mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Pittsburgh area recommendations for communities to live

Have an opportunity to relocate from DC to Pittsburgh, would be working downtown.

Interested in what people consider to be attractive places to live for accessibility to trails, family (homes, schools), and commute to downtown.

We are totally fine with suburban living, probably prefer it.

I do all kinds of riding, e.g., rock gardens, fast flowy trails with drops and table tops(fountainhead in Fairfax county, VA), mountain epics (cut my teeth in SoCal back country and regularly ride in GWNF), and enjoy most single track just to get out and ride.

But for example, if I commuted 30 minutes, get home from work, is there a community within 20 minutes of 7+ miles of single track, or is there great riding just west of town so a suburb on the edges offers easy access?

What do you consider to be the best community to live in for riding access and quality in Pittsburgh?

mtbr member
    I rent in west view and I take the Ross flyer into town from the park n ride. Extremely fast way to get into town as it uses an hov lane and has no stops. It only runs during rush hour though. There is a new flowy but VERY short trail in Bellevue within biking distance. I'm about 15 to 20 minutes from long and flowy north park and 40 minutes from techy moraine state park. Half hour from frick park depending on traffic. The property in West view ranges from fancy to shabby. Frick park is the techiest thing close to the city. It's amazing for how good of a trail it is that near the city. It's in squirrel hill but that is more urban and your commute might be tough with traffic... not sure. Not saying it's for you, but if you work downtown, living near the park n ride really eases the commute and alleviates the parking issue. So the trail access is slightly better than average but the commute is very good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are some great places to ride here in Pittsburgh. North Park, South Park, Frick, Riverview. Just check this site out. Parks & Maps | PTAG - Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group
    I live in the South Hills and though I love the area (suburbs) I am not sure I could come up with a bike friendly route to downtown. I do know that all of our mass transit allows you to carry your bike on board. The main problem with riding from the south is we have tunnels. And not the nice wide ones. The real narrow, you'd have to have a huge set to ride thru. But, if you take mass transit through the tunnels you can ride the rest. Also, you can look into the North Hills which is up near West View.
    Last thought, google bikepgh. There might be some useful info there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the information, this is really helpful. BTW, when I was referring to commute it's driving time or mass transit. It would have to be an ultra-safe route for me to consider bike commuting anymore. In fact, if there's one type of riding I don't enjoy anymore it's urban streets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks again for the PTAG link, impressive amount of trails in the area, especially north of the city. I suspect commuting from the north, e.g., Cranberry TWP to downtown Pittsburgh is 45-60 minutes in rush hour?

The White Jeff W
    Sounds about right. If you're gonna land up that way North Park is excellent.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    cjsb,

If you work in town, then I would avoid anything that requires you to travel through the squirrel hill tunnel or the ft pitt tunnel. It is a nightmare and your commute will suck both ways. The north hills is a good option but it does not have trolley service and the bus service isn't always reliable (they change things up for budget reason all the time.) North park and hartwood acres are both nice places to ride in the north hills. Ross Township would be good but the commute to Cranberry can be pretty long. North is probably the best bet if you want to drive to work everyday.

The south hills (dormont to bethel park) is not to bad and you will have easy access to South Park which is a good riding area. Depending on where you are in the south hills, Bavington is about 30 to 45 minutes away and has an extensive trail system. If you don't mind public transit, Bethel Park will let you ride to South Park on your bike (about 5 or 10 minute bike ride) and have an easy trolley commute into town. The school dist. is also excellent and taxes are low (1% earned income compared to 3% for the city.) Another bonus of bethel is that you are about 1 hr away from truly amazing riding in the laurel highlands.

Good luck with your move!

mtbr member
    You can live in Squirrel Hill or Regents Square (if you can find a house for sale, they go quick) and you would border Frick Park for an easy afternoon ride. To commute to downtown just park (or walk depending on how close you are) at a park and ride along the east busway and you can be downtown in less than 20 minutes. I live in swissvale and ride 1.2 miles from my door to the trails at Frick and walk 0.8 miles to the bus to get to downtown. You can also take the rail trail from these areas straight to downtown with very, very minimal street riding.

As others have mentioned, north park is a great ride, also Hartwood acres, south park ,and moraine. If you're up for a drive, you've got the Allegrippis trails 2.5 hours to the east and Coopers Rock and Big Bear about 2 hours to the south.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Pittsburgh area recommendations for communities to live

These posts are great as I may be moving to the area as well- right now we are looking at McCandles. Interesting place- property taxes seem to be all over the board and seems like the school district although highly ranked is huuuge. I know Cranberry is close by but are there any other towns locals would suggest? From a mtn bike perspective, I would like to stay near North Park...
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...