mtbr member

Possibly moving to Pennsylvania

So my wife may be getting tranfered to the Pennsylvania area within the next two years for a work promotion! My question to ya'll is since im moving from North Georgia what are the trails like in your state and are some areas better than others for riding! I am mostly a cross country type rider so I care to much about freeride or anything like that!
    Happy trails
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    PA. is all good, which part(s) of the state are in contention?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    although the possibilities and areas to ride are all over the place, I would say anywhere between York and Allentown would be a great place to look.
    Not too familiar with other areas of the state, but I certainly love living where I do (Northern Lancaster County).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area is blessed with lots of great trail systems and an active club scene. Check you bikevmb.com for more.

Did you ever have ham?

Possibly moving to Pennsylvania

Northeastern PA has some great riding!!! I mostly frequent Moon Lake Park in Hunlock Creek. We have nearly 30 miles of trail there, with something for everyone. Frances Slocum State Park is also a nice place to ride. Check out NEPMTBA's sticky at the top of the PA forum for more info on great places to ride here!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Her work will most likely be in Philly and we will live somewhere outside of the city. I dont have very many details yet because it is still aways off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anywhere within an 1.5 hour drive from Philly you'll have an assortment of trails to keep you happy. Depending on how close to the city you may live, you'll have 4-5(+) major trail systems that contain miles of trails.

Inside city limits you have 3 well known trail systems: Wissahickon, PennyPack, Belmont. All three different and will take care of your Cross Country fix.

The list goes on, and on, and on...............................

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i don't think any one has mentioned the rocks yet, cause we got lots of rocks, but it's all good stuff

mtbr member
    Oh yeah...hope you like rocks and roots. But it's all good.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Idriver
    Her work will most likely be in Philly and we will live somewhere outside of the city. I dont have very many details yet because it is still aways off.
    If you move to north of Philly you'd have access to Salisbury in Allentown, French Creek in Birdsboro, of course the Wiss in Philly, Stover-High Rocks in Plumsteadville, Blue Marsh nw of Reading to name just a few . . .

What's really cool is that by the time you move here Nockamixon S.P. mtb trail system (between Philly and Allentown-Bethlehem near Quakertown) should also be done (a VMB project) - very scenic XC fast and flowy woodsy trails with creek crossings, lake views. More than twelve miles of singletrack planned. No horses allowed.

The few people who have ridden what's done already at Nockamixon on Sundays (the trail's not open officially yet any other day but on trail-build Sundays) have had pretty favorable reviews when they bump into us continuing the build.

mtbr member
    Not too far from philly is white clay creek, DE and fair hill, MD. These are some of the best trails around and easy to get to from the city.
    Pugsley, Bullit

Now broadcasting from CO
    Don't discount Central PA! Everyone always forgets about it. Best riding in the state IMO. Michaux, Rothrock, Bald Eagle, and Tuscarora state forests have tons of epic riding, with more rocks than you can shake a stick at. Good place for a weekend of riding if you're living in the Philly area.

As for Philly area riding, pretty much everyone has covered it: French Creek, Wiss./Penny Pack/Belmont, Blue Marsh, Brandywine (Delaware), Middle Run/White Clay (Delaware), and Fair Hill (Maryland). I don't know of anything East of Philly, but there may be something. Welcome to the area.
    Brought to you by rocks.

ganginwood
    where were you riding in northern georgia? i lived near asheville for a bunch of years and know the area well. let me know what you're looking to do comparatively and i'll give you my .02
    central pa would be more of what your used to terrain wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    I spend most of my riding time at Blankets Creek in Woodstock (simply because it close to the house). Have ridden Chiopee a few times. My rides are all xc rides as I said above I never got into freeride or downhill. Rocks and roots arent much of a problem we have plenty here as well. Probably not to the extent that you do though!

I appreciate all the input so far it has made feel better about moving there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Plenty of riding for you. One thing though-Stan's Tubeless.

Just saying...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As mentioned by others, going tubeless is good, getting ready to deal with a lot of rocks and roots is good. I'd add that acquiring the right winter gear to keep you comfortable riding all winter's good. In some places in PA, during some winters, studded tires can be a great idea too. Reality is you'll acclimate just fine to our Yankee weather.