Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Philly area singletrack that isn't the Wissahickon

If you live in Philly, you ride the Wissahickon, but let's face it - it's not easy. You spend most of your time on punishing climbs and thrilling descents. Sometimes, I would just like to ride some nice rolling singletrack where I can just enjoy myself and get a good workout in nature.

Any suggestions? I've poked around Belmont Plateau a little, but trails are not kept up there and the paths are blocked with too many gigantic fallen trees. I have a car, so I can go other places, I just don't know where to go.

newb
    Jun 2013
    I ride the Wissahickon Trail at least twice a month. A couple weeks ago I was wondering the same thing, so I found the Wissahickon Trial much further north. I dropped in at Germantown Academy and rode the trail all the way to Forbidden Dr. It's only 5 miles one way, but it was flat and fast both ways. I'm not sure how much further north I could've caught the trail, but I know it at least goes through Ambler.

Here is a pin drop
    https://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=...022,-75.218153

There are a couple areas that aren't as groomed, but again, it was an easy ride all the way.
    Last edited by stylEmon; 07-30-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    depends entirely upon your definition of "Philly area" i guess

I also can't speak to most of the ride locations on the maps SEPTR has posted as I don't make it that far east much.

cheers.

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about White Clay.

Nockamixon is fun. I have ridden there a few times and it does not have a huge amount of vertical. Fast and flowy in spots. Pretty buff too.

mtbr member
    Yes, if you can make it to White Clay or Fair Hill, they are both really fun places. About 90 minutes from center city philadelphia. Nox is nice and so is Green Lane. However, these places do not dry well and can be really muddy so I would not recommend those places if it has rained recently.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    I agree that Nockamixon is a fun place to ride (after several dry days).
    Is that Wissahickon Trail well marked starting at the GA campus?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I googled white clay, sounds really nice. I never thought about Delaware, but since I live so close to 95 it's probably the closest time wise. I never even realized there was a Wissahickon trail past the end of forbidden drive. I'll have to explore that area.

mtbr member
    I've seen a sign for the Wissahickon trail in Ambler. It's over the bridge on your left going towards Plymouth Meeting. I've been looking on Google Earth at it and it looks like there is a trail, may be grass though.
    You're supposed to be able to get from North Whales to Forbidden Drive along the watershed. I've explored the North Whales trail and it ends in an alley. So you must need to ride on the road and pick it up somewhere else. Possibly in Blue Bell.
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can't beat white clay (along with middle run and judge Morris which are adjacent parks, trails run through all 3) for flowing single track in this area. White Clay does not have any of the rocky technical stuff that wiss or French creek have but it is fast and fun with opportunities to get a little airborne and lots of miles. It's probably my favorite place to ride in the area.

newb
    Jun 2013
    Technically, that pin drop is still the wissahickon trail. It's not grass; it's actually a pretty smooth dirt trail. Like a mentioned earlier, pretty flat with little obstacles. Some parts in fort Washington are paved. You do run into Stenton ave at some point and have to take roads to forbidden dr, but only for about a mile.
    It's not a bad ride, but a little to relaxing for me. I want to thrash trails and try to break something. :-)

banned
    Apr 2009
    right across the street on the other side of Lincoln Drive is a singletrack trail (ride it up and back)--

start at the far left (where the gas station is)--there is a top and bottom part there. Then you will see a house and a pool on the left (then come to the street where the old police station is)--then walk your bike up that hill and ride to the end (it is at Manayunk ave.)--

REMEMBER here you will be at the top of the bridge above (at one part)--and kids and Whomever hang out here (I never got messed with here)--but there are some sketchy characters up here (getting high or whatever)--that is the ONE Part at the WISS you will not even see any cops.. So I would ride there early or with someone else.. (you never know)--don't wan to get robbed or get pushed off here.. There are some HIGH off the ground spots here.. Like where I told you to start riding (if you go up and above on that trail there is a spot where I started riding then and would walk my bike over that section)--why take a chance when I rode solo and fall off at that spot (you will see it when you ride there)----

but there is a nice Single track section the way there (about 2 miles)--then ride it back... Cause the WISS is Double track mainly (so the Ambulance can get through when people get hurt riding there...)

Then there is Pennypack park (but I have never been there)--and Gloucouster Community College trail??--it is in THE MASS series race every year...

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    This isn't all of the trails in the philly area, just the ones that are accessible by regional rail and a 3-5 mile ride or less: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...41241ace&msa=0
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    I googled white clay, sounds really nice. I never thought about Delaware, but since I live so close to 95 it's probably the closest time wise. I never even realized there was a Wissahickon trail past the end of forbidden drive. I'll have to explore that area.
    If that is the case try White Clay and Fair Hill. I grew next to Fair Hill and have been riding bikes there since the late 70's and 80's. It has changed a lot but there is a ton of riding that has a more natural feel than White clay. That place is nice, but it is almost too well groomed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    that is the ONE Part at the WISS you will not even see any cops.
    That's funny. In my experience, there's only one place in the Wiss you ever will see cops (that's the parking lots at VGI). A big part of the reason mountain-biking is so valuable to the larger Wiss community, IMO.

the WISS is Double track mainly (so the Ambulance can get through when people get hurt riding there...)
    Actually I think it's so they can get the little SK bulldozer through for trail maintenance. I wouldn't bank on any ambulances picking up your broken self on the trails if I were you.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. The others are right, DE and Nox sound like what you're looking for.

banned
    Apr 2009
    there's only one place in the Wiss you ever will see cops (that's the parking lots at VGI).
    Oh Yeah I forgot, cops run parallels in the parking lots because of theft..

I always parked in the lot next to the Inn restaurant and never had any problems (but the one right up that hill does...) Down from CHA..

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Brandywine and Woodlawn Trustees are a bit closer.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Not sure how you could not love Wiss. I've ridden there two days a week, at least for the last four or five years. It's always a challenge. Once you get the groove, you can really rock it out. Nox is pretty close, but there is not that much riding. Less than 10 miles.

White Clay is one of my favorites. But a bunch of my buddies are in the camp that finds it a bit too buff. There are only about 25 miles of trail there and it's not that hard to ride it all in a day.

Fair Hill is fun. Less buff. A bit less obvious. But way more trails and easier to get lost.

There are also a bunch of other places close. Look at the mid atlantic super series schedule to see. Marsh Creek, near West Chester. Nashaminy High School in southern bucks.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Oh yeah, forgot Bear Creek. They just had a small race there the other week, called Nationals. Although, if you aren't keen on the Wiss, you probably won't like this.
    - 2013 Pivot Mach 429 C
    - 2010 Niner MCR
    - 2009 Cannondale Super Six HM
    - 2007 Santa Cruz Super Light

banned
    Apr 2009
    Not sure how you could not love Wiss. I've ridden there two days a week, at least for the last four or five years. It's always a challenge. Once you get the groove, you can really rock it out
    That is what I am sayin'!!!

There is no better trail system in the Country (with location--IN PHILLY)--and trail features (rocks, roots, flow, hills)--and across street is Singletrack, and 5 minutes away is Belmont.. Then you have the famous MANAYUNK wall (for the road race every year) you can ride up..

Then you can ride downtown on East and West River Drive (on both sides of the river)---

Demo 1 for beginners also... THE WISS is Real Mountain Biking (that is what I think riding a mountain with nobby tires is....)--I know the west coast has hills (but smooth AINT what I think about with Mountain Biking..)

I wish I was still in Philly (I used to ride the WISS 5 times a week!!) I was Insanely Spoiled form a mountain Biking Perspective....

--Then you got Reading Terminal, Cheesesteaks, China Town, South Street.... That area is THE BOMB!!! --And who would think to ride Great MTB trails!!!

mtbr member
    247 that's a fantastic post. I just moved out of Rox to the burbs last week and the single biggest thkng I'll miss is being able to have access to some of the best mountain biking anywhere right from my door and without driving. Everything else you mentioned is icing on the cake. 15 years of riding there 2x a week or more to maybe once a week is going to suck.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack View Post
    Not sure how you could not love Wiss. I've ridden there two days a week, at least for the last four or five years. It's always a challenge. Once you get the groove, you can really rock it out. Nox is pretty close, but there is not that much riding. Less than 10 miles.

White Clay is one of my favorites. But a bunch of my buddies are in the camp that finds it a bit too buff. There are only about 25 miles of trail there and it's not that hard to ride it all in a day.

Fair Hill is fun. Less buff. A bit less obvious. But way more trails and easier to get lost.

There are also a bunch of other places close. Look at the mid atlantic super series schedule to see. Marsh Creek, near West Chester. Nashaminy High School in southern bucks.
    I think the whole white clay-middlerun system is more than 25 miles. I think if you do it all, it is closer to 50. Put me in the camp that says it is too buff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Don't get me wrong... I love the Wissahickon. It's just a lot of climbing and downhilling and sometimes I just want to ride some more rolling hills where I can get in the groove, especially in summer when the heat makes climbing a bit overwhelming. I'm still relatively new to biking and would like to build up my endurance and skills somewhere a bit easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    right across the street on the other side of Lincoln Drive is a singletrack trail (ride it up and back)--start at the far left (where the gas station is)--there is a top and bottom part there. Then you will see a house and a pool on the left (then come to the street where the old police station is)--then walk your bike up that hill and ride to the end (it is at Manayunk ave.)--
    You've lost me - the Sunoco gas station at Rittenhouse street and Wissahickon Ave? I followed a trail from above Rittenhouse Street east of Lincoln Drive one time, but it petered out not far past the back of Alden Park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    penny pack is a bit mellower than both wiss or belmont especiially if you stay on the main trails, but it can also get overgrown.

but yeah your best bet for miles of mellow stuff is either fair hill or white clay. if you want to venture west a little, marsh creek lake also has a good bit of non threatening singletrack (takes forever to dry out though).

also once winter hits and things die back a little; batsto in the pine barrens has a really nice trail system that sounds like exactly what your after. probably a little sandy and overgrown in the summer but i dunno, i never ride there aside from winter when it is too wet round these parts and i need a fix.

Rub it............

Re: Philly area singletrack that isn't the Wissahickon

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes, if you can make it to White Clay or Fair Hill, they are both really fun places. About 90 minutes from center city philadelphia. Nox is nice and so is Green Lane. However, these places do not dry well and can be really muddy so I would not recommend those places if it has rained recently.

Less than 90 mins. You can be in Newark, De in 45 mins. Depending on traffic.

Fair Hill is another 20 minutes directly west of White Clay.

Thar being said, State od Delaware is being a real prick right now about the White Clay trail system, so all trail maintenance is on a definite hold. It's overgrown, trees are still down so it's not really rideable right now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast