mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Possibly moving to Penn. looking for place to live with good mtn and road riding

The wife and I might be relocating to Titusville/Trenton area(wife would be commuting to Titusville, I work from home). Where could we live and be near enough to ride to trails and have good road biking? On the other hand we like some things about a good city location, something with good coffee shops, resteraunts, etc. I posted this in the NJ section but thought I'd throw it on here as well. Thanks

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by scravnyman
    The wife and I might be relocating to Titusville/Trenton area(wife would be commuting to Titusville, I work from home). Where could we live and be near enough to ride to trails and have good road biking? On the other hand we like some things about a good city location, something with good coffee shops, resteraunts, etc. I posted this in the NJ section but thought I'd throw it on here as well. Thanks
    LOL... does your wife happen to work for J&J?

Just curious, 'cos it seems like everyone who works 'in Titusville' works at the same site as me.

Regardless, there are riding opportunities aplenty - especially on the road. From Washington Crossing north (basically as far as you're willing to go - all the way up to Northampton & Lehigh Counties), there's plenty of beautiful road riding on both sides of the river... just bring a triple or compact crankset, 'cos there's hills in every direction once you head away from River Rd.

Where you settle will depend a lot on your budget. Doylestown Boro is nice enough (if a bit over-valued), in that it offers a quaint mini-metro feel with good dining/shopping/etc, while still offering plenty of 'country' charm once you spin a few miles out of town. As far as mountain biking goes, the best local gem is Ralph Stover S.P. (maybe 10 miles from D-town). Wissahickon is bigger, but farther away...

Property in Dublin is a little less expensive, and still a reasonable commute to Titusville (about 35 - 40 min, depending on traffic)

If you can afford a place closer to the river, anywhere from Point Pleasant down to Yardley in PA (or, say, Frenchtown down to Titusville/Hopewell in NJ), your wife would have a beautiful commute, especially by bike via the canal towpath.

FWIW, I live in Hatboro ~ 21 miles from Titusville (40 min driving by backroads, 30 min via highway if there's NO traffic). I commute by bike occasionally, takes ~ 1:15, nice route. From here, thanks in no small part to convenient PA turnpike access, I can hit every good MTB riding area in SE PA (e.g. French Creek, Blue Marsh, Jim Thorpe, Wiss, S. Mountain, Ralph Stover, etc) in about an hour or less.

From a roadie perspective, living here sucks a little - because you have to ride 20 - 30 min through Suburban Sprawl Hell traffic on crappy shoulders to get to nicer rural 2-lanes. Other than that, it's got plenty to keep me happy. Schools are good and philly is only 15 miles away, NYC about 1.5 hrs (2 in traffic).

Hope that helps a little. I've lived in Bucks & Montgomery counties for all but 5 of my 31 yrs, been riding here on a regular basis for a decade and a half. If you have any more specific questions about a town, or the area in general, lemme know!
    Last edited by Stick; 03-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the Lehigh Vallet is about 45 minutes from the Doylestown and has BUNCH of great MTB and road riding, so it depends if you want to ride from your house, or if you are willing to do a bit of driving for the some great riding and 'bike culture' email me if you want more details

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    the Lehigh Vallet is about 45 minutes from the Doylestown and has BUNCH of great MTB and road riding, so it depends if you want to ride from your house, or if you are willing to do a bit of driving for the some great riding and 'bike culture' email me if you want more details
    True - but Doylestown is already ~ 30 - 40 min from where his wife would be working. Another 45 on top of that makes for a pretty lengthy commute w/ less-than-stellar 'direct' routes. There are 3 women working here who live in Macungie and carpool together every day. It's only 50 miles away, yet (on a good day) they spend a minimum of 3 hrs in a car just getting to and from work. That can easily stretch into 4+ on a bad traffic day.

Not knocking the Lehigh Valley (you know I like the riding and, hell, I'd like to live there myself!) - it's just not very convenient for someone working in Titusville, unfortunately.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Dirt Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    True - but Doylestown is already ~ 30 - 40 min from where his wife would be working. Another 45 on top of that makes for a pretty lengthy commute w/ less-than-stellar 'direct' routes. There are 3 women working here who live in Macungie and carpool together every day. It's only 50 miles away, yet (on a good day) they spend a minimum of 3 hrs in a car just getting to and from work. That can easily stretch into 4+ on a bad traffic day.

Not knocking the Lehigh Valley (you know I like the riding and, hell, I'd like to live there myself!) - it's just not very convenient for someone working in Titusville, unfortunately.
    True, but if she is in the car for 3 hours, thats 3 more hours of riding time.