Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400 View Post
    Does anyone have a trail map to the Laurel Mtn system?
    Laurel Mountain, Forbes State Forest

mtbr member
    Anyone ride North Park today? Am looking to head up there tomorrow.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    I rode north park today. The conditions were very good. Some muddy spots, but mostly hard pack. I recommend riding it.
    Safe Riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broberts42 View Post
    I rode north park today. The conditions were very good. Some muddy spots, but mostly hard pack. I recommend riding it.
    Sweet, thanks!
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet. ty!
    Quote Originally Posted by steelhmr View Post

mtbr member
    Rode Moraine today for the first time ever, I had a lot of fun, the beginning is insane with the amount of rocks you need to ride over and its very challenging. I did get lost for a good chunk of time but did find the trail again but I know I missed a lot of fun sections, decided to just ride the power line back to the parking lot, did just over 7 miles.

mtbr member
    I rode Boyce Park today, and most sections were very dry.
    Safe Riding

mtbr member
    Rode two mile park over the weekend. Did the race loop(orange marked trails). Was just 4 of us and ran into some regulars. Cracked the bash guard on my bike on a log. No big deal. Was pretty dry. Few parts were slick going up hill. Sucks I only get to ride it once a year being 100 miles away from me.

mtbr member
    I had a friend break 4 ribs while riding a North Park on sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Does anyone know what the conditions at laurel are like? Thinking of heading up in the morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Officially going to Bavington for the first time tomorrow. Looks like I'll be hitting near ideal conditions to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Fxst666 View Post
    Does anyone know what the conditions at laurel are like? Thinking of heading up in the morning.
    As long as it is not wet, I can't imagine the Laurel Mtn. conditions ever being bad. It's at the top of the mountain and it's pretty much all rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Laurel mt should be pretty good right now.

Enjoy Bavington...they're some great trails. The faster you ride, the more fun they are. Not much tech stuff there, but definitely has some good flow.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Squ-eti
    rode Boyce this afternoon. the trails are in great shape! hardpacked with little to no mud spots. no downed trees on the 9 mile loop I rode, and all the log crossings are in good condition as well. if Boyce is that good I imagine just about anywhere else (except maybe Mingo Creek) is in great shape too...get out and ride!!!
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Whiteoak Park was fantastic today. Totally dry!

mtbr member
    Rode South Park today and all trails are in good condition, going down hill is very fast,and I finally had some grip going up them. Put in 9 miles before I started losing air in my rear so I headed home. It feels so good riding on dry dirt, I forgot how fun it was to ride with shorts and a t-shirt and just enjoy the woods. Cant wait til tomorrow and do it over again.

mtbr member
    Rode north park yesterday. The Dr. J was closed. Everything else was dry. 10 min. In a guy that was riding with us flipped over the bars dropping down off a rock and hit his face off the ground. Ended up needing 16 stitches to close up the gash. One of those times you want a full face.

The White Jeff W
    Brady's Run is great right now. A few random wet spots and the stuff near the ballfields could use some TLC but otherwise awesome.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Enjoy Bavington...they're some great trails. The faster you ride, the more fun they are. Not much tech stuff there, but definitely has some good flow.
    Yeah, Bavington was fantastic! Best way I can describe it is if you can imagine trails made almost exclusively of the fast/flowy pine forest sections of Big Bear & Yellow Creek. The trail-building crew out there have done an excellent job. Will definitely be returning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Where outside of Uniontown? I live in the area and hope to get out more this season. My fitness needs a boast so I would love to know if there is somewhere that has some flow to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zach349 View Post
    some great downhills outside of Uniontown. Some are on maps, some are not...
    Where outside of Uniontown? I live in the area and hope to get out more this season. My fitness needs a boast so I would love to know if there is somewhere that has some flow to it.

Like a BOSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzano View Post
    He might be referring to Sugar Loaf Downhill at Ohiopyle, I could be wrong but that's the closest to Uniontown that I know of. Some other trails that are local to you are White Park (Morgantown) and Mingo Creek (Washington) are both single track. I have videos posted on here if you want to get an idea of what the riding is like at White Park.
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    ♦ Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MhzMonster View Post
    He might be referring to Sugar Loaf Downhill at Ohiopyle, I could be wrong but that's the closest to Uniontown that I know of. Some other trails that are local to you are White Park (Morgantown) and Mingo Creek (Washington) are both single track. I have videos posted on here if you want to get an idea of what the riding is like at White Park.
    Thanks! I looked up White Park and it seems like a decent 3 mile loop. Hope to get out there soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Late reply, but thanks for the info on White Park. I've been there a few times now and it's a fun place to ride and enjoy that fact that one really can't get lost. I've gone up into Ohiopyle a few times, but I often ride by myself and am afraid to get lost or crash.

Like a BOSS
    Late reply, but thanks for the info on White Park. I've been there a few times now and it's a fun place to ride and enjoy that fact that one really can't get lost. I've gone up into Ohiopyle a few times, but I often ride by myself and am afraid to get lost or crash.
    No problem. I'm glad you checked it out and enjoyed it. Out of those places I suggested, White Park is definitely where I ride the most. Even though it's not a big park there is enough there to keep it fun. Since you live in Uniontown, let me know if you want to meet up and ride some time.

Some other local trails that you can check out are Baker's Ridge (Morgantown), Big Bear Lake (Hazleton), and Cooper's Rock (Bruceton Mills).
    Adam Christopher
    ♦ Santa Cruz Nomad CC
    ♦ Santa Cruz 5010 CC
    ♦ Specialized Epic Expert
    ♦ Specialized Stumpjumper Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    North and South Park are both loads of fun right now!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    No problem. I'm glad you checked it out and enjoyed it. Out of those places I suggested, White Park is definitely where I ride the most. Even though it's not a big park there is enough there to keep it fun. Since you live in Uniontown, let me know if you want to meet up and ride some time.

Some other local trails that you can check out are Baker's Ridge (Morgantown), Big Bear Lake (Hazleton), and Cooper's Rock (Bruceton Mills).
    Will do. Let me know if you are headed out as well. I'd like to get out this weekend, depending on the weather. I may even take a day off work to go sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Will do. Let me know if you are headed out as well. I'd like to get out this weekend, depending on the weather. I may even take a day off work to go sometime next week.
    Last edited by Dmarzano; 10-29-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Posted Twice

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Where is the best place to pick up the trail in South Park?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Re: Pittsburgh Area Trail Conditions

Here's a sample of the loop we run:

Check out my 14.3 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/203763587

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    I am free the next couple days. Do you want a guide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    A guide would be fantastic, but don't think I can get out this weekend. Greatly appreciated the offer!

mtbr member
    A guide would be fantastic, but don't think I can get out this weekend. Greatly appreciated the offer!
    I ride south park almost everyday, I live right across the street =) so if you plan on riding let me know I could show you around. with it getting dark earlier now, I Highly recommend you bring a light.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vos07 View Post
    Here's a sample of the loop we run:

Check out my 14.3 mi Ride on Strava: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Leafy near Bethel Park | Times and Records | Strava
    I have been riding south park forever and after looking at your strava there is a path I have never ridden its at the point of texas and hundred acre, now I have something new to explore.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon Comp

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I ride south park almost everyday, I live right across the street =) so if you plan on riding let me know I could show you around. with it getting dark earlier now, I Highly recommend you bring a light.
    Will definitely let you know if I can make it to SP sometime soon. Awesome that you live so close and get to ride everyday. I typically can only ride on the weekends due to kids schedules and such.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hey guys, I'll be coming up to the Pittsburgh Area (Beaver Falls - Brady's Run Park, N. Huntingdon - White Oak Park) from Virginia for Thanksgiving. What do you think trail conditions will be like? Has there been/will there be much snow/rain? Trying to figure out if I should bring mountain or road bike.

Thanks!
    Ted

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    Hey guys, I'll be coming up to the Pittsburgh Area (Beaver Falls - Brady's Run Park, N. Huntingdon - White Oak Park) from Virginia for Thanksgiving. What do you think trail conditions will be like? Has there been/will there be much snow/rain? Trying to figure out if I should bring mountain or road bike.

Thanks!
    Ted
    My friend, who is a co-steward at White Oak, rode there yesterday and said the trails were better than he expected. It will be clear the next few days so it should be even better to ride on Thursday, but it may snow that day. Not sure how familiar you are with the trails, but there have been some new ones put in at White Oak over the last year in the vicinity of the Water Tower. A decent downhill segment that now has an extension to take you all the way down to another new segment that leads to the creek bed. Like pretty much every segment there, they can both be ridden in both directions, but the lower segment should definitely be ridden both ways. Here is a recent Strava of his (the new section(s) is in the upper right corner): Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Afternoon Ride near White Oak | Times and Records | Strava

The White Jeff W
    I hiked Brady's Run yesterday. We had some snow last week then a very cold stretch (teens & 20's) followed by some warmer weather & rain. It was wet yesterday but could've been ridden. Looks like warm, dry weather the next couple days. Should be good to go Thursday. We're doing a night ride Wednesday around 7. Where are you staying?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the updates, steelhmr and jeffw-13! The night ride sounds like fun, but I don't think I'll be able to make that one. We're heading up Wednesday, stopping at my sister's in Gibsonia in the afternoon. So I might hit North Park then. We'll be in Beaver Falls through Friday morning, then heading to Irwin/N. Huntingdon until Sunday. So I'm thinking of hitting Brady's Run Thursday and/or Friday morning, then maybe White Oak on Saturday. I'm just trying to sneak in rides of ~1 hr where I can amidst family visits and activities.

I've ridden at Brady's Run a handful of times, but am pretty familiar with the park from growing up nearby. Last year I discovered White Oak at Thanksgiving and rode it again at Christmas, but haven't found all the trails yet. So, thanks for the Strava link!

Ted

The White Jeff W
    How was the riding Ted? It was wet Wednesday night but we rode anyways.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    How was the riding Ted? It was wet Wednesday night but we rode anyways.
    Wednesday was a miserable, long travel day with snowy roads along the way from Virginia, so I gave up on a ride. Figured things might still be wet, so I did a 15 mile ride on the roads around Beaver Falls on Thursday morning. That was fun in a different way.

The payoff was this afternoon, when I got to ride at White Oak park near Irwin. The trails were in pretty good shape, with just a little bit of mud. But last year when I rode here there was snow on the ground, so this was much better. Think I covered most of the route linked above by steelhmr, and agree that they've done a great job with these trails! I really enjoyed it.

Thanks again for the help- I hope to be back in a few weeks around Christmas!
    Ted

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, we're getting ready to head back up to Pittsburgh this weekend. What are trail conditions like these days? TIA!
    Ted

mtbr member
    I rode Boyce park early this morning, and the trails were great. As long as the ground stays frozen, the parks here will be nice. It is supposed to get a little above freezing today and in the high 30s tomorrow. An early morning ride tomorrow is your best bet. Once the ground thaws, it will be sloppy.
    Safe Riding

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks! I see temps are supposed to be a little warmer over the next few days. I'm hoping it's not too bad.

The White Jeff W
    I hit North Park around Noon. Its was muddy. Bailed after a few miles so I woudnt do damage but saw lots of bike racks in the lots.
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 12-21-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

I rode at Brady's Run yesterday afternoon. It was a bit muddy, but not as bad as I'd feared.

The White Jeff W
    Cool. I thought about going after work but was worried it would be soft.
    No moss...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12