mtbjk

Pittsburgh trip in August

Hi new to the Pennsylvania forums but have been posting on the southeast and IronHorse boards for a few years. I am planning to visit in the Pittsburgh area on the 7th of Auguast through around the 15 or 16 and am hopping to get a few rides in while I am there. I grew up in the Leechburgh area but Have lived in Florida for the past 22 years and try to make it up there every year but havent been able to make it in the past 3 years and am itching to get up there for some good rideing. If anyone in the area would like to hookup for some rideing I do know where some of the trail systems are, Like Roaring Run in Apollo, Dear Lake Park, Boyce Park, North Park, South Park, And Morain State Park. I have heard that Boyce Park has Some really nice trail systems And is not real far from were I will be staying And also HArrison Hills up in the Heights . I like to ride technical single track and some steep drops but dont no what its like compared to Florida and mostly flat land with trail system mainly built on old sulphate minds that dont have any big hills but mostly short steep climbs and drops ,( maybe 30 feet at best )and pleanty of roots and palm medow roots and gardens that can be very technical and have been told by people from up north that they are some of the most technical trails to ride. So anyone willing to help out an old local who is itching to ride some good pittsburgh single track would be appreciated. Please post up and or pm me for more info and maybe a planned ride or two.Thanks in advance for any replies
    Jan R
    Ride On

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Try to get in touch with the University of Pittsburgh cycling club. I would bet that they would know of some good places to ride in the area. I have heard that Frick Park is a pretty technical spot to ride. You could also try to get in touch with a LBS there and see if there are any group rides.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    also check out these guys
    http://www.porcmtbclub.org/

mtbr member
    You would probably like Boyce Park a lot. Boyce is mainly made up of lots of fast, flowing, windy singletrack with a few short steep climbs.

mtbjk
    Ok Boyce Park sounds good but what is the best riding in and around the Pittsburgh area keeping in mind the places that I mentioned in my first post and are there any places that have allot of people riding on weekdays. Trying to plan atleast 2 good days of riding and would like to ride 20 miles plus if possible and hopefully have some local guides if possible. any suggestions are appreciated and anyone wanting to ride please post up or pm me.
    Jan R
    Ride On

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    I'll be in the Burgh in two weeks. I hope to see Boyce, Seven Springs and maybe Wisp in Western Maryland. Seven Springs and Wisp rent bikes, right? Does anyone know if they have quality bikes or should I look around for something else? Any local shops rent? I'm talking multiple days here. Thanks!

Oh, I am also from Florida and pretty much any trail around is going to impress me.

mtbr member
    I dont think seven springs is a DH resort. they do rent bikes but i think the trails are xc with lift access. I only say that b/c you included wisp in the post. Dont take my word but i think i would have heard if 7 springs had dh trails.
    Chance favors the prepared mind

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Actually that's cool because I'm in no way looking for DH stuff. XC is more my thing anyway (coming from Florida). I've heard they've put a lot of money into Wisp in the last few years. I'm not sure what the trails are like there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the 7 springs course is great the 24 hour race in september is on the same trail. There is only a small amount of downhill, the advanced xc loop is 11.6 miles, but I like to do the intermediete loop (5.0 miles) as a warm up then it connects directly to the advanced loop.

Hartwood is a very versitile park, there are some very technical rock gardens, log piles and log rides. Hartwood is only about 5 min from my house (on my bike) so i know just about every trail. I would definetly show you around the park but I am leaving on a MTB trip to Colorado and Utah the 6th and get back the 17th. Hartwood was the park that I learned to MTB. Hartwood is just about the best park to learn in. Hartwood is so good to learn in because you dont know your limits yet, every trail in hartwood comes out to a road that runs through the park.

If you know what you are doing definetly check out Frick Park. I am a mechanic at Pittsburgh Pro Bikes and we have rides going out after work some days. This park provides hours of riding without riding the same trail or coming to a road, unlike hartwood. I have done a 24.7 mile loop in Frick and even though I am a regular to the park there seems to be a new trail every time I am there, (thanks PORC!).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    North park has a nice ride, also their is the furnace trail that rides to lawrenceville and waterfront (nothing like stopping at starbucks in the waterfront during your ride).

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    So, I wanted to post this for other out-of-towners like myself who might be looking to ride in the area:

I rode two days in the Pittsburgh area. Up first was in the Maryland panhandle with family. I rented a Trek 4300 from High Mountain Sports at Deep Creek Lake. The four hour rental was $20 and the guys were cool and installed my pedals I brought, no problem. I headed out to check out the new Action Sports Center International they just completed near Wisp. It's a self-contained white water rafting/kayaking center. Picture Raging Rapids at Kennywood on steroids. They operate a trail near the Yough called Fork Run that allows rafters access to the river. I rode uphill for about 2 hours (tough, coming from Florida) and it took about 15 minutes to ride back down. The trail was mostly rocky doubletrack, but was challenging enough to keep me happy.

My second ride was at Seven Springs. I rented a Kona Blast from the resort for another $20. I hadn't been there in 6-8 years, so finding the rental center took awhile. It's in the ski patrol building at the bottom of the valley, near the maintenance building. The college kids working there were very nice, but it was clear they do see many serious riders renting bikes there. The singletrack is all at the top of the hill and you get a chair lift pass, but that wasn't why I went, so I got the bike dialed in and rode straight up the hill on the maintenance road. I'm sure I earned plenty of strange looks in the process. Once you reach the single track it is very well marked and there is a nice, flat rock garden to try. I'm not sure how many miles of trails there are, maybe 10 in all, and they all flow together, so I rode most of them twice.

Neither trail was anything to write home about, but the convenience of renting and riding in one day made it worth it. Next time I hope to have my own bike and more time to ride in Western PA, but it made a great first impression!

mtbr member
    hey, it sounds like you missed most of the good trails up at 7 Springs. when i ride 7 springs we park at the top on the one slope that overlooks the lodge, you'll see a lake up there. thats where the 24 hour race course starts. i dont know how well the trails are marked right now, maybe thats why you didnt ride all the good stuff. i think the 24 hour course is about 14 miles long and there is a lot of other little side trails that you can also do. i think 7 springs is one of the better riding destinations in the area, you'll have to come back soon and make sure you ride all the trails.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    I'm sure that's where I was. I went around the lake 3-4 times. I saw a lot of markings indicating racing had taken place there. Up near the paintball area. The trails are very well marked and maintained. Prolly the best signs I've ever seen, actually. The trails I rode were Boulder Line and Furnace Creek, or something starting with an "F". Since they all loop together I ended up riding back and forth along many of them. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't as long as I would have liked. Maybe I missed some of it, I don't know. Overall I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

You missed a lot

TGA,

You actually only rode about 1/20th of the rideable terrain around the general seven springs area. Too bad. The top section strung together with the race couse offers a nice 14-16 mile loop.

Seven springs offers decent XC riding, but there is more appealing riding just a short drive north or south.

Anyone visiting the area owes it to themself to try Laurel Mountain on Route 30 just north of the PA Turnpike. Very technical XC riding, many miles. 25 minutes north of 7 springs

South of Rt 40 in Forbes State Forest, is Quebec Run Wild Area. About 25 minutes south of The PA turnpike. This is a true gem and offers a challenge for even the best XC riders and racers. The outer loop (Tebolt-rankin-hess-miller-millrun) is a very challenging 14 miles.

While you are in that area, Big bear lake WV south of 68 gives you all access and a map for 5 bucks a day. The owner is a rider and they have miles upon miles upon miles of perferctly maincured single track.

All in all seven springs is great if you are local (I ride from my house), but still drive to the goods at least once a week.

Buzz me for more infor

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian A
    TGA,

You actually only rode about 1/20th of the rideable terrain around the general seven springs area. Too bad. The top section strung together with the race couse offers a nice 14-16 mile loop.
    Oh man, that figures.

I was pretty much stuck to riding within Seven Springs because of the rental situation. I'm sure I could have snuck the bike out in the car, but I was only there for an afternoon anyway. I really hope I have my own bike with me next time so I can check out all the other great spots. It seems you can't throw a rock in PA without hitting a great trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

You can rent in Pittsburgh too

www.trekofpgh.com

All sorts of rentals 30-40 a day. 29ers, 6 inch travel bikes, etc...

I recommend a 29er for Laurel and springs. Its like Cheating.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian A
    www.trekofpgh.com

All sorts of rentals 30-40 a day. 29ers, 6 inch travel bikes, etc...

I recommend a 29er for Laurel and springs. Its like Cheating.
    OH SON OF A....

I really would have liked to try that. Next time... next time...