Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Post-Turkey Day at Moraine

Hi folks,

I'm pondering a ride at Moraine on Friday morning, day after Thanksgiving. Probably a 10:00 or 11:00 start. There's also a possibility of riding Saturday instead. But, Friday's weather is looking decent (as of Monday, heh!).

Let me know if you might be interested.

Best,
    Mark

The White Jeff W
    6+ inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow with temps remaining around freezing the rest of the week, so I would assume the snow will still be there. Something to think about.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm heading up to Pittsburgh this weekend, too. Was thinking of bringing my bike - are any trails rideable with snow? Brady's Run, North Park, Frick, Moraine?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    I'm heading up to Pittsburgh this weekend, too. Was thinking of bringing my bike - are any trails rideable with snow? Brady's Run, North Park, Frick, Moraine?
    We haven't got much snow on the ground at the moment. We should be getting a few inches over the next couple days, so there will probably be -some- on the trails, though not too much.

So everything should be plenty ride-able, even without a fatty.

Aside from that North Park, Boyce and even Frick get a good bit of cross-country skiers, plus lots of MTB traffic, so things normally are pretty ride-able unless we get a mountain of snow..

Bring the bike or you'll probably regret it.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    6+ inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow with temps remaining around freezing the rest of the week, so I would assume the snow will still be there. Something to think about.
    Dude, the snow covers up all those damn rocks and fills in the gaps!

Seriously, I ride in almost anything. Possibly slowly. But, maybe I'll bring the snowshoes too.

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So, this weather system is crazy. My parents (near New Castle) are expecting 4-8 inches plus more. We're expecting (near Wilkes-Barre) drizzle and *maybe* snow plus a little bit of snow. Crazy stuff when a major front cuts your state in half.

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm ready for as much snow as it can dump on us.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My parents are in Beaver Falls - also expecting ~8 inches. We will be close to Brady's Run and had been thinking of riding there Thursday. Think there will be any other traffic on those trails? As much as I like snow-riding, I wouldn't want to be the first one on unfamiliar trails.

The White Jeff W
    There should be something going on there. Bradys Run is a couple miles from my house and my regular ride. I know a couple people were talking about riding Thursday morning. Ill probably wait & see how much snow we get. Ill post back here if I hear anything concrete on a Thursday ride, or you can just keep an eye on the BABES facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/babeclub.beaver/

Went up to Moraine this morning since the storm seemed to be tracking a little south of there. I was wrong There was about 3" on the ground when I left and still falling steady. It was pretty rideable but having the rocks hidden in the snow was kinda sketchy. Good time though

Post-Turkey Day at Moraine-1476174_10202534259897284_2068855148_n.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks - I'll check back here and on the FB page. Right now I'm watching the weather channel and hoping for a safe trip tomorrow coming up from Virginia.

The White Jeff W
    Looks like about 6"-7" on the ground this morning. The system has pretty much moved out of the area but there might be a little lake effect snow over the next couple days that could add a little to that total. Im gonna hike out in the park later to cut out a downed tree & see how it looks.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the update. We're loading up the car now - bike rack is on...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We didn't get **** but rain down in Pittsburgh. Watching the weather map yesterday evening, it looks like Moraine was right on the boarder of the rain and snow.

Was going to ride Frick today, but too much rain, not enough snow and cold temps so its gonna just be a slick, muddy mess.

Really trying to fight the urge to treck to Moraine today.

The White Jeff W
    Just back from Bradys Run. 3-5 inches of wet, heavy snow on the ground on the section I walked. Rideable, but I probably wont lol. Hopefully it will freeze overnight.
    I have twice as much snow at my house. I pedaled my bike around the neighborhood and through the yard and didnt have any problems getting around.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Got into BF this afternoon and took a quick spin around the neighborhood. It looks like my only shot at Brady's Run will be tomorrow morning ~10. Think it's worthwhile? Suggested routes? May just ride back roads around BF...

To the OP: sorry for derailing your thread. Originally thought Moraine might be an option this trip, but didn't work out.

The White Jeff W
    Welp doesnt look like anyone is riding Bradys Run this morning. Its tough to navigate without a guide. The only suggestion I could make is to park across from the A-Frame house at the end of Beacom Drive in Brighton Twp, then ride the south trail out & back. It splits in several places but its basically two different ways to get to the same place.

From the A Frame continue in on the double track & just before it starts downhill watch for the trailhead up the small hill on the left. Basically ride that out to the end of the park, turn around & ride back. Probably 6 or 7 miles total.

Wish I could come out & show you around but I cant break loose today.

Good Luck!

Go to the end of Beacom and park by the A Frame house

View Larger Map
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    OK - I think I know where that is - rode there twice a couple years ago and think I followed that part of the trail after climbing up from the horse area. Sounds good - thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Re: Post-Turkey Day at Moraine

Well I managed to get in a ride this morning for a little over an hour. Started at the horse area and went up the hill to the a-frame, then along the ridge for an out-and-back of ~4 miles. Snow definitely made it a good workout. Did pretty well with 29 x 2.35 Maxxis Ikons. Thanks for the reports and route suggestions!

The White Jeff W
    Glad you got to ride. It was cold this morning!
    No moss...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    Well I managed to get in a ride this morning for a little over an hour. Started at the horse area and went up the hill to the a-frame, then along the ridge for an out-and-back of ~4 miles. Snow definitely made it a good workout. Did pretty well with 29 x 2.35 Maxxis Ikons. Thanks for the reports and route suggestions!

Wow, doesn't look like much snow is still left on the ground...just a bit more than what was in Frick park yesterday.

I'd go to Moraine today if I wasn't heading up past there already either later today or tomorrow morning when we head to visit family in Mercer Co...where they have quite a bit more snow. I'm hoping that the path around Lake Wilelm hasn't been cleared so I can get a nice ride in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Re: Post-Turkey Day at Moraine

Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Wow, doesn't look like much snow is still left on the ground...just a bit more than what was in Frick park yesterday.

I'd go to Moraine today if I wasn't heading up past there already either later today or tomorrow morning when we head to visit family in Mercer Co...where they have quite a bit more snow. I'm hoping that the path around Lake Wilelm hasn't been cleared so I can get a nice ride in.
    :thumbup:
    How was Frick? We're heading to Irwin later today and I might be able to sneak in a ride at Frick or White Oak park tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We went pretty early and it was nice and crunchy, everything frozen, with only a couple slick spots. Tomorrow should be good, early would be better as its supposed to get above freezing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey, glad to read about everyone's outings. I ended up doing three days of hardcore sled riding. With some snowcats (snowman -> cat like) in the mix. That and a crackling fire did the trick. Now about those Thanksgiving leftovers ....

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So I'll be back up in the Pittsburgh area again next week and planning to bring the bike. What are the trail conditions like (Brady's Run, North Park, Frick, White Oak)? It looks like some rain over the weekend and then colder - I'd prefer frozen to mud!

Thanks,
    Ted

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yea, everything is pretty thawed at the moment and pretty sloppy. The good thing is that it should freeze back up Monday night. Wed and Thurs are going to be above freezing, so those days an early morning ride would be advisable as it might get a bit sloppy again late into the day.

Bavington would be a good bet for any day, even this weekend really.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast