mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Places to ride near Hershey

Hey all,

I was just looking to find some places to ride in or around the Hershey/Harrisburg area. I just moved out here from Pittsburgh. I've been lurking the forums for a little while and have found a few places mentioned, but was looking for some other suggestions/ other ideas. I have heard good things about Swatara and am looking forward to checking it out.

I am relatively new to mountain biking but have a bmx background from my younger days. So I'm always looking for a challenge.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Mt. Gretna off Pinch Road just north of the Lancaster/Lebanon County line isn't that far east of Hershey. Watch where you ride though - some of its Game Lands closed to riding while other trails on park property are hiker only.

A lot of what is open to mtbrs is good though. There's one trail ( I forget its #, that is really techy).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Mt. Gretna, and Camp Mack are both pretty close to Hershey.
    I would be happy to take you around either place. Trail #15 at Gretna is just plain crazy technical riding, but a lot of fun and no hunters. Camp Mack less technical, but Hunters on Saturdays.
    Both are great places to ride. Let me know. I usually ride Saturday and Sunday mornings

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    A-Ray, that would be great. I'm not sure about this weekend but maybe next. I'll get back to you when I see whats going on. Now I am just getting into this so I may not be ready for the super technical trails. haha (Hopefully I'll be ready eventually)

Thanks roxnroots for the reply. I'll have to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If I were in Hershey I'd shoot for Mt. Gretna, Camp Mack, Swatara State Park, and Rattling Creek. Rattling Creek is the farthest, and IMO, the best of the four, although they all offer some great riding. If you want a little bit of a road trip, Mt. Penn (Reading, PA), and French Creek (Elverson, PA) have some great riding. Blue Marsh (also near Reading) has a 33 mile loop around the lake. It's got some good hill climbs, but nothing technical.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Swatara State Park - great place if you are just starting out.

+ you can add the rail-trail for extra miles.

+ nearer hospital.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Swatara State Park.

www.SAMBAbiker.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali_Pine
    Swatara State Park - great place if you are just starting out.
    Yes, a great place for new riders. But also a lot of fun for experienced riders. It all depends on how you ride it. Although I usually prefer more technical riding, I had a blast there! I'll definitely be back.

mtbr member
    Shoot me a pm if you would like some company/guide. I too moved to Harrisburg/Hershey from Pittsburg and I ride Mt Gretna and Swatara quite often. I have not been to camp mack but need to check that out, I know that you need a permit of some sort to ride there and I do not have one. There is also Rocky Ridge down in York which is a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can get the $25 per year pass for Camp Mack at Green Mountain Cyclery.
    Should you want to check it out before you spend the money, let me know and I can give you a guided tour of it. That is what I did the first time, and I went and got my pass immediately afterwards. Well worth it if you ask me! I will probably be riding Gretna Saturday am, and then Camp Mack Sunday.
    If anyone wants a guided tour of either place on those days, let me know and I will let you know a time and meeting place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    You can get the $25 per year pass for Camp Mack at Green Mountain Cyclery.
    Should you want to check it out before you spend the money, let me know and I can give you a guided tour of it. That is what I did the first time, and I went and got my pass immediately afterwards. Well worth it if you ask me! I will probably be riding Gretna Saturday am, and then Camp Mack Sunday.
    If anyone wants a guided tour of either place on those days, let me know and I will let you know a time and meeting place.
    If the offer still stands, a friend and I would like to check out Camp Mack on Sunday. Let me know time/place and we can meet up.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Offer still stands.
    My son and I will be at the Pumping Station Road Lot(Rte. 322) at around 9am, with a departure time of around 9:30.
    There may be a few more guys as well with above average riding ability, so I wanted to let you know that depending on your skill level(s). I will be in a newer Blue Civic with a roof rack.
    If you need directions or anything let me know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Now when you say above average ability, I'm not sure if i would be holding you guys back if I came along. I think I would be alright but I don't know how long you ride for and stuff. I'm 22 and in decent shape but if you think another time would be better, then I can wait.

Like I said before, I'm relatively new to this so let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks like you will be just fine with us. Does not look like my other buddies are coming either so it is all good. Ride I "normally" do is around 10 miles.
    Let me know if you are still in or not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Alright sounds good. I'm in then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    See ya tomorrow, I think you will really like it there. A little bit of everything and a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    I will be there also for sure....either a green cherokee or blue subaru.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is there somewhere that I can find directions? Also, if anyone has a shock pump that I could use before the ride, that would be great. I lent mine to a friend that has yet to return it.

I will be in a red jetta, too.
    Last edited by primetime19; 10-16-2010 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Ray
    Looks like you will be just fine with us. Does not look like my other buddies are coming either so it is all good. Ride I "normally" do is around 10 miles.
    Let me know if you are still in or not.
    Be aware that there are 4 trees down
    1 sharp valley
    1 North Valley
    2 Horseshoe

Matt

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A-Ray,

Thanks again for the tour of Camp Mack this morning. Great ride and great workout.

Can you give us a run-down of the trails we rode? I was looking at a map I have and trying to figure out exactly where we rode.