Thread: Philly riding?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004

Philly riding?

What's the riding like in and around Philly?

I'm used to really technical, rocky limestone trails in the Austin, TX, area and would like to know how Philly compares. Also, when do you stop riding b/c of snow and when do you start back up again? I'm not into layering clothes until I look like the Michelin Man, so I won't be studding my tires for winter riding.

Thanks,

D

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Things here are rocky and rooty tooty!

If you're into technical riding, then you'll feel right at home around Philly and in the 'burbs of Philly. The cool thing about this area is that the terrain changes a lot in just a short drive to trails in any direction from the city. Wissahickon is right in the city limits and is a nice ride, French Creek State Park, Downingtown (which BTW, is freshly legal and happens to start within an eyeshot of Victory Brewing Company), Jim Thorpe.....These are all rocky/Rooty
    Yet there's Blue Marsh near Reading and Fair Hill near the Del./Md./Pa border hub and these are "smoother" and more "flowy".
    As for stopping riding because of cold/snow? I guess some riders do. We've had some mild(er) winters lately. No need to bundle up like the kid in The Christmas Story movie (Red Rider BB gun) at all IMO. We do get a few bad storms now and again that keep us off of the trails for a few days to a week per high snowfall amts. (I hope that I'm not jinx'ing us for this season....)
    But, I mostly ride French Creek and usually, in the middle of winter, there's always cars in the parking lot with bike racks on them and you see other riders out on the trails.

So, was your question just a general one? Plan to move here/visit?
    Last edited by Eastcoaster; 08-19-2007 at 04:08 PM.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    IAs for stopping riding because of cold/snow? I guess some riders do. We've had some mild(er) winters lately. No need to bundle up like the kid in The Christmas Story movie (Red Rider BB gun) at all IMO. We do get a few bad storms now and again that keep us off of the trails for a few days to a week per high snowfall amts. (I hope that I'm not jinx'ing us for this season....)

So, was your question just a general one? Plan to move here/visit?
    Cool! Thanks for the info.

As far as cold goes, unless I'm working, I don't go outdoors much when the temp's below 45-50 degrees. I might be convinved to ride off and on in those conditions, but it's not common. I like the heat. Gimme 90+ degrees days any time over the cold. The cold hurts!

As far as my question, I potentially have a short contract in that PA this fall.

D

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

When you find out if you'll be up here...

Drop a line on the PA boards and I'm sure you'll have plenty of riders willing to show you around so that you hit "the good stuff" while you're here!
    90+ days here are common in the summer (especially earlier this summer) but the problem is up here it's usually associated with high humidity. Totally wipes you out. And, if it has rained recently and it's that hot, it gets like a sauna in the woods under the tree canopy.
    I've never ridden in Tx. But, I have in hot conditions in southern Utah. Hope that you get the chance to come up here to experience it!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Check out the local group....

Check out www.phillymtb.com to help with your needs. The guys on this board and there will take care of you............

Lez go.
    The Wiss is great, and if you want to expand your range, you can head up the NE extension of the PA Turnpike. Can do a day in Jim Thorpe, and about an hour north of there off the Wilkes-Barre exit, the Tubs and Mountain Top (Dead Deer) are some of my favorite tech XC trails, especially in the Fall. I ride year-round and never rode studded tires. Just find something else to do during the miserable stretch of Jan - Feb.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the other forum and post up if/when I make it up there. It sounds like the riding is nice and technical, the way I like it.

D

PMBA Beer Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrostle
    Check out www.phillymtb.com to help with your needs. The guys on this board and there will take care of you............
    Ditto on that!
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    French is the best, get a map at the office, Red white clockwise is great flowy down hill with a technical gut buster climb out. Turtle trail is nice too, Frenc is technical enough that I see 6 in all mountain bikes, flat pedals and some body armor. It has the reputation to claim some bones. Downingtown has some good trails and can be connected via the struble trail to marsh creek that has 20 + miles of trails. One notable trail is root drop, about 10 root drops in a windy bermed DH some 3 feet. Try Brandywine off rt 202 south just in DE good riding but no French. Get out to White CLay Middlerun in DE too, the only place with a full time builder, smooth fast bermed trails and log about 6 good mid trail log rides. they also have the only technical skills loop, a couple skinnies and teeters a fun little loop, its of the blue bryans field trail. Fair hill in MD has 80+ miles of rolling trails, a great place to log some miles, not to mention a beautiful park. Good Luck out there, check out any of the local clubs they all have nice group rides. Once you get acclimated you will learn that a 50 degree day is a total luxury.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdtown1
    Once you get acclimated you will learn that a 50 degree day is a total luxury.

Agreed!!!