mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Philly Cyclocross Trails?

Hey all,

Just picked up a Fuji cross comp and was looking for some off-road riding. anyone do cyclocross? or at least know of smooth hardpack trails, I'm guessing beginner MTB trails may work......... would love to find smooth singletrack.....but at this point anything would do.

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Certain sections of the Wissahickon can be fun on a cyclocross, IMO. Pennypack is probably a little more forgiving.

mtbr member
    I'm one of those sick f@cks who will try and ride my cross bike on the same trails as my mountain bike.

That being said, Pennypack is very suited to cross, as are some of the places down in DE and MD like Fairhill.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Belmont

Belmont is a lot smoother then Wiss (in general). Plus it has a network of dirt roads and double track that are great on a cx bike and plenty of trees to practice your dismounts. There used to be a casual x-mas cross race there. Take the exit for the Mann off 76. Go uphill, take first right til the road ends at a gravel road. Enjoy.

You can also go up Kelly Drive and cross at the Strawberry Mansion bridge (involves hiking up creepy steps). Once you cross river trails will be to your left and right.