Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions

I am wondering if anyone has ridden any trails in the Pittsburgh area recently that are rideable. I attempted to ride Boyce yesterday, but it was not rideable. The trails are a complete swamp. I would think that it has weeks before it is rideable.
    Safe Riding

The White Jeff W

Re: Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions

I live a couple miles from Bradys Run. I haven't been to the park but my backyard is wet & muddy. Probably need a good solid week of warm dry weather before anything is ready
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Frick is a swamp. Unfortunately it usually stays that way until the trees start sucking up the water.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Rode bushy run battlefield (30 miles east of pgh) yesterday. Really soupy. Hopefully by the end of the month stuff starts to warm up and dry out.

mtbr member
    I walked the dog at North Park the other day and the ground was pretty soft. I think North Park dries out faster than Boyce. Also I've heard Riverview stays rideable more often than not.
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I also live close to Bradys run and tried riding it today, no good. Even in the higher areas it had like 4" of just mush.
    2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29'er

The White Jeff W

Re: Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by 03sierraslt View Post
    I also live close to Bradys run and tried riding it today, no good. Even in the higher areas it had like 4" of just mush.
    I hiked up there today. Definitely some soft spots but its improved a lot since yesterday. A couple more days of dry weather and I think it will be ready!

If you haven't already you should join the BABES facebook group. We post trail conditions, rides, maintenance parties, etc there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/babeclub.beaver/
    No moss...

mtbr member
    "babeclub.beaver"?

I have to say, I was expecting more...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    "babeclub.beaver"?

I have to say, I was expecting more...

LOL. Beaver Area Bicycle Enthusiasts
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I went into the trails about 100 yrds and called it quits.

mtbr member
    North Park might have been ridable first thing this morning. Afternoon was kinda soft, with occasional bouts of mud freezing to the frame and pedals. Not a terribly irresponsible ride, but not a terribly pleasant one either.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Reports that Bavington was pretty good today.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    South park has some good spots and other areas are REAL bad (F###en Horses). Since I live across the street from the park I decided to scout areas today and make a new path. Is this allowed? I get bored riding the same path over and over. and there is just so much woods and hardly any trails. This is on the Twin Hills side of the park off of Stoltz Road if people are famalier with the area.

mtbr member
    It is good to hear that trails are improving slightly. I heard Boyce took a baby step in the rideable direction. As far as making your own trails, I would think that the caretakers of the trails would prefer you involve them.
    Safe Riding

The White Jeff W
    Deceided to roll the dice & drive up to Moraine yesterday. I figured if the trails were bad I could do 15 miles on the greenway next to the lake. Turns out it was great. There was no snow and very little mud. The ground was still frozen and the rocks were dry and grippy. It was in the 50's when I finished and I could feel some of the tread starting to soften up in places but for that one day it was awesome. Warm weather and rain in the forecast so it will probably be a mess soon like everywhere else

Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions-uploadfromtaptalk1395171408899.jpg
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 03-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Went back to Moraine Wednesday to cut out some trees that have been blocking the trails for several months. It was still pretty good. It couldve been ridden. The ground seemed to be mostly thawed but still firm with a few random muddy spots in areas where its always wet. Since then its rained a couple times so I dont know how it is now but it seems like its gonna be ready before anything else in the area.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I may have to check out Moraine someday, never ridden there trail wise. I used to go there when i was little but never to mountain bike. I also want to check out North Park, I just never have time to venture out much other then closer to home.

The White Jeff W
    Both places kick ass! I need to explore North Park more. I only know the trail that starts at the ice arena. Ive only scratched the surface. Moraine is pretty challenging. Its a trail building masterpiece.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    From my dog walks over the last few days, Frick is getting tantalizingly close to firm and rideable in many spots (others are still muck). There are some tracks out there, but for the moment I'm keeping my riding of the inside flavor. Maybe it'll shape up by next weekend if we don't get dumped into the freezer too much in the next few days.

Edit: All of North Park, except for the stuff way at the north end is blazed. Download the maps to your smartphone from the County Parks website (or do what I did and splice 'em together in Photoshop for one giant pdf).

The White Jeff W
    Thanks. Im hoping to jump in on a group ride sometime. Ive had mixed results trying to follow maps/blazes. Same with Frick, I explored once and found some stuff but I know I missed a lot.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Where in the area is the best downhill etc? My favorite section at BRP is the downhill section from the ball fields to the ice rink, I am a former MX/SX rider so I love anything like that.

I did a couple group rides with Danny from Snitgers before but other then that I usually go solo due to time restraints.

mtbr member
    North park has a downhill section. There is a downhill section at frick or schenley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doabackflip View Post
    North park has a downhill section. There is a downhill section at frick or schenley.
    Thats cool. I just looked both of those up, I avoid Pittsburgh at all costs. I hate the city. Has anyone ever rode seven springs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    some great downhills outside of Uniontown. Some are on maps, some are not...

The White Jeff W
    I agree SLT that run down from the ballfields at BRP is sweet.
    No moss...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast