mtbr member

PMBA checks out, becomes SEPTR?

I saw this on the old PMBA website today. I'm not trolling or anything, but is there a MTB voice/advocacy for the Wiss now? If someone wants to protect MTB intrests in Wiss, where do you go? FOW?

IMO - an organization like SEPTR is good for the region, there are a lot of areas that don't seem to have an organized group handling trail development/maintenance/construction. Also it will be nice to have centralized info and maps of the areas around SEPA (I think their website was still under construction b/c the maps section seems kind of messed up).
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I met the SEPTR people recently. Hopefully, the rebranding will serve us all well. PMBA has been disorganized and ill-run for quite a while.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I met the SEPTR people recently. Hopefully, the rebranding will serve us all well. PMBA has been disorganized and ill-run for quite a while.
    uh - its the same people running it.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I was hoping to give them the benefit of the doubt...
    otherwise " meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Same board = same b.s. Too much ego involved to let some new blood truly start fresh. meh.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    so we are giving up on this (and throwing out general internet disapproval) before it even gets rolling?

c'mon guys. maybe the way to make it better this time is to get involved.

if you ain't gonna get involved; stop yer b!tchin...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So Bear Creek in Macungie is considered Southeastern PA? News to me since I'm a local and helped build those trails.....their work boundaries seem a bit aggressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling View Post
    So Bear Creek in Macungie is considered Southeastern PA? News to me since I'm a local and helped build those trails.....
    So you're the sadistic bastard...everytime I ride there I leave bloodied.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    It's how IMBA's slicing up their club representation in the state. I don't think SEPTR's out to jump anyone's claim. But if they are, they'd best be mindfull of the folks that worked out trail systems and nurtured relationships with land managers prior to there being an IMBA charter club in the region.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    It's how IMBA's slicing up their club representation in the state. I don't think SEPTR's out to jump anyone's claim. But if they are, they'd best be mindfull of the folks that worked out trail systems and nurtured relationships with land managers prior to there being an IMBA charter club in the region.
    I would have thought that it would fall under Valley Mountain Bikers from an IMBA standpoint. That said, its private property so Bear Creek Mountain Resort has the final word in any case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nox, too?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    So Bear Creek in Macungie is considered Southeastern PA? News to me since I'm a local and helped build those trails.....their work boundaries seem a bit aggressive.
    C'mon.

The first map (here), conveniently labeled "boundaries," clearly shows in green the area for which they are the IMBA chapter.

Below the boundaries map are maps of various trail maps. Most of them are in SEPTR's area, but Bear Creek and Seven Springs in western PA obviously are not. I don't see how having more information is hurting anyone. I seriously doubt that posting trail maps means they're trying to "jump anyone's claim."

I personally think it's in MTBers' interest to have a functional IMBA chapter in the region. So I hope SEPTR succeeds, and I'm going to give them time to prove themselves.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    C'mon.

The first map (here), conveniently labeled "boundaries," clearly shows in green the area for which they are the IMBA chapter.

Below the boundaries map are maps of various trail maps. Most of them are in SEPTR's area, but Bear Creek and Seven Springs in western PA obviously are not. I don't see how having more information is hurting anyone. I seriously doubt that posting trail maps means they're trying to "jump anyone's claim."

I personally think it's in MTBers' interest to have a functional IMBA chapter in the region. So I hope SEPTR succeeds, and I'm going to give them time to prove themselves.
    My point is, its a huge region that overlaps an already existing IMBA chapter. Who determines the 'boundaries?' I don't personally care all that much about a turf war, but I am curious about who decides how much a chapter can handle. VMB has been around far longer and has had trail days at Bear Creek when it was still Doe Mountain, so that is why I even asked. Carry on, and have fun. Ill just go ride my bike now.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    I would have thought that it would fall under Valley Mountain Bikers from an IMBA standpoint. That said, its private property so Bear Creek Mountain Resort has the final word in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    C'mon.

the key word being "Chapter" as opposed to club... I think that more advocacy is always a good thing; let's hope that everyone can work together to improve conditions in the area.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    No doubt.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    The real question is: "Why is this happening, there is an underlying story yet to be told?

I love organized dis-functionality!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    The real question is: "Why is this happening, there is an underlying story yet to be told?

I love organized dis-functionality!
    Obviously, PMBA/SEPTR are not doing a very good job of telling their story. Seems like they might need more than a little help on the PR/Social Media side of things to explain what's going on, why and what their big picture is. Right now, all we have is internet b¡tching and paranoia... which, given what little I have heard about the history of PMBA, may or may not be justified. So far, there's little but crickets: the website hasn't been updated in a month; there appears to be very little outreach and no "events" on their calendar. If I were involved, I'd want to let everyone in the world know what's going on so that I could bolster the membership, energize people to not only get out and ride, but come out for trail days, skills training, beer drinking or whatever else people in mountain bike clubs do to build camaraderie and excitement within their communities.

You would think that they would have someone monitoring major forums so that they could capitalize on opportunities like this thread presents to make the best of their rebranding...

mtbr member
    I rode Bear Creek for the first time in a couple of years two weeks ago...kudos, my friend. Those trails are sweet...not sure why it had been so long, but I won't wait so long again.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    ^Yes, I see there is change, and having been there myself with others who didn't want to go forward, the right thing to do was step out, regroup with like minded individuals who looked ahead.

Of course I'm not being negative towards either of the groups maybe good will come from this. It is a big thing keeping all this going and credit to all who ride, race, help or just support what we all like to do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I rode Bear Creek for the first time in a couple of years two weeks ago...kudos, my friend. Those trails are sweet...not sure why it had been so long, but I won't wait so long again.
    Thanks, but please note I only said I helped with them. Many good people put in many hours to get them going, and then Bear Creek has put in many more to keep them going. Do them a favor, get the trail use pass at the front desk and then have a meal and a beer after the ride. Support those businesses that support us!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm on the SEPTR board, but I'm just speaking for myself here, not the group. I'm not going to get into a big online debate, I just want to give another perspective.

For me, the change from PMBA to SEPTR made sense for two primary reasons. First, IMBA made PMBA the regional chapter covering parts of 5 counties, not just Philly. Calling ourselves the Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association wasn't accurate any more. The new name reflects the new regional focus.

Second, PMBA was dying. What had been a big, vibrant group before 2010 was, by 2012, a dozen burned-out board members and a trailer full of tools. One option was to fold the tents and go home, but folding would leave the region without an IMBA group, maybe for a long time. IMBA didn't want that and neither did we. Another option was a fresh start: new name, new group, new mission, make a clear break from PMBA's past and all the feuding. After talking with lots of riders from around the region (including riders who didn't support PMBA), the idea that emerged was to focus on regional MTB advocacy and assisting local trail groups, emulating MORE's successful model.

So for me SEPTR reflects a major change of direction away from PMBA's past, not just a name change. The current SEPTR board is very different from the 2010 PMBA board. I expect that turnover to continue. I'm not one of the old guard, but I'll gladly step aside too to clear space for new blood, and I know others on the board feel the same way. Hell, if new folks with energy and enthusiasm and a commitment to promoting IMBA's mission don't step up, SEPTR's future ain't much brighter than PMBA's was.

For me, the bottom line is trails. Keep them open, keep them fun, add new ones. Protecting and expanding trail access is less likely if we don't have a strong IMBA chapter. And a strong IMBA chapter needs people who get involved, who want to help fix problems instead of sniping from the sidelines.

Get in touch if you want to help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nicely said! As a board member of BAMBA I can say that the IMBA chapter program has done wonders for our riding area and riders! giving us a voice and the backing of a major organization.local land managers have taken notice,Berks County parks and the Conservancy have welcomed us with open arms and have given us authority on Mtn bike usage trails,infrastructure and maintenance.the City of Reading which owns a significant portion of our ridable land is now starting to work with us and expect that they will soon be on board.we are proposing some really nice new added features to already some very excellent terrain and trails!

Not bad considering we are only about six months into our chapter have over 100 members and have had very positive feedback from land managers and community.we have a great bunch of dedicated guys on the board all get along well and each bring something to the table,so far this has been an easy transition and working with IMBA has been friction free! congrats SEPTA,and wish you all of success with your new chapter!