mtbr member

Places to ride near Punxsutawney.

Are there any trails near Punxsy? I ride on the rails to trials with my wife and kids, however I would like to ride someplace a little more technical then the trail. I find it hard to believe that with all of the game lands in the area that there are no biking trails in the area. I have been looking but the closest I can find are on the other side of Indiana, PA and toward Clearfield. Thank you for all of the help.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Have camped/fished/raced/ridden at Clear Creek state park many times. Right off the main park road there are trails, even a trail 2 miles through the forest to Beartown Rocks, a place that must be seen by all.

Beartown Rocks - Clear Creek State Park - Cook Forest

Cook Forest state forest has mtb trails also!

check out Pa Wilds
    PA Wilds - PA Wilds

Home | BIKE THE WILDS 2013

I just threw this one in for good info on near areas:
    Pennsylvania Dirt

You might want to PM swampboy62 he's got lots of info on Western Pa/Ohio
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Places to ride near Punxsutawney.-sany0093_900x900.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks NEPMTBA. I will most likely be hitting up clear creek and blue knob in the near future. The closest trail that you sent was about 55 minutes away. I am looking for something a little closer still. I would like a place I could hop into a car and be there in 30 Minutes or less. Maybe I was just spoiled while I lived in Newport News VA. There I had several to chose from within 15 minutes. I am sure there is something close with all of the game lands around. There is not even a local bike shop I can go to here to see where to ride. I wonder if I can talk to the game commission to see if there are any trails around? I would even be willing to start some sort of non-profit organization to take care of a trail. Has anyone here done something like that? I would not even know where or how to start.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Yes, I agree closer would be great for you, and yes lots of us have worked to get a trail or two going. You could look to IMBA.org or contact your local city. You have a great idea, so the process is already started. Here's the Pa State Gamelands site: State Game Lands Check the "DESIGNATED ROUTES for Horses and Bicycles" in your area. They have mostly short distance trails or dirt roads, but they might spawn something! Remember to respect the hunters. I think your idea to start an organization and trail is a great one! +1 rep.

Heck I might even show up and help ya dig!

Here on mtbr.com we have a "trail builders forum" Trail Building and Advocacy you can read lots of info and ask for help there also.

Here's one: How to begin building trails (permissions)

mtbr member
    Thanks again NEPMTBA. I checked out the state game lands page you sent me and I will go riding around next week when I get back from visiting my sister in Reading. There are a few close to me, and one of them I even do a little hunting in. Maybe I will find something.

I e-mailed IMBA with several questions about starting a trail in an area without one. I will let you know what I come up with.

I did not have a chance yet to deeply read the forums on building a trail here at mtbr yet, but I did skim through it and it looks like good stuff. I will have more time through out the week when I am visiting my sister.

I do have several questions - When you say contact your local city, what exactly do you mean? I am not sure what I would ask them.

Has anyone had any experience working with the PA game commission with having trails on the state game lands? I am guessing this will most likely be answered after I read the forums in NEPMTBA's above post, but I figured I would let it be known I am curious.

And lastly does anyone know any good trails close to reading PA you would recommend? They would have to be close to Reading. I am not even sure I will get a chance to ride while visiting my sister, but just in case I want to be prepared. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm new to mountain biking, don't even have the bike yet. There is supposed to be trails on rockton mountain and at parker dam.

Mountain Bike Trails in Dubois, PA - Scout.me

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey, I live in Clearfield and I've been riding the trails at Rockton mountain. I actually have been trying to clear some blowover and other stuff. Some of the trails are pretty fun. Some of them not so much haha, but none of them have been ridden much. Either way if anyone is looking to ride them let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by z0mbi View Post
    Hey, I live in Clearfield and I've been riding the trails at Rockton mountain. I actually have been trying to clear some blowover and other stuff. Some of the trails are pretty fun. Some of them not so much haha, but none of them have been ridden much. Either way if anyone is looking to ride them let me know.
    Have you had any experience with planet bike in DuBois? Want to get into riding, thinking maybe a cheap walmart to test the waters then upgrade if i like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've stopped in there to buy parts, that's about it though. They seem friendly enough. I'm not sure what wal mart bikes are going for these days but you might want to look around and try and pick up a used bike instead. Wal mart bikes probably aren't going to stand up to anything other than street riding and maybe some light trail use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ya, I've been thinking used too. Been checking pennswoods

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Might want to check out pinkbike.com as well. Lot of decent deals on there.