Votes: 9 24.3%
  • I want to do all of the above

Votes: 11 29.7%
  • I'm more of a sit on the couch kind of person, and am not interested

Votes: 5 13.5%

Philly is getting a PumpTrack!

11K views 77 replies 29 participants last post by  kenn72 
#1 ·
You may have already heard about this, but Philly is getting a Pumptrack!

From their website at www.phillypumptrack.org:

The newly merged Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Department (PPR) has teamed up with the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia (BCGP), local mountain bikers, BMXers, Advanced Sports Inc, Neighborhood Bike Works, and Bicycle Therapy to launch the Philly Pumptrack project; the city's first ever, public pumptrack.

Pumptracks are one of the fastest-growing attractions in biking and are small in scale and can be enjoyed by cyclists of all ages and skill levels. A pumptrack can be placed in a small footprint, requires little maintenance, is fun and teaches riders essential riding skills while building fitness, all in a low-risk environment. A pumptrack in Philadelphia will provide a place for urban youth and adults, close to their homes, where they can ride bikes in safe numbers and in mixed-age groups. The Philadelphia Pumptrack will be a venue where riding and spectating can be a community affair.

The group plans to raise the funds for construction and maintenance and is looking for support from local riders and community members. If you are interested in supporting the Philly Pumptrack through donated services, labor, cash, clean soil, seed, tools, or signage, please contact one of the project leaders mentioned above or just sign up on our Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/PhillyPumptrack

Pretty cool.

Attachments

See less See more
#57 ·
Technically, the track is officially only open on the weekends until summer, noon to 8 PM. Unless a volunteer is available, and the track is dry (which it has been a lot lately). Once the schools let out, the track will be open everyday from noon to 8 PM.

Please check the Facebook page, as the volunteers opening the track post there if the track is open.

#67 ·
That's right, I think the decision to close it during the week is lame. The basketball courts are open during the week. Tennis courts too. What is the reason for closing the public pump track during the week? Presumably it was built for people to use it. That's a lame decision to close it.

I wonder who made that decision and whether it is even enforceable. Unless their is a legal ordinance, the closure is really just a suggestion, not law.

I mean no disrespect to the volunteers but this is a hobby. It isn't like people are out there curing cancer.

Again, please tell me the rationale behind the week-day closure. If there is a good reason I may feel differently.

#78 ·
Thought everyone would appreciate an update....

The pumptrack is now open 7 days a week from 12 - 8 (weather dependent) now that all the Philadelphia schools are on summer break (just like pools). The track is staffed by two city employees, and volunteers.

I don't recommend riding when you want, as the district police officers have been patrolling the area heavily. These officers are cyclists and care deeply about the track, so a citation would not be out of the question.

Also, here is a great video from Nat Bartholomew from our volunteer appreciation day so you can get a great idea of how it works:

(Small edit to the video - the test is actually 6X around the beginner track to get your medal to go on the advanced track for anyone under 18)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.