Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    I agree SLT that run down from the ballfields at BRP is sweet.
    I hope to do some work on that whole section on top of the hill once the weather breaks, I would like to add a few jumps in the back section so it should make for a fun little loop. Its going to need some TLC after the damage the horses did also.

I know a couple trails need some trees removed from them, I dont mind trees down within reason as i like jumping over them but when they are down in a way its not possible then they need cleared. One of these days Ill head down with a chainsaw and such and move some stuff. Going to be away for work for a bit but once home the weather should hopefully be decent enough.
    2013 Specialized Rockhopper 29'er

mtbr member
    Went back to Moraine Wednesday to cut out some trees that have been blocking the trails for several months. It was still pretty good. It couldve been ridden. The ground seemed to be mostly thawed but still firm with a few random muddy spots in areas where its always wet. Since then its rained a couple times so I dont know how it is now but it seems like its gonna be ready before anything else in the area.
    Sounds good, I was thinking of hitting this up on Sunday 3/30 (forecast sunny high 57), what side of the lake do you park at? and where do you find the paths? If I dont do moraine im going to try Bavington.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by 03sierraslt View Post
    I hope to do some work on that whole section on top of the hill once the weather breaks, I would like to add a few jumps in the back section so it should make for a fun little loop. Its going to need some TLC after the damage the horses did also.

I know a couple trails need some trees removed from them, I dont mind trees down within reason as i like jumping over them but when they are down in a way its not possible then they need cleared. One of these days Ill head down with a chainsaw and such and move some stuff. Going to be away for work for a bit but once home the weather should hopefully be decent enough.
    I do a lot of trail work at BRP and built or helped build alot of the newer stuff. Keep in mind that the trails are multi use and that horses & hikers need to be able to get around any jumps or other features that go in, and that alot of people like to ride uphill too!

Sounds good, I was thinking of hitting this up on Sunday 3/30 (forecast sunny high 57), what side of the lake do you park at? and where do you find the paths? If I dont do moraine im going to try Bavington.
    The mountain bike trailhead at Moraine is on Mt Union Road on the north side of the lake. Head in on the power line & look for the trail head on the right & follow the red blazes on the trees. The trails blazed in blue are off limits to bikes. Bring your A game. Moraine is tough. I dont know what your schedule is like but Im off work Thursday & Friiday & will probably be going up there one of those days. Might be able to do Sunday, too. You're welcome to join me. Just drop me a PM

If you have or create a Strava acct this link should take you to a map of the trails at Moraine. You'll have to be logged in to see it

http://www.strava.com/segments/explo...p_type/terrain
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 03-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I do a lot of trail work at BRP and built or helped build alot of the newer stuff. Keep in mind that the trails are multi use and that horses & hikers need to be able to get around any jumps or other features that go in, and that alot of people like to ride uphill too!

The mountain bike trailhead at Moraine is on Mt Union Road on the north side of the lake. Head in on the power line & look for the trail head on the right & follow the red blazes on the trees. The trails blazed in blue are off limits to bikes. Bring your A game. Moraine is tough. I dont know what your schedule is like but Im off work Thursday & Friiday & will probably be going up there one of those days. Might be able to do Sunday, too. You're welcome to join me. Just drop me a PM

If you have or create a Strava acct this link should take you to a map of the trails at Moraine. You'll have to be logged in to see it

http://www.strava.com/segments/explo...p_type/terrain
    I hear ya, anything I do will be off to the side or a alternate parallel line. Who knows when I'll actually get time, with a busy work schedule and a baby time is at a premium.

And as for the horses, I am well aware of their activities as they ride past my house and **** on the end of my driveway.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by 03sierraslt View Post

And as for the horses, I am well aware of their activities as they ride past my house and **** on the end of my driveway.

Have you ridden the jump line down the hill from the arboretum?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Have you ridden the jump line down the hill from the arboretum?
    Ya, thats the one that has a jump on the right side followed by a right turn then downhill with the jump on the left Correct? I used to ride that section more but when the creek is high its a PITA to cross it at the bottom which is how I like to climb to the top. I generally ride the section by the ball fields and everything on the South side of the park. I like going up by the horse rink to the top and either heading across the south end towards the playground or sometimes I head though the section on top the hill and go down towards Wildwood Rd. All depends on how much time I have to work with.

I like some of the higher speed singletrack sections on the south side.

mtbr member
    Rode bushy run battlefield(30 miles east of the city). Was near perfect. Wedged my phone in a tree to get a pic of this little drop.

The White Jeff W
    Shame its supposed to rain the next couple days. Every time it starts to dry out it rains or snows. This weather sucks!

I took this picture at Brush Creek April 3 2012. Anyone think it will look that green Thursday?

Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions-523618_3638162912242_476524487_n.jpg
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Rode Brady's Run today. It was excellent! All of the tire ruts have been smoothed out. Im blown away by how well and how fast they've recovered. There were a couple wet spots where its always wet but overall things are looking good! There's still a lot of moisture in the ground but it was firm.

I started at the far end of the park at the end of the lake & rode the service road up the hill & jumped on the trail there at the pavilion. I rode the south trail towards the A frame trailhead and most of the stuff on the Wildwood side then rode the south trail back. I took a saw with me but didnt find any trees that needed cut out. Hopefully the north side is also healing up.
    No moss...

Hermit
    Anyone heard/read/experienced anything about the trail conditions at Bavington? Yeah, I know it's going to rain today, but wondering if there's any chance that the dirt is starting to firm up.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post
    Anyone heard/read/experienced anything about the trail conditions at Bavington? Yeah, I know it's going to rain today, but wondering if there's any chance that the dirt is starting to firm up.

Steve Z
    They have been pretty decent as of late. The rain yesterday was a lot less than called for and I dont think would make much difference out there. The amount of rain today/tomorrow could change that, though
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62 View Post

Steve Z
    Im defiantly heading there on Sunday,I rode it last week and even with the snow it really was not that bad.

Hermit
    Turned out that Bavington trails were pretty firm - way more than I expected.

Unfortunately some equestrians just couldn't wait, so the trails (at least the ones we rode) were pretty horsed up.

Hard to keep a positive attitude towards shared trails when you see long stretches of benching destroyed because there was a horse on it when it was just too damn wet.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

The White Jeff W
    I know what you mean, Steve. Its 10 times worse when its a trail that you built. Its like someone is messing with your kid.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    A friend of mine told me the guy who takes care of the trails at bavington put in over 300 hours this winter to get it right, he also wants to organize a race this year for that track, thats going to be tough if you have stinking horses ruining it.

I was at bavington on sunday around 1030 and the trails where pretty good then.

The White Jeff W
    sml this is the best map of Moraine that Im aware of, courtesy of our friend Steve Z aka swampboy62. If its a nice day there might be some folks in the lot that can show you the way. The Mt Union Road trailhead is in the upper left corner. Like I said, ride in on the power line and look for the trailhead on the right about 50 yards in. Red blaze on the trees. Good luck!

Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions-moraine-trail-map.jpg
    No moss...

mtbr member
    sml this is the best map of Moraine that Im aware of, courtesy of our friend Steve Z aka swampboy62. If its a nice day there might be some folks in the lot that can show you the way. The Mt Union Road trailhead is in the upper left corner. Like I said, ride in on the power line and look for the trailhead on the right about 50 yards in. Red blaze on the trees. Good luck!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moraine trail map.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	883418
    Thanks for all your help

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Which trails at Bavington are the least horsed up? Also, can someone recommend a good route for a first-timer there? Looking to put in a ~3 hr ride. Technical trails preferred. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi all,

I rode Frick the weekend before we got this last chunk of rain and it was in surprisingly better shape than I expected-iron gate trail wasn't in the best shape, but also wasn't the mud puddle that it can be after a bunch of rain. Not sure how everything will be this weekend.

Thanks for the map of Moraine, jeffw-13, I've been meaning to check that place out and didn't know exactly where to start. I hear it's a bit like laurel mountain and rothrock, both of which I really enjoy.

The White Jeff W
    If you like rocks then Moraine is right up your alley.
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post
    Which trails at Bavington are the least horsed up? Also, can someone recommend a good route for a first-timer there? Looking to put in a ~3 hr ride. Technical trails preferred. Thanks.
    I did the loop off of Haul Road last night. There were a few muddy spots but over all the trails were in good shape. I saw some evidence of horse damage on the edges of some trails but most of it has been smoothed out by the bikes.

There really isnt much in the way of technical riding at Bavington. Its mostly like the rest of the Pittsburgh area trails. Most of the tech stuff is north of the city. I dont ride there enough to suggest a route. Id suggest get a good map and go exploring or go with someone who knows the way to the goods.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I did the loop off of Haul Road last night. There were a few muddy spots but over all the trails were in good shape. I saw some evidence of horse damage on the edges of some trails but most of it has been smoothed out by the bikes.

There really isnt much in the way of technical riding at Bavington. Its mostly like the rest of the Pittsburgh area trails. Most of the tech stuff is north of the city. I dont ride there enough to suggest a route. Id suggest get a good map and go exploring or go with someone who knows the way to the goods.
    Thanks. I understand it is nothing like Laurel Mtn., etc., I was just looking for the most challenging (or at least most enjoyable) ride there. I should have worded it that way to begin with. I'm hoping to go this weekend.

The White Jeff W
    I need to ride Laurel Mtn some time. Never been, but Ive heard good things. I like rocks
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I need to ride Laurel Mtn some time. Never been, but Ive heard good things. I like rocks
    Yes, you do. Laurel Mtn. is more than just rocks. The entire ridge is full of unique & challenging outcrop formations. You can ride along the ridge all day without too much elevation gains, or start at Linn Run & climb Quarry/Fish Run ~1200' to the ridge. The Wolf Rocks loop is completely insane. Essentially, a mile long rock garden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone have a trail map to the Laurel Mtn system?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast