Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I'm more of a dog person

Pocono Bike Park?

I have recent knowledge of a Pocono ski mountain that may have interest in putting in a lift access bike park (similar to Diablo in NJ), and I'd like to see a show of hands (or posts in this case) of riders who would be interested in using such a wonderful place. The owner is a little undecided at this point so I thought I might try and help swing the vote in the right direction by demostrating the amount of interest that a local bike park would bring. So anybody in Eastern PA yearning for a good place to ride those big bikes gimme a "Heck Yes"!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I speak for about 10 guys at my work that would gladly raise their hands and open their wallets for this....

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Hell Yeah! And I can think of many more that would love to have something a little closer to home!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Berbs, you know that all of is up here in State College would be more than happy to make the trip. Oh, if it helps. HECK YEA!!

You didnt have any fun when we were at Diablo did you?

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    You didnt have any fun when we were at Diablo did you?
    Nah Nate, that place is no fun at all!

mtbr member
    Heck Yea!
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heck ****ing Yea!!!!!!

mtbr member
    hell yeah! I know many others than would be interested too!
    Team _________

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    hell yeah! I know many others than would be interested too!
    Great! Have them post up on this thread and show some more support. The more posts the better. I will be sending a link to this thread to the owner of the mountain soon, so lets show her how much we want this park!

3 "fiddy" for short
    You can look at this two ways.

ONE: Diablo isn't that far from the Poconos. It would take a lot to draw riders from Diablo considering their relative locations. So, without some thought and DEDICATION it will be tough.

.....but....

TWO: Diablo provides a good example of what it takes to make this type of venture work. With a knowledgeable building group and good planning, riders could alternate locations. I for one have to drive past the Poconos to get to Diablo. So, I would love to see this work so that I could drive to the Poconos to ride on a Sat and then after the park closes drive to Diablo for a Sunday ride.

I really hope this takes off. I think a good way of showing support is to get all the people you know that would be interested to just make a quick post. An e-verbal commitment is a start and could go a long way in helping the land owner put his/her ideas on paper.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    Great! Have them post up on this thread and show some more support. The more posts the better. I will be sending a link to this thread to the owner of the mountain soon, so lets show her how much we want this park!
    If you need any help PM me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'd go and maybe even eat at a restaurant there too.

Dirt Diva Little h

Oh yeah!

I know at least 2-4 ladies that would go! 1.5 hours is better then 2.5 hours!
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailcarver
    I'd go and maybe even eat at a restaurant there too.
    The owner did actually mention to me plans for a resturant, lodging, expansion of the existing ski trails, and a mountain zipline. There's a lot going on here already so I know she has the dedication for this. I'd like for us to give her a hand in getting this done since she is not at all familiar with our sport yet. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts they'd like to share, please speak up. The more we all get involved with this potential project, the happier we can all be with the result.

I'm more of a dog person
    You can look at this two ways.

ONE: Diablo isn't that far from the Poconos. It would take a lot to draw riders from Diablo considering their relative locations. So, without some thought and DEDICATION it will be tough.

.....but....

TWO: Diablo provides a good example of what it takes to make this type of venture work. With a knowledgeable building group and good planning, riders could alternate locations. I for one have to drive past the Poconos to get to Diablo. So, I would love to see this work so that I could drive to the Poconos to ride on a Sat and then after the park closes drive to Diablo for a Sunday ride.

I really hope this takes off. I think a good way of showing support is to get all the people you know that would be interested to just make a quick post. An e-verbal commitment is a start and could go a long way in helping the land owner put his/her ideas on paper.
    Some good thoughts there Nate. I see what you're saying about the proximity of Diablo, but I look at it this way - there are lots of people in the area that ski. There are also quite a few ski resorts in the area. The more ski resorts they have, the more options they have. And I know every one of them is packed in the winter. The same goes for riding. The more parks we have, the more options. Now I know that there's probably not as many "freeriders" out there as skiers, but our sport is growing and growing quickly. Diablo is not going to be the only option for very long. Look what happened with snowboarding in the 90's. I can remember when only one or two mountains allowed it. Now practically every mountain in the Poconos has a terrain park for boarders. It's coming, I'm just trying to help it get here a little faster.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    Some good thoughts there Nate. I see what you're saying about the proximity of Diablo, but I look at it this way - there are lots of people in the area that ski. There are also quite a few ski resorts in the area. The more ski resorts they have, the more options they have. And I know every one of them is packed in the winter. The same goes for riding. The more parks we have, the more options. Now I know that there's probably not as many "freeriders" out there as skiers, but our sport is growing and growing quickly. Diablo is not going to be the only option for very long. Look what happened with snowboarding in the 90's. I can remember when only one or two mountains allowed it. Now practically every mountain in the Poconos has a terrain park for boarders. It's coming, I'm just trying to help it get here a little faster.
    I agree 100%.

When the time comes I think the land manager needs to get in touch with the likes of Gravity Logic to get input from the experts. This way the mountain knows exactly where they stand and what to expect from this venture. I have no doubt that it can be done, but doing it properly from the beginning is essential.

I don't want to bash any other mountains out there, but some got in a little over their heads and didn't really have a plan for their "park." Not knowing where you are going, or better yet, where you NEED to go to remain competitive, is a recipe for disaster. With that said, I think that with a collective effort from future users and pros like Gravity Logic a park with potential could be in the works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sign me up! It is also good to go to different places just to change it up. I always rotate my trails when i ride xc.

Thanks.

I'm more of a dog person
    I agree 100%.

When the time comes I think the land manager needs to get in touch with the likes of Gravity Logic to get input from the experts. This way the mountain knows exactly where they stand and what to expect from this venture. I have no doubt that it can be done, but doing it properly from the beginning is essential.

I don't want to bash any other mountains out there, but some got in a little over their heads and didn't really have a plan for their "park." Not knowing where you are going, or better yet, where you NEED to go to remain competitive, is a recipe for disaster. With that said, I think that with a collective effort from future users and pros like Gravity Logic a park with potential could be in the works.
    Gravity Logic, that's perfect - exactly the kind of info I was hoping to be able to provide. You're thinking exactly how I am Nate. Knowing that there is a company out there that provides the right services needed to get a park like this off the ground is vastly important.
    Keep it comin'.

banned
    I'm in...and this includes a couple others for the trip as well. I'm not big air or anything, but I'm looking to learn and I put my time in Eastern Pa, so adding variety to the great trails out there would be great for those multi-day trips.

trail addict

definitely interested!!!

My two buds and I would be tempted to buy season passes, diablo is just a little too far, but if it was maybe an hour closer, it would make a big difference. I also know of many others in the Bloomsburg area that would be interested!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Lets here some more details... Any way you could give us a hint on which resort? I've been snowboarding in the Poconos for ages and always wished a couple, certain resorts would open up to bikes, due to there terrain. So...? Might also get some more raised hands... Also might this mean some PA DH races...?

mtbr member
    And don't forget Dual slalom too!
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Lets here some more details... Any way you could give us a hint on which resort? I've been snowboarding in the Poconos for ages and always wished a couple, certain resorts would open up to bikes, due to there terrain. So...? Might also get some more raised hands... Also might this mean some PA DH races...?
    Ahh, it took a while but I knew this question would come up. I hear what your saying about terrain preferences on certain mountains Todd. I did a little homework though and whether or not this mountain would be the pick of the litter terrain-wise is kind of mute right now. As it stands, they are the only ones I have found that are currently open-minded to the idea of letting bikes use their lifts at all. I'm sure that once one mountain builds a park, most will follow suit. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that it's not a good mountain for a park, because it think it'll be great. Don't worry, I will hopefully be able to give some more details soon. I want to talk with the owner again before I let out any specifics. I don't want this to go from possible reality to just a passing rumor.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Ones perfect for the Rothrocker?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

We have spoke with Mr. Carlson at Sno Moutain and he is open to doing it! They have lot's of projects in the pipeline already but it has been considered!

LC

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast