Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pmba?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pmba?

Open positive conversations to disscuss the forming of a PMBA "Pa Mt Bikiing Association" involving all areas of Pa. Divided into 4 areas NE, NW, SE, SW. With a Rep or Group to cover all aspects of work in thier own area.

mtbr member

PMBA is taken

Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (PMBA)

However, it would be a good idea to have a state wide association to present a "united front" and voice of the MTB community.

dz
    I Crash Therefor I Am!!![SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Now broadcasting from CO
    I think it is a very good idea. I get a sense (from reading posts on this board) that there is not enough communication between the advocacy bodies that are most prevalent in the four areas that you mentioned. I feel that If we had one sort of "umbrella organization" that watched over all four areas in PA then we would get a lot more done and be able to coordinate efforts more effectively. I am all for the creation of PMBA, but I am not at a place in my life (still in college) where I could undertake a leadership role in the organization. I wouldn't know who to nominate for that position, but I would obviously start by talking to all the organizations. My local one (SE PA) is PAth. Good luck and I am more than willing to lend my support whenever needed.

-Jake
    Brought to you by rocks.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I would do it, but I'm already the founder, president, and treasurer of NEPMCPMBA....

--Roy

(Thats North End Pottstown Montgomery County Pennsylvania Mountain Biking Association)

sambabiker.com
    Why not resurrect KMBA (Keystone Mountain Bike Association)? We need to ban all PA mountain bikers/clubs together in an umbrella organization.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think it's a great idea too.

Maybe call it the United Mountain Bikers of Pa.

Mike
    Mike

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Im sure NMBA (nittany mt bike assoc) here in the state college area would be happy to be part of it.
    Kevin
    prez NMBA

mtbr member

I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by barnold74
    Why not resurrect KMBA (Keystone Mountain Bike Association)? We need to ban all PA mountain bikers/clubs together in an umbrella organization.

Brian

I think it is a great idea, or new old idea, or maybe just better timing,

Mike, Brian, Matt, that's 3 from SAMBA (or maybe the Lancaster Lebanon chapter)

Matt

mtbr member
    Check out www.nemba.org (New England Mountain Bikers Association) for a model. Extremely successful group.

mtbr member
    we tried it 3 times. The response generally was "i have my local trails and that's plenty to do"

maybe the time is right to try it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Hackamo
    we tried it 3 times. The response generally was "i have my local trails and that's plenty to do"

maybe the time is right to try it again.
    OK, time to respond here... I see we have some big players stepping up, Great!

Everyone can still have all the local work they want, that never goes away... boring! I'm sure sharing ideas wouldn't hurt though. Maybe a mega once a year gathering somewhere in the state hosted by a club one year then by another the next year spreading it around to all. Tell me no one here wouldn't go for that. Not that the local club has to foot the bill. Hey Joe, get IMBA to dig up some state money for this, call it "research" You could put IMBA's name all over it!

I have been to gatherings by ATV and Motorcycle clubs following this concept. In NY and PA so it's not like it was in Vegas. Some started out as 15 guys and a few pizzas and grown to thousands with manufacturer sponsorship. They didn't have to ask the manufacturers to attend! The manufacturers asked them if it was ok to bring new quads for all to demo. Hum? naw... I don't want to ride new stuff for free...Heck there's a circuit you can follow of this kind of stuff not just one place once a year! I know there are bicycle festivals here too and they rock we would try not to step on their toes! Tell me that huge of a voice wouldn't be heard out there in the big bicycle trail world!

Here we are all within hours of each other and get to ride, play, talk, and b1t6h about stuff we hate or like! Not too hard on the gas monster as we all travel in the summer to hit most of these trails anyway.

I'm not just thinking on a trail maintenance, repair, design basis meeting. Let's make it everything. Let's think big from the start. Although I did hear the trail builders conference might be in PA this year? At the Wis! Would this work as a first timer? Dave? You lurking?

Lee Curry
    NEPMTBA

You guys might want to look at how Ohio (www.joinomba.org) and Indiana (www.hmba.org) pulled it off. Both groups started out as nothing...just a hodgepodge of local clubs. Each one went about it in a different way.

In Indiana, one club renamed itself the Hoosier Mt Biking Assoc. Started out as mostly local Indianapolis stuff, but they forged relationships with existing clubs and they've got trail projects in different parts of the state, all with local riders/chapters heading them up. It still doesn't quite cover all corners of the state, but they make progress as time goes on. Indiana started on this path later than Ohio did, so they've got a little lag in the process.

In Ohio, there were a few large clubs and a few smaller clubs to start with. The larger clubs got together with the smaller ones and created the Ohio Mountain Bike Association in name only. They had a website with the club names, a forum for all clubs, and links to local club websites. All local clubs maintained their local identity and membership and all that for quite a few years. Club leaders periodically got together to chat up issues and they eventually hashed out a plan to pull all the clubs together on an official level. Now, OMBA is the official club with chapters in Cleveland, Columbus, Zanesville, Athens, Dayton, Cincy, and Mansfield (the home bases of the original clubs).

Looks to me like something similar to what Ohio did might work for PA. Start out with something simple and unobtrusive...a website with a forum, links to individual clubs, and something that really drives site traffic...race/festival calendars, blogs, some sort of trails database (a user-review driven system where folks can submit a review, a couple photos, and a map to get the trail listed on the page). From there, use the site to network riders from across PA. It'll take some time, but once you have those connections and relationships, you'll be able to start working on something official.

I don't know how Michigan (www.mmba.org) formed their statewide org (it's been around longer than I've been riding), but it's another example of a successful organization (yes, they have a paid director). They have an example of a site that would provide incentive for folks to visit the site, use the forum, and forge relationships. I have yet to see a trail conditions page as informative as the one offered by the MMBA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think this is a great idea, and would gladly donate my services as webmaster to this project if wanted. An example of past experience can be found at http://www.bikevmb.com.

Bob

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbaSS
    I think this is a great idea, and would gladly donate my services as webmaster to this project if wanted. An example of past experience can be found at http://www.bikevmb.com.

Bob
    dumbaSS & NateHawk:

Excellent ideas!

Thanks for offering up...I can see we have really great minds here and the ball is rolling. Feel free to start a website! We need to have a name as far as Pmba that is taken by the Philly bunch. It doesn't matter to me. PMTBA? PMBC? KMBA? Keystone Mt Bike Association works... Does anyone know if there is any club already called by this name? We can definitely do this!

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    it might be helpful to contact Jeff Mergler, the Executive Director over at JORBA (www.jorba.org), as a similar advocacy program was recently restructured in New Jersey.

Best of luck!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101
    it might be helpful to contact Jeff Mergler, the Executive Director over at JORBA (www.jorba.org), as a similar advocacy program was recently restructured in New Jersey.

Best of luck!
    Chris spoke with him this past fall. We were at a race so it wasn't proper to open conversation there, but they agreed we would meet in the spring.

banned
    I think cooperation between the groups is a great idea for such things as advocacy, as well as construction and maintenance and disaster repair.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr0101

Best of luck!
    Chris spoke with him this past fall. We were at a race so it wasn't proper to open conversation there, but they agreed we would meet in the spring.

mtbr member
    I like the idea, and my vote would be for KMBA as a name, though the logo needs some work. I suspect that Mountain Bikers of Michaux would be interested in participating. I'll bring this up at our annual meeting this winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Also check out PORC (Pittsburgh Off Road Cyclists) www.porcmtbclub.org (has forums as well)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Why are we checking out porc? kegstands?

i'll catch some grief over that, but there's a few folks left that can remember and laugh with me. big club, with good comunications, and best of all - lots of betties!

anyway, i'm just popping my head in to let joe and everyone else know i'm gonna stick my head in the sand this time. i'm already getting on people's bad side this winter as it is.

ah, what the hell am i saying?!?! we all know i'll be there spouting off f-bomb posts left and right. but yeah, we probably need the organization. we've always needed it, but as a whole we just don't care enough cause we have so much. but i'm not getting started on that here.

have fun!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    Why are we checking out porc? kegstands?

i'll catch some grief over that, but there's a few folks left that can remember and laugh with me. big club, with good comunications, and best of all - lots of betties!

anyway, i'm just popping my head in to let joe and everyone else know i'm gonna stick my head in the sand this time. i'm already getting on people's bad side this winter as it is.

ah, what the hell am i saying?!?! we all know i'll be there spouting off f-bomb posts left and right. but yeah, we probably need the organization. we've always needed it, but as a whole we just don't care enough cause we have so much. but i'm not getting started on that here.

have fun!
    DID SOMEONE SAY KEGSTANDS???

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    f this and f that big guy, i just sent you a text.

i heard something about kegstands. but i'm a lightweight and all the betties would find someone else to hook their redheaded friends up with.

alas, my life sucks.

I'm more of a dog person

PAMBA or PAMTB

Is it me, or is everyone missing the obvious choices for a name here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    aye, but you would need a history lesson to understand why the names being suggested are being suggested.

f this and f that, f you and f me too!

there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast