mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Philly riders going to Pittsburgh

Iím heading out to Raccoon Creek SP with my family and my brotherís family to camp for a week. Iíve looked at the trail reviews and picked a few spots to ride, mainly west of the city because who wants to spend a lot of time driving not to mention I already getting flack from my wife about doing family things like museums, the zoo, ahhhhÖ

On my list are:
    Bavington
    Settler Cabin
    Bradyís Run
    Frick Park

These all seem like great places to rideÖ is there any ďmust doĒ places that Iím missing? I donít mind driving an hour if itís worth the effort. Also I see that Raccoon Creek allows mountain biking, but have never heard any mention of it anywhere. Anyone been there and is it worth riding?

mtbr member
    Hartwood Acres is a must, but would be a bit of a hike from where you're staying. Bavington is definitely worth hitting...Settler's Cabin, not so much.

mtbr member
    all good choices. bavington is a large area. another is apollo otherwise known as roaring run. the blog pennsylvania dirt has om maps for it as does the website roaring run.org. there is also seven springs if your into more gravity stuff. free lift ticket weekend. both are around an hour or so from downtown. pa dirt also has good info on loops to ride a bavington

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yea, definitely hit frick park. good bit of singletrack, although you do need to keep your eyes peeled for it....you can also generally take different lines too. one of my fav places to ride in the area for sure. i also like climbing.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    hartwood is only about a 15-20 minute drive from frick park, with no traffic. Hartwood is a must, its different than the other parks though, most of the trails end up on a small road that goes through the park. If you hit up hartwood check out "roller coaster" which is a trail next to three statues; red, white, and blue. Check out Dirt Rag, I think they might have a trail map system set up. The dirt rag editing house is at the end of a trail, so you'll see the dirt rag guys a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the information.

We're definitly gonna go to Hartwood and as many other places as we can. I just hope my 45 year old body holds up... between hiking the Laurel highlands and rafting Ohopyle, biking and drinking it should be awesome!

The White Jeff W
    I rode Brady's run a few weeks ago and it was kinda meh. Mighta been better with a guide but I spent most of the time just trying to find the trails, lol.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    There's a nice trail map on the park's website:

http://www.co.beaver.pa.us/Recreation/brady.htm

Click on "Park Layout" near the top of the page.

mtbr member
    Moraine is worthwhile if your going to be on the west side of da burgh. Straight shot up 79, probably make it within an hour.

http://www.spokejunkies.com/reviews/...t_page=moraine

http://www.spokejunkies.com/images/video/moraine.wmv

I rode roaring run for the first time on Saturday, it was incredible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino
    . i also like climbing.
    LOL you have to like climbing to like Frick, because you are either going up hill or down no matter where you are.