Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm more of a dog person

Pocono Bike Park?

I have recent knowledge of a Pocono ski mountain that may have interest in putting in a lift access bike park (similar to Diablo in NJ), and I'd like to see a show of hands (or posts in this case) of riders who would be interested in using such a wonderful place. The owner is a little undecided at this point so I thought I might try and help swing the vote in the right direction by demostrating the amount of interest that a local bike park would bring. So anybody in Eastern PA yearning for a good place to ride those big bikes gimme a "Heck Yes"!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I speak for about 10 guys at my work that would gladly raise their hands and open their wallets for this....

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Hell Yeah! And I can think of many more that would love to have something a little closer to home!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Berbs, you know that all of is up here in State College would be more than happy to make the trip. Oh, if it helps. HECK YEA!!

You didnt have any fun when we were at Diablo did you?

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    You didnt have any fun when we were at Diablo did you?
    Nah Nate, that place is no fun at all!

mtbr member
    Heck Yea!
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Heck ****ing Yea!!!!!!

mtbr member
    hell yeah! I know many others than would be interested too!
    Team _________

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    hell yeah! I know many others than would be interested too!
    Great! Have them post up on this thread and show some more support. The more posts the better. I will be sending a link to this thread to the owner of the mountain soon, so lets show her how much we want this park!

3 "fiddy" for short
    You can look at this two ways.

ONE: Diablo isn't that far from the Poconos. It would take a lot to draw riders from Diablo considering their relative locations. So, without some thought and DEDICATION it will be tough.

.....but....

TWO: Diablo provides a good example of what it takes to make this type of venture work. With a knowledgeable building group and good planning, riders could alternate locations. I for one have to drive past the Poconos to get to Diablo. So, I would love to see this work so that I could drive to the Poconos to ride on a Sat and then after the park closes drive to Diablo for a Sunday ride.

I really hope this takes off. I think a good way of showing support is to get all the people you know that would be interested to just make a quick post. An e-verbal commitment is a start and could go a long way in helping the land owner put his/her ideas on paper.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    Great! Have them post up on this thread and show some more support. The more posts the better. I will be sending a link to this thread to the owner of the mountain soon, so lets show her how much we want this park!
    If you need any help PM me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'd go and maybe even eat at a restaurant there too.

Dirt Diva Little h

Oh yeah!

I know at least 2-4 ladies that would go! 1.5 hours is better then 2.5 hours!
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailcarver
    I'd go and maybe even eat at a restaurant there too.
    The owner did actually mention to me plans for a resturant, lodging, expansion of the existing ski trails, and a mountain zipline. There's a lot going on here already so I know she has the dedication for this. I'd like for us to give her a hand in getting this done since she is not at all familiar with our sport yet. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts they'd like to share, please speak up. The more we all get involved with this potential project, the happier we can all be with the result.

I'm more of a dog person
    You can look at this two ways.

ONE: Diablo isn't that far from the Poconos. It would take a lot to draw riders from Diablo considering their relative locations. So, without some thought and DEDICATION it will be tough.

.....but....

TWO: Diablo provides a good example of what it takes to make this type of venture work. With a knowledgeable building group and good planning, riders could alternate locations. I for one have to drive past the Poconos to get to Diablo. So, I would love to see this work so that I could drive to the Poconos to ride on a Sat and then after the park closes drive to Diablo for a Sunday ride.

I really hope this takes off. I think a good way of showing support is to get all the people you know that would be interested to just make a quick post. An e-verbal commitment is a start and could go a long way in helping the land owner put his/her ideas on paper.
    Some good thoughts there Nate. I see what you're saying about the proximity of Diablo, but I look at it this way - there are lots of people in the area that ski. There are also quite a few ski resorts in the area. The more ski resorts they have, the more options they have. And I know every one of them is packed in the winter. The same goes for riding. The more parks we have, the more options. Now I know that there's probably not as many "freeriders" out there as skiers, but our sport is growing and growing quickly. Diablo is not going to be the only option for very long. Look what happened with snowboarding in the 90's. I can remember when only one or two mountains allowed it. Now practically every mountain in the Poconos has a terrain park for boarders. It's coming, I'm just trying to help it get here a little faster.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Some good thoughts there Nate. I see what you're saying about the proximity of Diablo, but I look at it this way - there are lots of people in the area that ski. There are also quite a few ski resorts in the area. The more ski resorts they have, the more options they have. And I know every one of them is packed in the winter. The same goes for riding. The more parks we have, the more options. Now I know that there's probably not as many "freeriders" out there as skiers, but our sport is growing and growing quickly. Diablo is not going to be the only option for very long. Look what happened with snowboarding in the 90's. I can remember when only one or two mountains allowed it. Now practically every mountain in the Poconos has a terrain park for boarders. It's coming, I'm just trying to help it get here a little faster.
    I agree 100%.

When the time comes I think the land manager needs to get in touch with the likes of Gravity Logic to get input from the experts. This way the mountain knows exactly where they stand and what to expect from this venture. I have no doubt that it can be done, but doing it properly from the beginning is essential.

I don't want to bash any other mountains out there, but some got in a little over their heads and didn't really have a plan for their "park." Not knowing where you are going, or better yet, where you NEED to go to remain competitive, is a recipe for disaster. With that said, I think that with a collective effort from future users and pros like Gravity Logic a park with potential could be in the works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sign me up! It is also good to go to different places just to change it up. I always rotate my trails when i ride xc.

Thanks.

I'm more of a dog person
    I agree 100%.

When the time comes I think the land manager needs to get in touch with the likes of Gravity Logic to get input from the experts. This way the mountain knows exactly where they stand and what to expect from this venture. I have no doubt that it can be done, but doing it properly from the beginning is essential.

I don't want to bash any other mountains out there, but some got in a little over their heads and didn't really have a plan for their "park." Not knowing where you are going, or better yet, where you NEED to go to remain competitive, is a recipe for disaster. With that said, I think that with a collective effort from future users and pros like Gravity Logic a park with potential could be in the works.
    Gravity Logic, that's perfect - exactly the kind of info I was hoping to be able to provide. You're thinking exactly how I am Nate. Knowing that there is a company out there that provides the right services needed to get a park like this off the ground is vastly important.
    Keep it comin'.

banned
    I'm in...and this includes a couple others for the trip as well. I'm not big air or anything, but I'm looking to learn and I put my time in Eastern Pa, so adding variety to the great trails out there would be great for those multi-day trips.

trail addict

definitely interested!!!

My two buds and I would be tempted to buy season passes, diablo is just a little too far, but if it was maybe an hour closer, it would make a big difference. I also know of many others in the Bloomsburg area that would be interested!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Lets here some more details... Any way you could give us a hint on which resort? I've been snowboarding in the Poconos for ages and always wished a couple, certain resorts would open up to bikes, due to there terrain. So...? Might also get some more raised hands... Also might this mean some PA DH races...?

mtbr member
    And don't forget Dual slalom too!
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Lets here some more details... Any way you could give us a hint on which resort? I've been snowboarding in the Poconos for ages and always wished a couple, certain resorts would open up to bikes, due to there terrain. So...? Might also get some more raised hands... Also might this mean some PA DH races...?
    Ahh, it took a while but I knew this question would come up. I hear what your saying about terrain preferences on certain mountains Todd. I did a little homework though and whether or not this mountain would be the pick of the litter terrain-wise is kind of mute right now. As it stands, they are the only ones I have found that are currently open-minded to the idea of letting bikes use their lifts at all. I'm sure that once one mountain builds a park, most will follow suit. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that it's not a good mountain for a park, because it think it'll be great. Don't worry, I will hopefully be able to give some more details soon. I want to talk with the owner again before I let out any specifics. I don't want this to go from possible reality to just a passing rumor.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd@gretnabikes
    Ones perfect for the Rothrocker?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

We have spoke with Mr. Carlson at Sno Moutain and he is open to doing it! They have lot's of projects in the pipeline already but it has been considered!

LC

VotedMostLikelyToCrash

Count Me In!!

I would absolutely be interested in a high quality park that has put some time into designing and creating a riding experience that would rival or better a place like Diablo.

If we had a place like that around here, I know I would be in line to buy a season pass!

I hope this is a serious consideration!! I am already looking forward to it!!!
    " I don't care who you are...... that's fun...."

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I am in! I also know of at least 6 other guys who would by season passes. Driving to the Poconos from Lancaster, is far better than driving to mt. creek and then driving home tired and battered.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    To all:

We have spoke with Mr. Carlson at Sno Moutain and he is open to doing it! They have lot's of projects in the pipeline already but it has been considered!

LC
    SWEEET!! Looks like we may have two mountains with lift access parks in the near future people! Sno Mountain is a kick a$$ mountain for a park considering it's the largest of the Pocono resorts. Now I'm really getting psyched!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

To all:

Please let me say if you all want something send emails to the ski areas. I have done so as have others in our area. Emailing is simple and the first step to success. If the ski area receives input from us they will see it is a good business venture. They see their world in dollars and money talks!
    If you are interested in step two go to the ski area ask nicely for an appointment to talk with a manager or the person in charge of overall affairs at the ski area.
    Don't sit back and view these message boards and assume it will just happen...

Thanks for time... now type an email to them... LOL!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sounds awesome! Its about time the USA got it self in gear for modern mountain biking! I will definatly ride there as well I need more DH riding spots!

3 "fiddy" for short
    It might be a good Idea to X-Post this in the NY, NJ, VA, MD, OH, WV forums to get a wider sample. That way you can show the owner the number of people that are willing to travel to the new park.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    get off the computer and go get some wine and cheese!

ray's fell through and i spent the day opening more corridor at wies. i would gladly have others doing the work for me on a much larger mountain even if it is a couple hours away. that's a deal of an easier trip than diablo is. makes a day trip reasonable for a guy like me who can't get days on end off from work.

I'm more of a dog person
    It might be a good Idea to X-Post this in the NY, NJ, VA, MD, OH, WV forums to get a wider sample. That way you can show the owner the number of people that are willing to travel to the new park.
    Already did all of them execpt NY. Don't know why that one slipped my mind. I'll do it now, thanks Nate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    id go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is great news for PA.

mtbr member
    That would be AMAZING!!!!!!

smell my finger
    I'll tell you, the guys I ride with had season passes to Diablo and still never managed to get there enough to break even. During the off season it's easy to imagine heading up there weekly, but after a month of 4 hours rides for daytrips, speeding tickets,overtime, etc.., the poconos begin to look very attractive (they always have been). We all live in the Lehigh Valley, and I've got a place at Wallenpaupac -- I'm actually suprised it has taken this long. Rode Killington like 12 or 13 years ago...

Recovering
    It could be great, but you ought to develop a business plan and budget everything extensively. Trail building, especially freeride trail building, can be expensive with experienced builders, and operating the lifts and paying for summer insurance isn't cheap either while developing a healthy ridership that can support the park. A freeride park is not something the mountain will break even on in their first or second year. They have to be willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into building and operating the park before it will reach the point where it turns a profit.

Diablo and Plattekill are ahead of the curve because they've been doing it for so many years now, and were able to start small with much lower investment and grow organically to where they are now, adding a few more trails and stunts each year. But building a place like Highland, from scratch, in two years, cost a couple million dollars. They're still a long way from breaking even, but luckily they've got a smart businessman at the helm who's funding it himself and is willing to operate the mountain at a loss for several years knowing that they'll get to the point where they're profitable 4-5 years down the road.

Understand that any new bike park would be entering the market in these current conditions, and would be judged against these other mountains that have been at it longer (Diablo, Platty) and have deeper pockets and dedicated management (Highland).

It's obviously still a great idea, and opening up new venues definitely helps the sport grow. But it's better to be upfront about the costs involved in doing it right...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Ones perfect for the Rothrocker?

Perfect for the Panzer...

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by jbogner
    It could be great, but you ought to develop a business plan and budget everything extensively. Trail building, especially freeride trail building, can be expensive with experienced builders, and operating the lifts and paying for summer insurance isn't cheap either while developing a healthy ridership that can support the park. A freeride park is not something the mountain will break even on in their first or second year. They have to be willing to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into building and operating the park before it will reach the point where it turns a profit.

Diablo and Plattekill are ahead of the curve because they've been doing it for so many years now, and were able to start small with much lower investment and grow organically to where they are now, adding a few more trails and stunts each year. But building a place like Highland, from scratch, in two years, cost a couple million dollars. They're still a long way from breaking even, but luckily they've got a smart businessman at the helm who's funding it himself and is willing to operate the mountain at a loss for several years knowing that they'll get to the point where they're profitable 4-5 years down the road.

Understand that any new bike park would be entering the market in these current conditions, and would be judged against these other mountains that have been at it longer (Diablo, Platty) and have deeper pockets and dedicated management (Highland).

It's obviously still a great idea, and opening up new venues definitely helps the sport grow. But it's better to be upfront about the costs involved in doing it right...
    True. I think any mountain considering this would (or should) understand that something like this is a long term plan, not an immidiate return. I'm sure it was the same way for all the mountains when they built the ski runs. It takes an intial investment with a slow return until they build up a customer base. Same goes with any of these mountains that build hotels. They wouldn't expect for them to be a cash cow instantly, yet they will put out a huge sum of money to get them built, probably lots more than a bike park would cost. I don't think any of this would or should be a real deterent for a smart business person.

Lez go.
    Sign me UP!
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

I'm more of a dog person

Positive Feedback

GOOD NEWS PEOPLE! I just got off the phone with the owner of the mountain and it looks like everyone's interest has paid off. She has every intention of going forth with putting in a bike park! I know alot of you have been wondering what mounatin it is, sorry for keeping you in supsense, the anwser is Blue Mountain in Palmerton, and it could be as early as this summer. Blue Mtn. is only minutes from Jim Thorpe which is already a mtb biking meca, so this will definetly increase the area's popularity for biking. Between Blue Mtn. and Sno Mtn., park riding is on it's way to PA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is great news. I live in NC now, but still have tons of family in Stroudsburg and get up twice a year or so. I actually rode Camelback 10 plus years ago on my hardtail Zaskar. Still amazed I lived through it. My best friend and I giggled like school girls the entire time we were there...

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    GOOD NEWS PEOPLE! I just got off the phone with the owner of the mountain and it looks like everyone's interest has paid off. She has every intention of going forth with putting in a bike park! I know alot of you have been wondering what mounatin it is, sorry for keeping you in supsense, the anwser is Blue Mountain in Palmerton, and it could be as early as this summer. Blue Mtn. is only minutes from Jim Thorpe which is already a mtb biking meca, so this will definetly increase the area's popularity for biking. Between Blue Mtn. and Sno Mtn., park riding is on it's way to PA!
    Wow that is good news! That was some where I always wished would open up in the summer. They have some really great terrain and a good bit of vertical drop. Not to mention a fast chair lift, if they use the quad. Keep us informed...!

smell my finger
    I've linked this thread to the Valley Mountain Bikers site, our local Lehigh valley site. Some positive responces also they want to post the news on pinkbike. Whatta ya think? This news is huge to us down here.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by joemamad
    I've linked this thread to the Valley Mountain Bikers site, our local Lehigh valley site. Some positive responces also they want to post the news on pinkbike. Whatta ya think? This news is huge to us down here.
    Sounds great, post it up. Lets get the news out.

Single Track Addict

Wow!

That is really great news...I am only 25 minutes from Blue!

VERYcool!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Action Wheels Racing

I know a dozen to two dozen riders who are in. This could be huge for our sport. I know even more people who would ride DH/Freeride if they had a place to go. This would justify their reason for buying a large travel bike.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

This is Great News!

Thanks to the owner's & staff at Blue Mountain for planning this great new venue!

LC

eci
    Woo hoo!!! when im home in july i'll have 2 mtns to shred at not just 1!!!

pro
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    SICK! Sign me up!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know that me and at least 5 guys from the Philly area that would be down for this. Diablo is a little far but it hasn't stopped us from getting up there.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    This is very cool. I live in NC now, but grew up in PA and go to the Poconos to visit family. This would give me a reason to visit much more often. Excellent!
    I read that on the internet.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    that would be closer for me, straight up 80 from Bloomsburg !

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    HECK YEAH!!!! I'm only 20 minutes from Blue Mountain! Thats much better than 1hr 40m to Diablo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

pocono bike park

As the threat of yet another crappy warm winter appears to be happening. most winter resorts are going to be may I say jumping on the band wagon... for thsoe that wrote about the snowboard industry back in the day dealing witht he same flux you're exactly right.
    I think resorts should offer mtn biking in the spring summer and fall. and yeah I am down for it too. I also would suggest that they do follow guidelines set forth by resorts like plattekill,roxbury NY owner Lazlo madd props to you... Diablo Freeride Vernon NJ Shawn and the crew of hustlers over there thanks for a many happy times good and bad , whiteface lake placid, NY downhill Mike.... These three resorts first off have offered Mtn biking for many years with many SLOW times but have never given up for the $$$$....

I think alot of resorts will see the amount of money they actually spend on making the blanket of snow on there hill white and have ,what is happening right now make it well you can imagine for yourself what it looks like right now.... but get my point.

MILLIONS of DOLLARS get WASTED by these resorts anually, and when we have ALREADY knocked on there doors for a decade to ride the hills they have or lease. NO AVAIL, NO return phone calls, OR just NO!!!!!

And NOW.... tah dah.. for the lack of money in there tight ass wallets they want to get back some of it by getting usinvolved . I already have a black list started with this causestarted just like I did when I snowboarded in 1984.
    BUT...
    It is nice to see one whom isnt on the list because they do a snow race , I am happy to hear and have been called in a few tiems already on this park. I think it'll go over good.
    I think a program should be set. and guidelines need to be stated. they're are alot of riders in the PA area and tristate that could benefit by meeting there soon and menaing NOW. the owner should be made aware of these posts . and maybe make a weekend out of it at his resort in the very NEAR future. We can all meet there and discuss it and show the owner how it looks .

I wish you wouldnt bash diablo it is definitely a great place to ride. the trails there are challenging and tuff on your bike and body, and the crew does work with a minimal budget. what they do to kick back to the riders is the races and if you've ever won anything there you'll remember needing a third hand to carry all the prizes back to your truck....

my church is the woods
    Jim D. has some great ideas, and I agree that a knowledgeable contingent of riders should get with the management/operator of Blue Mtn, and soon.

There needs to be some real planning for this to succeed. I mean, we have a lot of places to ride for free, albeit mostly XC riding, in PA. so paying to ride somewhere better be worth the price. I've never been disappointed paying to ride Diablo or Platty, both places are worth the drive and price. What makes them worthwhile is vertical, amount of quality trails, and of course lift service. Blue Mtn. has 2 of those 3 things in place.
    A variety of quality trails is the key to success. The model that Platty has utilized most is to run 7-8 races a year, cut a new trail every race, and let the hundreds of racers wear in the trail over the weekend. Diablo I think has a paid trail crew that builds trails, jumps and stunts, plus they've got a fast lift. I haven't read anything here negative about Diablo, except for the long drive getting there.

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dellavalle
    I wish you wouldnt bash diablo it is definitely a great place to ride.
    I don't think anyone is bashing Diablo, I think everyone is just saying it's a little far for some people and it would be nice to have something a little closer. As far as getting knowledgable people involved, I think the owner knows what she is doing. From what I hear IMBA is involved along with a group from the Lehigh Valley and a plan is already in place and moving foward. Things are happening quickly.

mtbr member

itis done

We have already asembled a team and have already met with the mountain and have a committment. we have obtained boundries and are starting the layout and planning already.

joe

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    We have already asembled a team and have already met with the mountain and have a committment. we have obtained boundries and are starting the layout and planning already.

joe

<br><br>

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So who is the team and why hasn't anyone heard about it??? Seems like the Mtn Bikers of the Area should be involved if you ask me... I hope the guys who actually rip singletrack get to be involved with the process of building such park, especially the guys who get both wheels off the ground... Locals beware... If you want to be a part, be proactive and get in there or you'll never know what is going on...

mtbr member
    patience grasshopper!!!!!! The dish known as the Blue Mtn bike extravaganza will have a healthy dose of local flavor, from XC, DH, to dual slalom, and maybe even a little bmx.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would definitely ride this regularly if quality trails are built, as would 3 friends.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ya never answered the question... who is the team and how can we get involved in the initial process...

mtbr member
    hey brian, hope all is well. I'm sure you see the website and know who it is keep checking www.bikevmb.com for updates. Looking forward to having you involved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the idea was to inform the others so that they may be involved... I know how you like things to yourself...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think everyone needs to take a step back and breathe. Right now is Blue's money making season, and in addition, a new member of the family has taken over the operations of the mountain. The last thing we need is 20 different mountain bikes harassing them about this when they are focusing on the winter.

Another thing, I know people have their difference with Joe (Hackamo), but right now him being an IMBA rep is the best possible thing we have going for us. People may disagree, but IMBA bring a national name of responsibility with it, and we will need all the help we can get with this. Also Joe has played a big roll in helping us gain trail access, for example Salisbury. I have full confidence in Joe heading this up, and lets all keep checking in at www.bikevmb.com for this.

Thanks

Now broadcasting from CO
    I don't even downhill and I would be willing to pay to ride there...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Uphill hater
    Yep, as a recent convert to the ways of "gravity assisted biking" this is indeed great news. Blue Mt. is a great place very close to the Lehigh Valley and a good central point to bring a lot of not only PA riders but a lot of the great folks from MD, VA, NJ and NY to come see what a great place we have to ride and what great people we have to ride with!

That being said, it will take a concerted effort by advocacy teams, trailbuilders, riders, safety evaluations, lawyers for liability reasons and a very good public relations effort to put a very positive spin on this.

Don't think for one minute that other ski resort owners that may be thinking about opening their resorts to bikers won't watch this process and don't think they don't read these message forums. They do.

DH riders project a certain image and by God, I love it, but it can be unsettling to some unknowing and non-believers in the church of gravity and physics. This where we need to remember that we are representing our sport(s) to some people for the very first time and well, you know what they say about first impressions...

Short rant turned long, I know but BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) is yeah, the resorts are finally feeling the pinch of warm winters and are opening their minds to the idea of supplementing $$ by letting in MTBers and this is how we decide how we walk in that door and set the stage for the future of this..
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I have confidence

In Joe heading this up too. He was the point man for Sals and he did a wonderful job and now we have a new great place to ride thanks to his and a lot of behind the scenes efforts from others. Joe got it done and stepped aside when the time was right. The Club took over in a democratic and at times highly argumentative process. But those arguments are worked out behind closed doors where they should be. The end result is a great place to ride.

Having 15 mountain bikers arguing 15 different opinions in front of management would be a disaster.

mtbr member
    yes

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've never done lift assisted riding, but part of the reason is b/c of the distance of travel to any parks. Once this gets up and running I may just have to give it a try as it will only be about a 2.5 hr drive or less. I also agree that having IMBA involved can only be good. I wish you all success and hopefully I'll be riding up in that area in the near future.
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    YES YES YES YES YES YESSSSS!!!!!!!plus a handfull of other votes from SE Pa/and northern delaware
    so this is how you add a signature!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am very excited to look and see how many of you go on this forum. This is good. There is another site much closer to express your views so we can examine all the wants and needs that you riders want out of the resort.This site is www.bikevmb.com. Don't worry about the type of riding you'll be put on. There is plenty of time. And there will be a design layout in order. And ther will be experienced designers laying it out.

What everyone should do that is 100% interested, is. let them know where your from, state,town, etc.
    If you would buy a season pass,
    If you would come the entire weekend.
    if you would get lodging.
    if you race or just freeride.
    if you'd want to take lessons.
    Do you have kids that ride. does all your family ride.
    what part of mtn biking is your favorite. xc. dirt jumping. freeriding, racing-downhill, racing dual slalom etc...
    You all have great comments. And the communication is very helpful to building a foundation of needs and wants.

Yes, they are busy making snow and having skiers and boarders spreading it around. But in the backgrounds there are meetings being held (privately) and they are focusing on a big picture. Go onto www.bikevmb.com and show the riders who have patiently worked very hard for what they have in that area, who knows you might even beone of them who took part in making it a very successful place to ride. I don't know. But that is the host website for now and direct all your comments whether negative or positive to them there.

We will have a new resort to ride in the tri-state yes. They'll be even more resorts getting in on it . Blue Mountain is a big deal with a large scale of investments and is not looking to just throw some trails down the mtn and call it a day. It's gonna be fun, and you'll have a blast....
    www.bikevmb.com/members/jimdellavalle
    Last edited by Jim Dellavalle; 01-17-2008 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

>>>>>>

don't eat your words young gun....many fun times are had at diablo.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

save salisbury trails

january 22nd town meeting in salisbury township office. come ther bring other riders andther kids and granmothers... they are proposing an atv trail along the bottom of salisbury trails.... this could devestate all the trail building done already by letting them slip out and well if you havent had trails wrecked by atv's yet. it only takes one of them to rip the hell out of what took five years or so in the making.... go to the www.bikevmb.com site for more info on the meeting right now.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hopefully, the plan will include a really well designed UCI World Cup influenced XC course. Then they could get some of my money.

Oh, dare to dream.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    Hopefully, the plan will include a really well designed UCI World Cup influenced XC course. Then they could get some of my money.

Oh, dare to dream.
    The best thing you could do is get out there and volunteer yourself- decisions are made by the willing!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    your living in the wrong area if your looking to avoid rocks! or maybe switch to tubeless

im all for a bike park though
    Josh Reger
    Service Manager/Suspension Specialist
    Saucon Valley Bikes, Hellertown PA

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Regerfab
    your living in the wrong area if your looking to avoid rocks! or maybe switch to tubeless

im all for a bike park though
    I just made the switch. Thanks for the nice work, Regerfab!

Check out my snow ride thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    heck yes, speaking for myself and 10-15 others from west jersey and eastern pa

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For those of you who haven't been to Blue Mountain, it's not small mountain, it's got quite a bit of vert as I remember it.

I always wondered why they didn't open for freeriding, the mountain is perfect for it.

I can't wait to ride the joint this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    WOW, a new resort that would be awesome! I would definitely be down, along with 3 friends I always ride with!
    -Ryan
    -polished SC Bullit .2
    -handbuilt 29er rigid

O-rings for servicing Fox DHX coil shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm from Central Jersey but my mother lives 5 minutes from Blue Mt. I've snowboarded there a lot and always wanted the mountain to have downhilling. It has some steep sections and would be fast and fun. It might be tough to build and maintain. The Diablo crew is awesome and makes it look easy. I'm sure the Blue crew will learn fast. I can speak for at least 5 people who would go. My only question is, wouldn't they have to have races to earn enough money to operate? They may need to do something like that to offset the cost so that they can ask a reasonable entrance fee. Following the Diablo formula would probably be best. I think there are more than enough riders for both parks.

PMBA
    Heck yea. Build it and they will come.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lust4singletrack
    Heck yea. Build it and they will come.
    Diablo has tempted me to try DH, a park at Blue Mt would push me over the edge.

long standing member

Any word on how they're approaching the build?

Are they bringing in experienced DH/FR trail builders? What type of features are they planning on putting in? How many trails are they looking to build for the first year? Anyone got an inside scoop? Yes, I realize that it's still the middle of ski season, but spring is rapidly approaching (although not rapidly enough) and I'm curious as to what'll be in store for us at Blue.

I've been checking Bike VMB because I read here and here that site will be the "clearinghouse" for discussion and info. I don't see anything, though, maybe I'm missing it? An updates on planning/progress would be great. Thanks.

mtbr member

blue

the club is having their meeting on the 13th. they will vote on whether or not to create the parntership and creating a comittee to lead the project. this is ongoing work to talk with lawyers on liability, compensation etc. there will be a committe with riders specializing in what they are good at. there will be team planning etc. Like you had mentioned, the mountain is going crazy trying to make snow and keep it. Timing will be important.

i hope that helps.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    the club is having their meeting on the 13th. they will vote on whether or not to create the parntership and creating a comittee to lead the project. this is ongoing work to talk with lawyers on liability, compensation etc. there will be a committe with riders specializing in what they are good at. there will be team planning etc. Like you had mentioned, the mountain is going crazy trying to make snow and keep it. Timing will be important.

i hope that helps.
    Sounds good, thanks for the info. If you can, keep us up to date on the happenings when they occur. Thanks again.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dellavalle
    What everyone should do that is 100% interested, is. let them know where your from, state,town, etc.
    If you would buy a season pass,
    If you would come the entire weekend.
    if you would get lodging.
    if you race or just freeride.
    if you'd want to take lessons.
    Do you have kids that ride. does all your family ride.
    what part of mtn biking is your favorite. xc. dirt jumping. freeriding, racing-downhill, racing dual slalom etc...
    You all have great comments. And the communication is very helpful to building a foundation of needs and wants.
    I'm in Lancaster, which is about 2hrs to Blue Mtn, so I don't think I'd buy a season pass, that is, unless the trails were totally awesome and I wanted to be there every weekend.

If I came for the weekend I would likely stay at a nearbye State Park, and not the resort or local hotels.

I've only been to Diablo once, loved it, would do it again, but have no interest in racing.

No interest in Lessons, althought it would be really cool to have more progressive drops than what Diablo has (last I was there they had 3 progression drops and 1 big one). I think the hardest thing for me was just getting the cajones to hit a big double or drop that was taller than I am. It be nice to have "staff riders" who just rode the trails and gave you line to follow over bigger stuff, someone to match speed with. That kinda thing.

I ride where ever I can, and usually like trails that have flow, whether they are XC or DH. I ride urban/dj and XC/AM.

For a new park, I wouldn't be wild about paying 150 for a bike rental and ticket. I would kinda hope a new park has trails designed around XC guys trying something new. When I went to Diablo, my Cannondale Prophet couldn't handle speed, it wasn't the drops or jumps, but mostly the high speed turns and really rocky sections that only 8" of travel and disc brakes can handle.

I'd really like to see trails that were more smooth (possibly using beginner ski slopes), but had jumps and berms ala 4X/DS. That stuff is fun!

Also, can you convince VMB to add a Blue Mountain Section so we can catch updates?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    that'll be sweet if that actually happens. i'd def go.. and know a few guys who would go as well.. keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

That would be awesome! Bike school?

I look forward to seeing more on this!

It would be great to have a local park destination to experience a totally different experience than the local trail. A place where I could hone my bike skills and possibly have a few core skill classes.

Tony

Rip
    Broken
    I'd be up for it.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

mtbr member
    Any updates now that the season is over? Waiting patiently
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

3 "fiddy" for short
    Yea, me too. Scott, call me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000cx
    patiently
    Good thing you have patience...

mtbr member
    finally have an initial date to just get talks started. will post post meeting discussion last week of april. Hope to have good news.

PMBA
    That's great news. These things take time. I'm sure you know about the summit.

PA mtb Summit
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The Vermont Mountain Bike Association are hosting the '2008 Mountain Bike Summit' in Stowe, VT, from May 7-9. This is a thee day training program for resorts to share their experiences and learn the best practice methods for resort based riding. Workshops will be presented by IMBA and Kona Bike Parks. We have just added Gravity Logic from Whistler, B.C. to our list of workshop presenters, which is a huge addition to the event! You can link to the registration page at www.vmba.org. Thanks, Patrick

Dirt Diva Little h

Any news about Blue Mtn.?

Is there any new reports about the progress at Blue Mtn?
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0