go ride you crumb-bum
    May 2006

potter county trails

my cronies and i are headed up to potter this weekend. looking for some good trails. thinkin about denton, but just saw their lift will be down. still worth it? anything good to ride in southern potter? we're all around intermediate level. we'll be stayin in cross fork area.

please help!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

You could try the area around "Ole Bull" state park... Race course trails around there are great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There is great xc riding at Denton as well...we maintain about 50 miles of single and double track, and service roads. Even when the lift isn't running, we often have riders there during the week using the trail system. Trail 4 on our brochure trail map, which can be found near the ticket window at the lodge, is a great climb that begins in the valley near the bottom of the triple chair. We also connect to an extensive network of singletrack and roads leading onto state forest ground extending to cherry springs and lyman run state parks.

Keep on Rockin...

Bull...

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    You could try the area around "Ole Bull" state park... Race course trails around there are great!
    The last time I checked out the course (last year) it was several miles of Forestry Road and about 1/4 mile of single track. Maybe that's why turnout for the race was on a steady decline for the past few years. I'd certainly be disappointed if I drove way down there expecting single track riding and all I found was dirt road riding. A very nice area to camp and visit but not if you are looking for singletrack.

Riding a dirt road does not = mountain biking.

A lot of the local Potter folks trying to promote mountain biking just don't understand; to get a mountain biker to drive 2-plus hours to Potter County there needs to be a certain amount of high quality single track that justifies the travel distance. Especially now with gas prices as they are. Most Pennsylvanias have access to at least a modest amount of well maintained, high quality, single track with in a half hour drive of where they live.

Is the drive to Potter to bike miles of Forestry Road inundated with ATVs, double track, and a few miles of single track worth it? To some it is.

Denton has done some work and their system has some real promise. There are some great sections of singletrack near Denton and the area is very beautiful. The volume of singletrack could be better but what is there is very nice. When I visit the area that's where I ride.