8 22.22%
  • I want to do all of the above

11 30.56%
  • I'm more of a sit on the couch kind of person, and am not interested

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Philly is getting a PumpTrack!

You may have already heard about this, but Philly is getting a Pumptrack!

From their website at www.phillypumptrack.org:

The newly merged Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Department (PPR) has teamed up with the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia (BCGP), local mountain bikers, BMXers, Advanced Sports Inc, Neighborhood Bike Works, and Bicycle Therapy to launch the Philly Pumptrack project; the city’s first ever, public pumptrack.

Pumptracks are one of the fastest-growing attractions in biking and are small in scale and can be enjoyed by cyclists of all ages and skill levels. A pumptrack can be placed in a small footprint, requires little maintenance, is fun and teaches riders essential riding skills while building fitness, all in a low-risk environment. A pumptrack in Philadelphia will provide a place for urban youth and adults, close to their homes, where they can ride bikes in safe numbers and in mixed-age groups. The Philadelphia Pumptrack will be a venue where riding and spectating can be a community affair.

The group plans to raise the funds for construction and maintenance and is looking for support from local riders and community members. If you are interested in supporting the Philly Pumptrack through donated services, labor, cash, clean soil, seed, tools, or signage, please contact one of the project leaders mentioned above or just sign up on our Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/PhillyPumptrack

Pretty cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Philly is getting a PumpTrack!-pumptrack_fb.jpg  

Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Awesome! I'd donate some elbow grease to help out depending on the location. Hopefully they'll put in a few tracks around the area.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member

Location TBD

While the location has still yet to be determined, the city has several sites in mind that they are reviewing. Hopefully, we will know soon where it will be.

The really nice thing about this, is that it will be a Park space, hence, access to all. I am REALLY looking forward to this!
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

Dinner for wolves
    I am stoked for this! I hope it comes to fruition. I am constantly eyeing up OPP (other people's property) in the city thinking "sweet spot for a pump track!"
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    The Philly Pumptrack will be announcing their finalist locations this weekend at teh Philly Bike Expo:
    Philly Pumptrack: Join PhillyPumptrack at the PhillyBikeExpo
    Kenn Rymdeko

mtbr member
    If you haven't been, here's a video of last years Philly Bike Expo to give you an idea of what you are missing:
    Philly Bike Expo on Vimeo
    Kenn Rymdeko

Nickel Havr
    When is the expo?

I'd be down to help build...

Edit: I'm an idiot!

October 29-30, 2011, at the 23rd St. Armory
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckstream1 View Post
    Edit: I'm an idiot!

October 29-30, 2011, at the 23rd St. Armory
    I look forward to seeing you!
    Kenn Rymdeko

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    maybe the spot where the old bensalem bmx track was?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiam90 View Post
    maybe the spot where the old bensalem bmx track was?

That would really hurt if they put it there! Best BMX track on the east coast!! I miss it!!
    Never the less, it would be great to have more riding in PA!
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Where is the location, I didnt make it to the expo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haha Kenn, of all the places to "see" you, it's on mtbr.com. Didn't know you were so heavy into the biking industry. Much better than the homebuilding industry for sure.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    The location has been announced! The city has identified a wonderful parcel of land near 52nd and Parkside (in West Park (aka Belmont)) near the Mann Music Center.

We've been partnering with the Philadelphia University's Urban Design Department, and they will be providing up to a dozen different park designs to make it a true park setting. We also are hoping to add a straight line course, which will be able to accomodate tandems. The purpose would be for visually impaired persons to ride on the back of a tandem (as a stoker) to get enjoy the feeling of a pumptrack in a safe environment as well.

Specialized Bikes and Bicycle Therapy provided a P1 Bike to the Philly Pumptrack to raffle off at the Philly Bike Expo. We were able to raise over $1,000 that will go directly towards building materials, and hopefully start a fund for lighting! We would also like to thank Fuji Bikes (Advanced Sports) for donating the wonderful booth space at the expo. Without donors like Specialized, Fuji, Bicycle Therapy and Bikes Belong we would not be anywhere near where we are today. Please be sure to patronize these gracious businesses.
    Kenn Rymdeko

Dinner for wolves
    Oh wow. That is just fantastic news. I live 2.5 mi from there! I can donate $, time, sweat, you name it. This made my day. Thanks Kenn!
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's pretty cool to see my alma mater doing something for the cycling community!
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

chk-chk-boom
    That's great! Looking forward to ripping it up on the track!
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Philly Pumptrack needs your help!!!

The Philly Pumptrack was selected for a spot at the table for the Community Sourced Fundraising from Philly Stake. Dinner participants will get to vote who among ten community projects will receive the money raised from the dinner.

Come out this Sunday for an amazing meal, learn where we are at with the pumptrack and vote for us to receive more funds!

Remember! We were only selected to present our project and we still need you to come out and VOTE to have the Pumptrack receive the grant!

For tickets to the Stake, please visit The GRID Store - GRID presents Philly Stake 3/25/2012

Please be sure to pass this along to your friends who might be interested in a fine meal, and a pumptrack in Philadelphia!
    Kenn Rymdeko

mtbr member
    I forgot to mention...

There will be a leisurely ride to the event leaving at 4:00PM. Bring lights if you have them!
    Meeting Place: the Falls Bridge on Kelly Drive (40.009064, -75.196884 to Philadelphia, PA 19129 - Google Maps)
    Time: 4:00Pm on Sunday
    Distance: about 9 miles round trip at a very leisurely pace
    Kenn Rymdeko

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I hope they give a date to start building at the event Sunday, it's time to start ripping on the Philly pump track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Seriously? When I went to the bike expo and dropped $5 on a bike raffle ticket I thought this was a done deal!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

It is a done deal!

Hey nelzbycks,

The pumptrack is a done deal. It's happening. It has a location. It has all the approval from the important powers. But this isn't a bunch of dirt in a field. This is going to be a recreational facility. It will have permanence and be a place worth going to.

To get it to that point we are in the design and money raising phase. We are still looking at a budget of almost $30,000 for this project. So you see........Fundraising!

The pre-sale of the ticket to the dinner are sold out, but they have 60 tickets at the door for sale. If you want to still come!

PHILLY : STAKE

See ya there!

Harlan

mtbr member

Proposal

the Philly Pumptrack proposal: PHILLY : STAKE

Kenn Rymdeko

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    How much more money has to be raised to get to the 30,000? Is there a date to start building?

chk-chk-boom
    I am a professional coffee processing unit.

mtbr member
    very cool!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast