RR)? And most elevation lost is way up at the NE end? Then a pretty flat ride back to the parking area?

Just curious what I am in for if I do more exploring out the way you went...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just found this rough map of Glen Park, probably old...Glen Park

At the end of the road if you turn right and go up. you can get to the good stuff. Probably another 100ft up. It's down and back up between the to mt tops.

at the bottom your below the parking area and some of the old flat path is washed out so you will have to climb and descend just a bit.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    I'm heading up to JT this weekend to kayak with a bunch of friends, and we were thinking of squeezing in a good ride on Saturday afternoon. Is there anything as good as Glen, or better, that is a little closer to JT?

We really enjoy XC race-quality single track loops, rather than doubles and fire roads, but I haven't been able to find anything like that (online) that is closer to JT.

Worst case, we're going to ride a local loop in VA on Saturday morning before heading North and camping at Mauch Chunk Lake , but I'd much rather explore something new and more scenic!

Any help or hints would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by paleh0rse; 08-15-2012 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is where I am headed with my GPS next.

On the right is the Broad Mt Loop. Fire road
    On the left of 93 is supposed to be the american standard single track.
    I have not mapped it out myself so I would call it a hint.
    Last edited by ltfubar; 08-15-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: oops

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    there was a post a bit ago about group rides at glen park; they could probably help you figure out what's there to ride

Sunday Morning Rides at Glen Park

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info and map! If we can't figure anything out, we may go with Plan C and ride at Swatara or Rattler near Harrisburg on our way up to JT... still brainstorming ideas. Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It was run by these guys in town verticalearthinc.com
    I showed up on a Sunday no other bikers in sight. I stopped by the shop, they do not have a map or ant other resources. the website says trail info coming soon.

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    I'm heading up to JT this weekend to kayak with a bunch of friends, and we were thinking of squeezing in a good ride on Saturday afternoon. Is there anything as good as Glen, or better, that is a little closer to JT?
    Maps « Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition

There is another site that has some good JT maps, but I can't find it right now.

I haven't done much riding there so I can't comment much. BUT I will say there was a certain trail that ate two derailleurs on my only two rides there. Ride at your own risk (haha).

that guy
    Jun 2011
    LOL! Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I have a group coming in from Johnstown, Friday Night, we're riding Mary D Friday, and the American Standard on Saturday.

Did you ever have ham?

Project Poconos

WOW!!! Buzzard's Point....back in the day my two step-brothers and I used to ride dirt bikes through the game lands!!! We used to live back behind Bear Creek Dairy and there was a trail that led from the back of our development into the game lands. I was trying to find that, but it must be grown in or I just missed it. Next thing I know, nothing looks familiar and I could hear the river. I had no lights and it was getting dark so I figured I should turn back.

Is Weiser near Towamensing trails?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bear Creek Land Owners Association ?

There are many cool trails near Buzzards Point, unfortunately private property so I don't post them up.

15 years ago I use to ride quads up around there. You can get almost to the river on one of them and there is a nice waterfall tucked away too.

Every other tree has a sign on it now.

The yellow trail at the north most point is Towamensing Trails

If you want info on the private trails message me.

Did you ever have ham?
    My step-father was the one that got the land owner's association going and he is also the one that got the big round sign as you enter the development...didn't last long though, nobody wanted to pay the dues...but they were the first ones to complain about potholes and snow removal...go figure!!! I live in Swoyersville now and don't really get over that way too much but will have to make it a point to now!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Broad Mountain Area

I have to post this new map down here on page 2 because I can't edit my first post for some reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Broad Mt Area - Nesquehoning, PA

Some call this trail / area American Standard, however until I find the landmark commode I will refer to it as the Broad Mountain Area.

First off, let me say what a maze this area is. My first time up at Broad Mountain I could not imagine getting around without my GPS. I used a map I had found on-line to get into the general area of American Standard. The single track here is some of the best I have seen yet. I found 4 technical single track trails connected by fire roads and double track trails. Seems about 4 double track trails Tic-Tac-Toe this area and provide as connectors to the single track. Also the single track trails usually meet up with the double tack at 90 degree angle, this makes them hard to spot if you're racing passed.

Note: The trail head is hard to find. Park in the lot, cross the street, turn the corner on the dirt road (Fire Tower Road) 20ft look to your right.

If anyone has more information on this trail please post it up.

View Map

I quit e-MTBR

Some call this trail / area American Standard, however until I find the landmark commode I will refer to it as the Broad Mountain Area.
    The commode (a urinal bolted to a tree, actually) still is there. And it's along the flowiest section of singletrack I've found back there (which isn't saying much, "flowy" is not the strength of that trail), so worth searching for it.

First off, let me say what a maze this area is. My first time up at Broad Mountain I could not imagine getting around without my GPS. I used a map I had found on-line to get into the general area of American Standard. . . . Also the single track trails usually meet up with the double tack at 90 degree angle, this makes them hard to spot if you're racing passed.
    Totally agree. First time I went there, I had the trail downloaded into my smartphone (by googling) so I could follow it while I rode, and even with that it was not easy to follow. If all you had was guidebook map or a written description, it'd be hopeless. The trails are fairly clear and open, they're just hard to find.

trail addict
    Were you riding clockwise or CCW? Either way, it looks like you missed a turn. On the far west side of your map, I believe there is either a right or a left that you missed (obviously depends on your direction) that would have looped you around the best part of the trail (and past the urinal). If memory serves me, it is a place where you are on double-track and have to watch for a single-track.

Does anyone ever access the AS by way of rt 54/access road to Broad Lake Reservoir?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Have been up behind Lake Hauto a few times, Nature Conservancy property...

..overlooking Bear Creek reservoir, and have come in from Still Creek also off Rt 309

Speaking of lake Hauto and the closed in tunnel there was talk years back of opening the tunnel and running trail out to Tamaqua, but I guess the coal company nix that idea!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a house in Towamensing Trails just off Stoney Mt road. I ride my cross bike through Weiser and out onto some gravel roads over to and up Jonas Mt. I'll PM you next time I'm going up. Maybe we can ride mtbs. I've wanted to do Drakes and Buzzards Point for years.

bright path native
    Sep 2004
    ltfubar,

If you are looking for Jim Thorpe GPS data I have tons of loops mapped out on every mountain, even a ride that encompasses all five peaks in the JT area in a single ride. I live, ride, train, and have been working/maintaining the trails hear for years. JT is a gold mine of singletrack if you meet the right person, and you just might have.

Rob
    I just was in vertical earth this afternoon and spoke to Dan, he is putting together night rides now at different locations around the Pocono's. Ie GP CBK Jake etc. give him a call or look vertical earth up on Facebook on when and where they are riding

Rob