mtbr member
    May 2006

Places to ski in NE PA

Ok, kind of an odd topic for a MTB forum, but I am looking for nice steep power or gaslines, or anywhere else that some turns could be had. Anyone have any ideas?

I rode at Merli Sarnoski this summer and was thinking HR 280 might be interesting. I only rode part of the way down. Has anyone been up there? Is there enough snow to cover the rocks?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_r_reese
    Ok, kind of an odd topic for a MTB forum, but I am looking for nice steep power or gaslines, or anywhere else that some turns could be had. Anyone have any ideas?

I rode at Merli Sarnoski this summer and was thinking HR 280 might be interesting. I only rode part of the way down. Has anyone been up there? Is there enough snow to cover the rocks?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Dan:

There are lots of power lines and gas lines in the area, but they are private property! I XC Ski at Francis Slocum due to the fact it's ok to ski there. There is a gasline at Francis Slocum. I think your looking for something that is clear of weeds and small trees. The gaslines usually have growth on them even in winter.

Try XC Skiing in the park? There are fields and hills there that work great for XC Skiing. I ski the Mt. Bike trails because I want the technical skill and balance training it provides. The trails are so tight they keep me off balance alot. I'm using it for training for Motorcycle Trials.You can ski "ALL" the trails at the park, unlike Mt Biking where only certain trails are open to bikes. Take note the sun has melted a lot of the snow really fast.

Lee
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Lee. It has been warm here in Central PA, we lost a ton of snow today. I will check out Francis Slocum.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_r_reese
    Thanks Lee. It has been warm here in Central PA, we lost a ton of snow today. I will check out Francis Slocum.
    Dan:

I didn't know you were from Central Pa. I thought you were local.

Here's some local stuff. Hubbard is the place to ask question about Merli Sarnoski, Prompton Dam, and Lackawanna SP.

http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

Francis Slocum

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

Let's us know when your coming to ride and we can hook you up with the local good stuff here.

Lee
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Try Crystal Lake Ski Center, www.crystallakeskicenter.com NE of Williamsport. They're at a high elevation, and they get snow when other locations get rain, and because of their elevation and topography the snow stays around longer. They have very nice XC trails, all skill levels covered.

There's a small abandoned (unused in this case) downhill ski slope on their property, that is easily accessible from the XC trails (or you can just drive 1/2 mile back on the access road and park by it), and it's clear to use with the $15 XC day ticket.

Edit: Trail Map here: http://www.crystallakeskicenter.com/trailmap2.html

mtbr member
    May 2006
    XCoalMiner,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been up to Crystal Lake, it's a fun place. My brother was there on Monday and said conditions were super. I'm coming up from Harrisburg to Scranton to visit the in-laws, so I was looking for something closer to Scranton.

Dan

ganginwood
    dan,
    forget slocum. its not what your looking for. all xc. i saw your posts on the other website. if you want to tele and make some turns send me a pm with your digits. some friends cut a lot of glades and have plenty of angles. although the crust under the first few inches limited the steeper stuff.

like you, we lost quite a bit of snow. i'm not sure how its going to be. unless we get a fresh coat you might be limited to kicking around.

we had 25+ inches last weekend and were able to ski through just about anything.
    if you want to kick and slide then you might want to hook up with the guys at slocum.
    Last edited by ganginwood; 02-22-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

other options

Good point Kevin.

Other options (but the best conditions are in the past) are the woods off Church rd in Mtop. For those familiar with the Bear Claw mtn biking parking lot, the downhill just up the trail was great skiing on Monday. It's pretty steep and clear enough to lay down some good tele turns. A helmet is recommended! You can follow my tracks to find the good stuff.

Another great place is the Powerhouse near White Haven. Usually skied at night with headlights. Nice path to the top, lots of options thru the trees into a meadow. Again, helmet recommended.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    dan, I took XC from reading your first post, didn't realize you were asking about tele skiing.